Introduction to Nick Ramsey

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
taco161

Introduction to Nick Ramsey

Post by taco161 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:07 am

Hi my name is Nick Ramsey and I have had generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder. It didn't become noticeable until my sophomore year in high school in 2006 when I was 16. I had was coming home on the bus one day feeling like i was scared and was going to have a heart attack. I came home and I was doing okay just chilling at my desktop computer before my laptop. At 5pm all of a sudden I felt scared, my heart was beating, I felt like my chest was tight like I couldn't breathe. I live in Burlington WA and I had to call my dad when he was coming home from work where I was hysterical and very upset and told him something was wrong. I described what was going on and he said to me nick you are having a panic attack. I was like what. What the heck is that. He explained to me what it was and that he reassured me by calming me down what it was. For the rest of the night I felt just drained and my appetite was poor. For the next few months I didn't like going anywhere and I couldn't get into places like stores or the mall at night. My pattern was I wake up fine and it would build during the day and it reached it's peak at 5pm. I would cry then for a little bit feel better until the next day. I had no trouble sleeping. It was also genetic. My parents struggled through it and find their ways. I had a great support system thank god for that. However I was still miserable and having constant anxiety and my dad said that we need to get you some help. Because I don't have the tools to fix you completely. That was true then I was waiting for others to fix me. As of this year and a couple of years now exactly I started learning that you have the ability to fix yourself and stop asking for reassurance from others. Anyway I went to my primary doctor who referred me to shifa health where a bunch of shrinks throughout the years would refill me on prozac after a month. I started feeling like I wasn't in a dream anywhere that was in a nightmare and felt like I was in hell. Over the years I would relapse and they had to keep upgrading my prozac until I seem like 30 mg keeps me stable. A couple of years ago I started new feelings like feelings of choking, chest pain, headaches, and panicky feelings all the time. Shifa Health prescribed me Klonopin and I feel great with no panic attacks in 2 years. I at times will have scary obscessive thoughts where I would act differently but these medicines helped me to cope and deal with my emotions and life. I just need to learn stop being afraid to get on elevators and learn how to get on airplanes. In december of 2011 my insurance of tricare ran out so I got medcaid so I found out shifa doesn't accept medicaid so for a year in 2011 I saw a counselor named Ryan Strunk and a medicine prescriber named Mary Stewart at a place called Compass Health in Mount Vernon. Eventually their records indicated that I was so stable with my anxiety that my primary care provider could handle my meds which he does of now. I purchased this program because I pursue some more skills other than the counselor that will always value. Lucinda sounds like a person that you want to listen because so far she is right on the point with what my parents are trying to say. The five monthly payments of 49.95 was freaking great because I was on a fixed income. This program is about dedication and practicing. Someone say on tv if you don't use it it is not going to do you anything good. I go back to it everyday and it was a woman named Meredith said that. I'm intrigued by these people who conquered their emotional struggles sharing their fears and success stories. Hopefully I will be there sharing my story on StressCenter. Hopefully I can be in one of Lucinda's groups we will see. If anybody ever needs help or wants to talk email me at nick_work21@hotmail.coom or reply right here your choice if you want to talk. I would love to connect and make friends with other people who are suffering or have went tchrough what I just described. Nice to meet you all of you :)
Last edited by taco161 on Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tranquil vision

Re: Introduction to Nick Ramsey

Post by tranquil vision » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:48 am

Nice to meet you Nick and thanks for sharing your story. Also, in addition to this program i read books by Dr. Claire weekes, a pioneer in panic relief. I used to carry the small paper back book she wrote called "Hope and help for your nerves" (available at amazon) in my purse to grab if i started to panic because the material in this program (except for the reference cards) were not convenient to carry to use as needed. Lets face it, most panic attacks dont happen at home where you have to keep all those bulky materials. She also has a comforting voice that explains the same information as in the paperback book i mentioned on another audio book available for purchase called "Pass through panic" available at the following address http://www.audible.com/pd?asin=B002V0JU2G&bp_ua=y. It is very comforting to listen to when nervous. She explains symptoms and nutty thoughts in a very simple to understand way and how to get relief.
I also used to cry after my panic episodes which caused me to search out their source through my faith/religious beliefs. Many blessings to you in your recovery and deliverance.

taco161

Post by taco161 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:33 am

hi Nick Ramsey back again after two years. I stopped doing this because i was feeling good and my general doctor increased my klonopin to 2 mgs 3 times a day and I was on 30 mgs of prozac. I eventually got bored with this program and say you know what the nightmare and hell is over. It sure was until about 9 days ago it reached a peak. I felt scared, had a major meltdown and wasn't interested in activities like I was so I thought I'm going to dedicate himself for real to change my lifestyle. For the last few days I have been exercising, taking baths, reducing the caffeine and using the program and implicating these skills more. I'm on session 1 and about to go into session 2. I'm going to being participating online regularly. I went to my doctor on Tuesday because of the severe anxiety and described my symptoms. He told me my heart palpations could be physical so he said that should go take a lab test at the hospital to see if I had a problem with one of the three physical problems on the lab sheet I also asked about increasing my Klonopin but my doctor has told me I'm at the max dosage. He did however increase my dosage of Prozac to 40 mgs and so I'm waiting for that to take full effect. I asked about Xanax but he say it's short acting and causes a lot of problems. so after the doctor's i was worried about these results and went to the urgent care center in a state of fear. I went into the blood lab center of the hospital i registered and signed some documents and i went into the blood lab and the nurse had me sit down and strap my right arm and took samples of my blood. After that went home and had actually calmed myself down and was feeling a little like myself again after taking my first 40 mgs of Prozac. After that two days ago the doctor's office called me and told me my lab results were normal much to my relief. However the urgent care center is going to call me and make an appointment so I can wear a 24 hour arm monitor to see if I have high blood pressure or something like that. So i have been having good days lately because I am changing my lifestyle and it is going to stay that way for the rest of my life so i can get rid of my limitations and hopefully get off my medicine. I just do the best I can and take everyday step by step.

coachchris

Post by coachchris » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:50 am

Hi Nick,

This is Coach Chris from the coaching team here at Stress. It's great to have you back and working the program. Cutting back on caffeine and increasing exercise is really going to help your body calm down. Make sure you are staying hydrated and minimize sugars. Curious to hear how your selftalk is and if you find yourself fearing and fighting the adrenalin? How are you doing with the 6 steps from lesson 2?

Wanted to let you know we have free coach chats in the mini-chat room Fridays at 12 p.m. EST and Monday evenings at 9 p.m. This would be a great place for you to connect with others and get extra support.

We are here to help.
Coach Chris StressCenter.com

taco161

Post by taco161 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:30 am

hey coach chris hey that's awesome to hear about the sessions. I will for sure attend one of those. I like to see what I get out of it. Anyway i'm still working on the six steps and i feel anxious which is normal but great to know that cutting back on caffeine and exercising has a major affect on those feelings and makes you feel better. It is a difference I still need help with medication but I know as somebody said it's going to get better

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”