Hard times

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
cmisner

Hard times

Post by cmisner » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:39 pm

I am on week one of the program. Just about 30 min ago the depression hit me hard again and then I started with the anxiety. I was just watching tv relaxing when this happened. Nothing was bothering me. My doc has me an anti-depressant and an anti-anxiety med. It helps but the problem still arises at times. When it happens I get real scared and emotional. All's I can do is cry. This is all really hard for me and frustrating. This all started a year ago and Ive been on disability twice so far from work. Im a 39 year old male who has a great job and life. I dont understand how this all happened to me. Ive always been a strong and motivated person. Well Im not anymore. This thing has really kicked my but. Im scared to death that I wont make it out of this and get the old me back.

Any words of advise or comfort anyone can offer would be most helpfull.

Dixiesmom

Re: Hard times

Post by Dixiesmom » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:01 pm

Just to let you know that I have been there. Know that you WILL make it through this. Positive thinking, however hard it may be, is a must. Don't dwell on the depression and anxiety, that will only make it worse. Find something positive and focus on it, no matter how small it may seem. Try to get up and DO something. Go for a walk, clean a room, or if you can, get involved with someone that needs help - go to a local church and ask if there is someone that may need assistance doing cooking, cleaning, yard work, etc. or visit a local nursing home and volunteer or see if there is a resident that doesn't have any visitors but would like someone to visit every now and then. I know that can seem overwhelming. But, when you can reach out to others it takes the focus off of you, allows you to help others (that gives you something good and positive to focus on about yourself) and it allows you to see that you aren't the only one and that you aren't alone.

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”