noticing my thoughts triggering stress symptoms

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
CarolM

noticing my thoughts triggering stress symptoms

Post by CarolM » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:06 pm

i've been noticing my thoughts are triggering these episodes of stress. During the day i go thru and it's not a full panic attack it's some palpitations/ muscle tension then fatigue/ tight stomach and an overall uneasy feeling. when i feel it i think what was i just thinking about and it was something upsetting to me. just general thoughts abuot not being liked, or good enough feelings of low self esteem. What upsets me is why does my body react SO STRONGLY to every negative thought i have. i feel like my body is completely hipper sensitive and i don't know why. When it happens around people it's embarrassing. i feel like what's wrong with me. :oops: :?

bradley1960

Re: noticing my thoughts triggering stress symptoms

Post by bradley1960 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:25 pm

Carol, I find myself coming back to the course when I allow old habits to return. I have body symptoms too. Chest tension, tight stomach, uneasy feeling, and many mornings I actually gag or wretch. It is my body relieving the stress I create in my thoughts. I find it helps to be immediately thankful for the symptoms as they are signs my body can do what my sloppy thinking hasn't accomplished. I'm going to go through the course again. I will find something new again this time . Stick with it. You have an entire life time to get it right. I don't post much on this board because I don't have a PC. Just this android phone. So if you notice me to respond too slowly don't take it personally. I'm a great procrastinator. And don't be embarrassed in front of others. Most people who don't experience panic wouldn't get through an attack on their own.be strong.Believe. You can do this!!!

coachjanine

Post by coachjanine » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:31 am

Hey Carol . this is coach Janine. Your general thoughts about not feeling good about yourself and low self esteem are just made up by you. They may be part of your belief system (your core story, as Lucinda talks about in her book The Solution.) I had the same beliefs about myself. Maybe it was from my parents divorce when I was 11. But I carried those around with me for years until I realized that they were not true. When we think these thoughts, they are not true only 100% of the time. Get good at writing them down and changing them into true ones. The body symptoms get worse because you expect them to, and yes Bradley, I agree with you. When the body symptoms are there, this is your reminder to get back into the present moment and ask yourself," What is it that I am thinking?" Also If you are obsessing about your thinking, what helped me to get out of the cycle was walking outside and meditating at the same time. After a half hour of doing so I was able to break that cycle. Keep on keeping on!

CarolM

Post by CarolM » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:08 pm

thanks for the support Bradley and coachjanine. This forum is such a huge help. Have people to bounce thought off of really gives me so much help and perspective. i'm going to keep at it. thanks!!! :)

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”