Second Time Going Through Program

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
csimmons

Second Time Going Through Program

Post by csimmons » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:45 pm

It's been about a year and I've been doing well, but recently I started to go into a downward spiral. I'm hoping to stay disciplined and get through the program again to set things right again. I need to save myself from myself. Wish me luck! :)

finallyhere

Re: Second Time Going Through Program

Post by finallyhere » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:16 am

Good Luck! Starting session 4 and no skimming ahead. Staying on schedule as the program instructs. Lots of hurt. Need to experience all the internal pain to grow and blossom. Please do your journal (still) and stay in constant contact with your peer support. We all need to go through this together whether it's the first or the next time. No more feeling alone. :)

Jon Paul

Post by Jon Paul » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:09 am

I'm going through the program for my second time also, I recently have had a lot of bad things happen in the past 3 months and it slowly beat me down and threw me into a depression. I'm trying to recover and get my mind thinking positive again. I wish you luck with your second time around.

gmb5900

Post by gmb5900 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:46 am

I just started the program over also after losing my job and realizing I need to get serious about anxiety and depression. I didn't finish the program the first time but I'm committed to finising this time. It's good to know I'm not alone. Let all get well together!

darl125

Post by darl125 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:45 am

I'm just started doing the program for the second time as well. it see when the tough gets going the worse the anxiety gets. The past 2 weeks have been the toughest. I too am on unemployment and its a horrible feeling when it is almost going to run out been there a few times...but i have always made it through. it helps to know that we are not alone. it helps to know that we are not alone. so hang in there everyone.

csimmons

Post by csimmons » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:46 pm

I'm back at it again! After 2 years without anxiety I'm feeling familiar fears creeping up on me. I've started the program a 3rd time. The last time I restarted the program I didn't go all the way through. After a few sessions I felt more at ease and eventually I was able to re-stabilize. Now I'm wondering if I should run through the program in it's entirety. I think it's a safe bet that I'll feel better and get better, I think that I'll come out a stronger person than I was the first time around! It's also very good to see that I'm not alone when it comes to re-starting the program. To be honest it's frustrating having control for so long and then suddenly being without it. But despite this I know that I'll feel better, we fall so we can learn to pick ourselves up! :)

jdt3720

Post by jdt3720 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:30 am

Hey Simmons,

I thought I would post my story here b/c it is so relevant to this section. I am going through the program again, starting from scratch. I originally went through it in 2001 and I was about 70 percent recovered. I even traveled out of the country which was something I never would have considered before.

Problem is, years later I stopped practicing the skills that the program teaches and I'm pretty much back to square one now - afraid to date, socialize, eat in front of other people, travel, etc. I think a lot of people from doing the program start to recover and then think they are okay and then stop with the techniques. Huge mistake. I'm glad I'm not the one that feels this way. Glad to be back on board guys, Take Care.

Josh
37 year old male

mosaic1989

Post by mosaic1989 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:56 pm

Sounds so familar, I too have gone through this before. Recently I plunged to a new bottom. I got in touch with a friend and told her everything for the first time and continue with a coach from Stress, I think it was a big wakeup call to start taking care of myself all the time not just when I feel bad. Past habits are hard to break. Not liking myself has been one of my biggest challenges from I don't even know when. So here we are again but moving a little bit farther than last time. I really do think it is a livelong process. Not that it takes a lifetime to feel better but we have to constantly be reminded what is true and important in life and continue to do self care. And know, that is a big one, we are not alone in this. A process of reemerging from the darkness into the light slowly but surely, it always happens. Then maybe we can do things a little different. It's harder for us because we were not taught these things growing up we have had to learn them as adults, which is harder and more difficult to maintain. But we will get there. Take care to all.

Philippians48

Post by Philippians48 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:05 am

Yes, I think the skills taught in this program are very helpful. However, as we learned in the program, overcoming a disorder with anxiety or panic is not a matter of just going through the program once, and then that is it. Rather, we need to frequently (and, sometimes, deliberately) return to practicing these skills. I myself went through the program some years ago (back when I was a young college student), and it was very helpful. Nevertheless, I notice in myself a constant tendency to return to those bad habits of thinking and acting which are anxiety-producing (and, for this reason, I myself am also going through the program a second time, so as to remind myself of the skills I learned so as to hone and develop those skills). So, yes, I would agree that while an anxiety or panic disorder need not be life-long-- one really can, to a greater or lesser degree, overcome the condition-- the battle, if you will, to overcome the tendency that we have (from our backgrounds and, probably, from our natural, physical dispositions) to return to those bad habits is, I think, a life-long task (meaning, that we will always need to practice those coping skills that we learn in the program in order to help us have greater control over our emotions, and enjoy life). But, that is okay, I believe, for the more we practice, the easier it gets; and, if we fall, we just need to get up again.

And, through it all, God is with us during our times of weakness: "God is close to the broken-hearted....Those whose spirit is crushed, He will save." (And, so, because of this, we can truly say, "When I am weak, then I am strong.")

-Father B.

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things....And the God of peace will be with you." (Philippians 4:8-9)

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”