Newbie looking for an agarophobic partner

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
bollen

Newbie looking for an agarophobic partner

Post by bollen » Mon May 13, 2013 12:18 pm

Hi
. I am a 75 year old male and had my first panic attack at age 12 sitting at a Church Christmas concert, when I had to rush out and go home.Since then I have had episodes of anxiety disorder that come and go, although I have always had it at the back of my mind. I was very bad in the 70s, but it went away after my mother died.(long story). Often I would get halfway to a Customer or supplier and have to turn round and rush home.In later years I successfully travelled extensively in my job and flew nearly every week, although I was always nervous beforehand about leaving my safety zone.. The problem has become bad again now I am retired. I retired in 2000 to Florida, where I started playing tennis, golf, kayaking etc. One by one my body let me down so now gardening is about all thats left, ands I can't do much of that in the heat and getting angina. So the agoraphobia has come back big time, probably due to boredom. I have been tried on every anti depressant out there with no effect except bad side ones. I took so much valium over the years that I have to take 40mg just to go shopping. We used to cruise, but now I am scared to do it, and had to cancel a 150 mile trip to stay with friends. Two weeks ago we did travel about 75 miles and stayed at a hotel and I did reasonably well. I had been on the course three weeks. Unfortunately I inexplicably fell while walking along a concrete path and knocked out a tooth, hurt my knees and shoulder, so now I'm nervous about even walking on tarmac.Listening to the tapes it doesn't seem agoraphobia is adressed to any degree, and I'm wondering if I'm wasting my money? Any comments would be much appreciated. Thank you, Stu

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”