Empowering Group Program Run-through

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
forever young 06

Re: Empowering Group Program Run-through

Post by forever young 06 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:21 pm

mike the answer to 1 is I guess I feel scared. I know my track record I stick my head in the sand. maybewhen I look back up it will be gone. no 2 as I said I just listened it helped for a while and I know eventually I will have to face my fears and I don't want to.
THH wondered where you were. wow you did it. I hate it when we allow ourselves to get so worked up and it turns out to be okay. I know that must be a real relief. I am having trouble with HA too. I started getting weak spells and weird spells and I went back on meds because of them they got better for a while and are back. I am also having tingling in my fingers and toes. I listen to the relaxtion tape once need to once more tonight.

Ninjafrodo2

Post by Ninjafrodo2 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:14 pm

THH

I do remember you mentioning the dental fear before, seems it is still an issue for you. Feeling comfortable and at ease might be one great goal to have...When you are stuck not knowing what you really want, look at what you don't want and then focus on the opposite. There are other ways but I'll get into that a bit later. I did however notice that when I surrounded myself with creativity and I started working on projects involving pictures from the internet, I started to realize more of my dreams and my goals...this may work for you as well.

and thank you, I was impressed with what I came up with myself.

Forever Young 06:

Alright so right now you are feeling scared and up until this point you haven't been able to do what you thought is expected of you in this program. You also are afraid of facing the fears...alright.

So how would feeling more peaceful in general be a good goal?
And to feel more confident within yourself and empowered?

Also you might get something too from reading the response that I sent to THH

ALL;

Who else here is afraid of facing fears and not wanting to?

I am

THH

Post by THH » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:18 am

When reading my book last night, I started with the introduction. Objectives session 1 ; 3rd one down To see CONTROL is at the base of our anxiety. I don't remember reading that or last night it stuck out to me.
For me this is interesting. Am I afraid to go to the dentist because it is out of my control? I am not able to fix myself and allowing another person to do this is scary. Especially when it comes to health or in your body. Very personal. Maybe a 2 part problem, control & trust. Just thinking an feeling this one out.
Anticipating the fear of being out of control. Creating scary things for what? I can't do anything about it and must rely on another person to help me.

I question everything. Down to the medication they give to treat you. I don't trust that either. Fearing things that are out of my control.Hummmmmm
Anyone else have thoughts on this area of fear?

I will read more today and listen to my cd.

Mike that is a good one, feeling comfortable and at ease with doctoring & dentistry. :) Thanks...
I also like 2 other ones you posted:
1. I want to be able to live in the moment in a peaceful and loving way

2. I want to be able to experience my emotions as they come up and feel confident that I can handle any of them whenever they come up

Good ones for me.
Yes I still struggle very much with this same issue.

I also can make a comment on " I want to have a abundant amount of energy." For me, I have found by helping others, even little things have given me great energy also a feeling of confidence/ self esteem.

Forever- You too with the HA ? uggggh... I feel for you. I share that with you. Do you have any thoughts on my post of the control issue? After going though this several times I never have been able to figure out what I get from this behavior. At first I thought it was attention, but turned out to not be true. We'll see as time goes on. I've at one time or another had a multitude of symptoms. Hopefully we can feel better about even one thing after going though this again it will be helpful!

forever young 06

Post by forever young 06 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:49 am

I hear you THH on the control issue. I think that is the base at a lot of our fears. yet you can never be in total control at all times even though we think we should. I for one at times don't trust Dr but we need to, when we are sick and really need one. I think what Lucinda says about letting go and let God. I hope I can let go of a lot of these emotions that are keeping me stuck and ones that maybe I don't see.
I need to read the workbook today. I have listened to the relaxtion tape this morning but not the lesson tape. I wanted to get on the treadmill and listen to it as I walked but it is warm ought to go out side wish I had it on my mp3 player that was my intention but never did. See all I do is put off. I I am glad we are doing this together hopefully we can help each other and maybe keep us motivated I don't want to stop to early any thing would be better than nothing.

Ninjafrodo2

Post by Ninjafrodo2 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:38 pm

You could totally use the ones you picked from my goal list as your goals as well, THH, I'll give you permission to do that :D

Also since the idea of Control has come up, Forever Young mentioned it to be at the base of anxiety...why do you think that is?

Ninjafrodo2

Post by Ninjafrodo2 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:33 pm

I'm also curious do either of you watch tv and feel really strongly towards some of the characters?

You wish that you were more like them or that life were more like theirs?

Are there certain characteristics that you admire?

Or maybe someone you know in real life?

Oh and my friend will be joining us soon...well as soon as her account has been confirmed.

Mike

forever young 06

Post by forever young 06 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:17 pm

mike more the merrier. why do we always want to be in control? I am not sure, is it we can keep ourselves from panicing I can't seem to answer that. I have suppressed my thoughts and feelings for so long. I have trouble expressing my self and really answering questions. I have phobias I need to get rid of too.I hope we all can move forward with this/.

Ninjafrodo2

Post by Ninjafrodo2 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:48 pm

You answered it just fine...yeah...well the feelings of anxiety can be very scary and its only natural to want to get away from that and if its not known as to how to get rid of the emotion then the only other option really is, is to try to control the outside environment in order to stop the triggering of it. I think we all have realized that, this doesn't always work and it can be detrimental...and that doesn't make anybody bad because of that, thats just the level of coping the person has when pushing away thoughts and feelings doesn't work anymore.

We can go beyond those coping skills, learn and practice better coping skills and then we won't need the older ones anymore. There is one quote that I had picked up from facebook that works best in this situation.

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-24586-Th ... -TFwM.jpeg
The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new.

Mike

THH

Post by THH » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:00 pm

To the question "why do you think that is?" ( Control ) I don't get it... If it is to keep myself from panicking it seams what I do only is more scary than plain old panic? Is this because I am having a blonde moment? I can't see this. duh....help!
I kind of can see, my fear of what is going to happen ( anticipation ) is uncertain and because I don't know I create scary thoughts ? Am I close? Haha.
So if I know I have a dental appt. and I worry, what are they going to find wrong now. Just going creates a emotion I don't know how to manage and I create scary thoughts? No wonder I'm stuck. I don't get it. Sorry...help if you can! PLEASE

Oh good I'm with forever, the more the merrier!

I hope that I am not being to analytical with this one issue. Maybe it will come to me over time. I just have not had a awh haa moment with this "control" issue. And I do like control. I can't say that I have suppressed my thoughts or feelings, maybe I am unaware of some things too? Don't let me hang us up on this issue. I guess I just can't figure out where it belongs in my fear.

Mike to answer your question on tv, no I rarely watch tv. When I do, it is usually court tv, mystery -who done it, or pbs, news, nature, ect... Do not like sitcoms. Kind of out of touch with that one.

Ninjafrodo2

Post by Ninjafrodo2 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:40 pm

Ok I think I might have jumped the gun with my questions when we just started this program run through. I see that forever young 06 said it was hard to answer questions and THH said that it was hard to figure out the answer to the control stuff, I also remember way back when I first started this program and I didn't know the answers either and alot of the answers to the workbook stuff were the same things as the example responses to those workbook questions...so lets hold off of it for now.

How about we focus more on the progress we make through the program, and we can note things that catch our attention and share our answers that we come up for the workbook questions and any insights or information that might compliment the lesson we're on or the program.

I don't think the thought replacement thing starts until lesson 3 so we'll save that for then. The meditation is good to help open us up to answers, insights and being able to think a bit clearer as well.

And yes THH I did see your question, there was a response I had made prior to this one that responds to that question but if you're still confused, its alright. We don't need to find all the answers all at once. Just parts of the answer as we go along.

Mike

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”