New and would love to have a workout partner

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
stressedchick

New and would love to have a workout partner

Post by stressedchick » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:09 am

Would love to find a buddy too. I listened to the first lesson, and I decided to skip to lesson 2, but then got into a late discussion with my SO, and was too tired when we finished talking.

In general I think a week per lesson is good, the way the book teaches, so that you can absorb the lesson, and think about it. But the first lesson just seems like group thinking to me, and is something that will irritate me and keep me from moving to the next lesson. I know why I am here, I know there are other people, like me, I know in general what my triggers are, ect. Time for me to start DOING something about it, and stop with this daily freaking out.

I have been in therapy before, and I was doing fine until a recent trauma. Now I cannot function. I was in a support group for that, and I got sick of everyone playing the role of the victim, and every time I expressed what I was happy about, despite there being a lot I am not happy about, the others would try to tell me I was rug sweeping, and drag me back to the poor pitiful me place.

I have been sliding over the last 18months, since my Boyfriend has been traveling, but the last 2 months I have been unstable. First 2 weeks I could not function at all, not I can fake it but still not doing well. Then the past week I have been sliding back to unstable. I cry all the time, I cannot get the ambition to clean or cook. If I am planning to go somewhere alone, I change my mind. I can travel and like to drive, and hike, and anything I can photograph; but as soon as I am alone and have time to think again I freak out. I am driving my BF (and myself) crazy.

I know that even when things are horrible, there is some glimmer of hope. And I need to be in a place that let me build some hope and does not reinforce my thoughts that tell me it is hopeless.

I am 35, have a daughter, and a boyfriend of 2 years who works out of town. I am alone a lot, and that is what triggers me. After my recent trauma, I am 50x worse than before. I have been in cognitive therapy previously, and it did not work for me, but I am willing to give it another chance.

jameys

Re: New and would love to have a workout partner

Post by jameys » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:08 pm

Hello my name is jamey how are feeling today.well im new on this sight and i got StressCenter Sessions and im just on Session 7 tonight.well its been 14 years now and i still cant drive by myself. i just got all this the first of last year and i didnt know if it would help so i didnt pic it up untill now but its Help me some for right now.well getting back to the driveing a car i wish i could drive myself all over the place but im driveing my self to some places but not to far from frome home

stressedchick

Re: New and would love to have a workout partner

Post by stressedchick » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:04 pm

Sorry I did not see your message till right now.

There was a point in my life that I realized I had not left my home in over a year. At the time I was in a horrible marriage, and was in school and a stay at home mom. People kept visiting me, and I never noticed.

Then one day I started to leave and got panicky, then I was all to my self "What is the problem with me? Why can't i leave the house?" And then I realized it had been over a year. I had just shut myself down from people and being hurt that I felt like if I went out people would judge me.

For me I just decided I am going to do this, and what is the worst thing that will happen to me? I can always leave if someone bothers me.

Driving is a different thing. You can't do it if you are FREAKING out. But I would suggest getting someone to go with you to a cemetery or church parking lot and just start with that. My Grandmother always said it was goo to practice driving in a cemetery because there are not many other people, you can practice turns, and if something happens to go horribly wrong you are already there :lol:

Is there any particular reason that driving is hard for you? I was in a REALLY bad car accident once and almost died. I stopped driving for a few years because I totaled my car, had people who could drive me, and then I lived and worked near public transit and did not want to pay for a car. But the first time I drove again after I remember being a little anxious. It has been over 10 years now, but sometimes I still get anxious when I am on the highway with trucks, and I drive at least 1000 miles a week.

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”