Empowering Group Program Run-through

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
forever young 06

Re: Empowering Group Program Run-through

Post by forever young 06 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:10 pm

Mike I couldn't take my daughter places when she was little because of my panic attacks. I developed agrophobia right away after my first panic attack. I have been limited most of my adult life which makes me guilty as I have missed out on so much. I can't change the past but I can change the future. THH I have always did all I could for my daughter and don't regret it. Its just when I am tired and don't feel good it is hard but I still do it any way. I meant to listen to the relaxtion tape at least once haven't yet and wanted to listen the lesson tape too. I can't start this putting off not good. THH where are you today?
funny coach chris I thought you were a man. I did read your story and glad to have you on here with us. feel free to coment any time. we start a new lesson tomorrow. I read thru the book session again. Mike mentioned action assignment and I thought I don't remember that so I looked back over it and did remember reading it.

Ninjafrodo2

Post by Ninjafrodo2 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:22 pm

I thought thats what you ment forever young....its really hard to function normally and give attention or focus to things outside of that safe zone even if it's for the people we care deeply about. I know you feel bad for not being able to give more to your daughter and for missing out on alot of things in your adult life (I can really relate), but at the same time you didn't not do it because you didn't want to, you didn't do it because of a very intense and scary feeling of fear and you needed to protect yourself and feel secure and you didn't have the coping skills or the ability to go beyond that with what you had and even if you did push yourself, with your current level of skills that would have been even more painful for you and that could have made things even worse. Its not your fault that you didn't have a better way but now you have the chance to change that and to give yourself and your daughter the things you couldn't before in the past because of your own struggles.

Mike

THH

Post by THH » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:24 pm

Greetings~ Another day in paradise! LOL...
Today I started thinking about when I could remember starting panic attacks. Funny for years I have not been able to really remember. I think I actually "freeze" and I can't think right, or have much memory.

I think the first one was when I lived far away from family, single, and was in the grocery store standing in line. When all of a sudden I felt dizzy like I may pass out. I had feelings of who will the hospital call, I have no family here. What will happen to me??? Then I remember saying to myself if I pass out I pass out. And it lessened. I went though the line and went home. I worried what had happened but didn't worry too much more about it.
Many years later, my late father in law, needed a ride to the air port. I was available and volunteered to take him. I really had only drove there about 3 times and it was 1 hour away. We were in the heat of going though big bridges, and high bridges and curves, and I was looking for the zoo exit as that would tell me I am on coarse. We were running a little bit late and he was nervous. Then he says to me, We are not going the right way?????!!!! I started getting a bit shaky but felt slightly more confident that we were on track but there was that question, still- as I had not seen the zoo exit.
My heart was pounding and the hole routine, and low and behold was the zoo exit. I knew I was on track and my symptoms decreased. I got him there safe and sound, and he made a slight comment that I did know where I was going.
What I remember most was thinking to myself if he misses the plane, I will put him on another one. If I am not going in the right direction I'll turn around. I can find the stinking airport for goodness sake!

Where is my problem solving skills... where did they go? I did it then why is it such a challenge now? I can beat this...I will keep trying.

Forever,
Mike is right, we do the best we can with what we have. You did really good in spite of the problems you were having. That is because you are strong... We can change the future. It is also good you do not regret what you did, because you were pushing though it and doing it even though you didn't feel like it. That probably did help you maybe more than you realize. I like Joel, ( tv preacher) And he always says to speak favor over your life. Even if you don't feel it. I do believe that works but I too have to have more belief in what I am saying. Be open to believing all things are possible. :)

Mike,
How are you doing? I hope your day ended better than it started. I have had days were I was up for doing things, and could not find anyone to go with me or talk to. It is hard going ahead and doing them alone. Then knowing all the people and still having feelings them is hard. How can you fulfill that need? ( What ways ) I hope your day got better. ;)

Ninjafrodo2

Post by Ninjafrodo2 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:10 pm

I listened to the lesson 1 cd again...what caught my attention was;

Jan said that she felt diffrent from others...she described feeling "one step removed from the world" and I definately relate to that.

In the conversation with Dr.Fischer and Lucinda basette they mentioned the feeling of doom as a symptom of anxiety as well as mood swings...I didn't really see myself having moodswings but yeah I guess I do and the feeling of doom I get as well...this puts it a bit more in perspective as to where it comes from as opposed to actually believing that i'm doomed.

Ken said he got concerned about how he felt all the time and concerned about where he'd be when he got the next one....he said he when he had panic attacks he was afraid he would never be able to think rational again. He also said his world was getting smaller and smaller and the work stuff became routine and jobs got harder...I relate to that too.

Listening about them and hearing about how they have grown from that and how some of them talk about this stuff, ken did an informercial with StressCenter and yeah it is inspiring.

Mike

coachchris

Post by coachchris » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:09 pm

Greetings Everyone :)

One of the things I loved about lesson 1 when I went through the program the first time was that it helped me to answer the question, "How did I get here?" It was very empowering to begin to piece together my story. I had to look back and remember when I first 'lost' control to the adrenalin. After 8 years of coaching I have noticed too that most of us have experienced a 'perfect storm' in our lives when that loss of control took place. Understanding that perfect storm is key. What was happening that day? Had there been stress building? Were you overly tired, not feeling well, too stimulated by caffeine/sugar/alcohol etc? How was your selftalk? Negative, obsessive, panicky?

In lesson one we also look at what we were taught or caught growing up and the parts of our personality that contribute to the adrenalin or depression. So if you're like me, a person who had a lot of adrenalin to begin with, was an obsessive negative thinker, codependent and ultra high expectations, that's quite a recipe for anxiety.

These are some things to think about as your continue this amazing journey you have begun. You are now in the driver's seat of YOUR life. You are becoming that person you know you truly are. Be strong and courageous :)

Coach Chris StressCenter.com

forever young 06

Post by forever young 06 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:41 am

thanks mike, THH for your encouragement. I know I can't change the past and I am trying not to think about the guilt. I have talked with my daughter a lot now that she is grown and she says I did a good job raising her. we have a good relation ship.
I know looking back when I had my first panic attack I was not getting sleep and going niney miles a minute. I don't feel like I am a strong person any way. I have had stomach issues the lot. I was on vacation in smokey mountains and suddenly started feeling funny and strange couldn't go anywhere was in the back seat of the car. I road it out but when I got back home I think I never forgot about it and they started coming more often and soon my world got smaller and smaller like Ken. I even had to quit my job just after my daughter was born. I was afraid to go anywhere in fog then heavy snow storm. I became afraid of about everything. even worrying about my health thinking I had different aliments. I was getting house bound in the 80s and finally went to mental dr and he gave me an anti depressant which I felt like was my only straw so I was determined for it to work. after several months I was getting better able to go places and got on with my life and took medicine for yrs. It changed the thoughts and worry over my health. I was always afraid to go off it as afraid I would get worse again. two yrs ago decided to try the new anti depressants and went on Prozac which helped but went off it last march because of needing to purchase insurance for myself after I lost my job. I started having weird spells which were so physical I thought I was sick but drs couldn't find any thing so I started back on the anti depressant and am having a time still getting straightend out. I think my attacks have changed maybe because of the medicine or I don't know. even now one day I will feel better but then I will have a weird spell. I feel weak and dizzy some times I feel stange in my chest. of course then I get nervous which makes it worse. I have been to the er when this first started now 4 drs later all kinds of blood work. I had been doing good but had a spell yesterday after noon. I am still thinking about it. I live in a rural area and if I had anything serious wrong with me I would have to go to a town 100 miles away and I think that is one of my fears. I need to really give this the best shot I have as I need to get over this once and for all. also were is everyone from? I live in Ky I am 7 miles from the nearest town and it is small.
I am anxious to start this new week because it is the one steps to put an end to panic attacks I would love to get totally well and get of medication once and for all.

Ninjafrodo2

Post by Ninjafrodo2 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:45 pm

THH;
Your problem solving skills as well as every wonderful aspect of who you are is still there, its just that some of those parts are buried under the anxiety. The mind becomes supressed in order to cope with things and the parts that get supressed are some of the parts that help you see things realistically and to calculate and figure things out....that doesn't mean its all blocked off, just alot of it is.

and that day was really hard and I still have remnance of the negative feelings from the triggers...as for fulfilling the need, i had taken the last month off from life and people and my usual activities...so i'm going to get back into them and that will help me reconnect with people.

Forever;
So you are similar to myself then as well with your world getting smaller and smaller and you also seemed to fit the part that dr.fischer said about how he was treating his patents and giving them medication and then they'd go off and come back essentially unchanged because they didn't have coping skills.

Oh and as for the guilt what I've found is that trying to not feel guilt doesn't seem to work...the original thing that started my anxiety was a guilt type situation which I tried to push away for the last 18 years...it didn't seem to work in my favor at all. I've also read that guilt is not actually an emotion but a state, it is shame that we feel in those situations. I decided that since running away doesn't help to try to sit with the feelings of shame and see what happens, maybe that would work for you, have you ever tried it?

And I also like what CoachChris said about lesson 1. I've found that this lesson was really good for making me more aware of the patterns of irrational thoughts and to really focus on all these symptoms and stuff actually being apart of the anxiety condition and not apart of going crazy or something being wrong with me and I have to say, I don't remember ever being as focused on this lesson in any of the run throughs in the past!!

I don't know when I had my first anxiety attack, only when I first had guilt which started this condition. I do remember so many times when I was having extremely intense overwhelming feelings but ignoring them and pretending they didn't exist but no first situation of panic.

I've also held myself back from doing the thought replacement with the many times I got triggered over the last couple of days and just let myself experience the feelings and I feel really good about allowing myself to do that as it really helps me to see that I do need to focus on this and I do need to be aware of what is going on instead of just trying to get rid of the emotions as soon as possible and "not feel that way" which In the past I had used the thought replacement to do that!

Mike

THH

Post by THH » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:47 pm

Listen to my relaxation tape this morning, went for a walk, and played the CD again. I guess I am ready to move to session 2. What stood out to me this time was the word stress. I think stress is the thing for me to keep an eye on. Figuring out my triggers, besides the obvious ( doctors, dentist,) What other things really stress me out. Hearing about pain and sickness those kinds of things really stress me out. These things maybe what causes my panic attacks.

Coach Chris,
Thank you for joining in and giving your thoughts. I really like the way you said " "lost" control to the adrenalin. That really was something I instantly connected to. Also the phrase " How did I get here?" That is exactly my reflection. Of coarse the "perfect storm" because that is what I continue to have creep up into my life. So encouraging that you are doing so well and you share with others. Sometimes for me, if something is rephrased or used different words I can connect better.
I'm sure I have a large supply of adrenalin. And I have all the same traits you did/ do for the perfect recipe for anxiety.
I am going to keep learning more, so I can be better equipped to be able to move forward in my life. Not to be afraid and take more control in different ways.

Mike,
Where are you? Are we going to wait for your friend to join before we move to the next lesson?

Forever,
I liked Ken in the tape as well. I understand the world getting smaller, trying to control everything. Being afraid of getting a panic attack.
I too have at one time or another had stressed over the weather, snow, heat, heights, driving only in certain places, and of coarse the health issues. I've run to the doctor, had ekg, cat scans, blood work up too. The only drug I ever have taken was Xanax. I just would take it while being on med. or going to dentist or during a panic attack. I was not house bound but if I had not pushed through some of this I very well could have been.
When I get the weird spells, I really try to just keep moving to do what ever it was I was doing when it started. I put some music on that I enjoy or do what ever distraction I can to keep me from getting obsessed. If I shut it off it usually goes away. When I start thinking about it IT comes back.
I live in Ohio, rural area like you. My doctor is 1 hour away, and dentist too. The closest traffic light is 7 miles. I am not afraid of living out here though. For some reason it brings me comfort.

I was thinking about that and at one time I lived in a big city. My driving skills was excellent. I drove everywhere. Did not blink an eye. Sense I moved here I have gotten older and don't have to belong in the rat race so when I enter it I feel overwhelmed with the pace. People seam to fly, walk fast, talk fast, drive fast. I guess I just lost my nerve. I don't use that skill very often by being in the middle of all that and when I do it truly overwhelms me. After being in town for awhile I start to feel better, but by then it is time to come home!

I too take a stomach pill and would like to get off that. Doctor said it is better to take it than get a ulcer so I do. One day I am going to get off that one too.

We can do this!!!

Ninjafrodo2

Post by Ninjafrodo2 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:56 pm

THH
Yay for listening to the relaxation cd, great job! One thing I noticed myself with the stress is that I spent so much time in a stressful state that I didn't even know I was feeling stress. Kind of a like a fish being in water it's whole life, it doesn't know the difference between water and air!

As for my friend, she has been doing lesson 1 and reading the posts, I've also posted in the tech forum to get her registered. I think it's best if we carry along with the program and she will join us soon.

Lesson 2 is up...here is the link!
http://forum.stresscenter.com/viewtopic ... 63&t=30298

THH

Post by THH » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:03 pm

MIKE!
Your back!!! Yey...
Thank you for reminding me that my problem solving skills are still there. Buried under the anxiety. Good point! I guess my journey this time will be keeping the anxiety levels low or not letting it effect me so strong.
I too had not really understood this lesson 1 and it seams to be making me more aware this time. I like that too.
Irrational thoughts. Does that mean unreasonable?

Ok. Sounds good.

I too think I live in a state of stress and am totally unaware that I am feeling stress.

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”