cannot relax on relaxation tape

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
progkiller

cannot relax on relaxation tape

Post by progkiller » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:24 am

I have social anxiety and general anxiety disorder. I have purchased this program at the end of 2007. With the help of the relaxation tape and lot of the materials on top of this program, I started to feel that I had gotten a lot better since Sept last year. However, I encounter a difficult problem around these months.

When I do relaxation at night, I close the door and hang up the phone in order to avoid people affecting my concentration. Actually, my family is award of me doing this relaxation exercise and they never disturb me. However, I am always afraid of people coming to my room to disturb me and made me nervous. I had experience before that when I do relaxation in a rush some time, I would feel even more anxious after the exercise. I am so afraid of having the same experience now. This really make me frustrated and I hope somebody can give me some suggestion.

elleniniowa

Re: cannot relax on relaxation tape

Post by elleniniowa » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:17 am

I too have general anxiety disorder, and also major depressive illness, unfortunately. I use the tape at night and in the morning when I first wake up. The relaxations tape just puts me to sleep at night so my CD player is still on in the morning so I play it again then because morning is when I feel the worse. My suggetion is you really need to relax when you are listening to it as you know your family will not disturb you. And never listen to it when you are in a rush and don't have the time to devote to it as that defeats the whole purpose. I am new to the program and I am praying it will help. The reason I can "go to sleep" listening to the tape is because my husband and I are an older couple, and we sleep in different bedrooms. We wouldn't if it was not for the snoring problems we have.. He snored so loudly I could not sleep, and then I noticed he was having periods of not breathing so he was checked out in a sleep center and now he sleeps with a C-pap machine. But now he won't sleep with me because I snore, too, and it keeps him from sleeping. Snoring is just something that comes with age, I guess. I'm not having a problem with breathing correctly and relaxing my body so I do wish there was a tape with just the guided imagery on it. That would work better for me as it it negative thoughts that bother me so much.

Paisleegreen

Re: cannot relax on relaxation tape

Post by Paisleegreen » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:45 pm

Hi to both of you! I got me a portable CD player and finally listened to a different relaxation CD with guided imagery and piano music on it. Also, sounds of ocean waves, birds, bamboo hitting eachother in the wind, and Christ oriented positive thoughts. Lucinda's I could barely listen to after listening to the one I have. I didn't like the electronic sounds at all...it gave me anxiety to listen to it.

The portable CD player allows me to have ear bugs and noone can hear what I'm hearing and I do listen to it privately.

I too, have a snoring husband, who won't go see a Dr about it, but I sleep in the master bedroom and he gets the guest room since he can't hear as well as I and there is an Internet Server in the room and the noise and smell bothers me. Ugh. :roll: Paislee :mrgreen:

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”