Relaxation tape, breathing exercise, causing anxiety

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
808girl

Relaxation tape, breathing exercise, causing anxiety

Post by 808girl » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:15 pm

Hi everyone. I just finished week 1 of the program. I've found that the relaxation tape scares me because the breathing exercise is hard for me. Its hard to feel a full, deep breath from my stomach. My chest tightens. Then it caused me to think about it obsessively. I know things are going to get better. I just have to stick with it. Anyone else having a problem with the breathing? Thank you!

polkadot

Re: Relaxation tape, breathing exercise, causing anxiety

Post by polkadot » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:57 pm

Hi!

I just started the relaxation CD about a week ago too. I got a little scared once or twice but I other than that I don't get anxious because I have been working through breathing processes on my own before this. I used to get anxious about breathing techniques too but I find that you don't have to what they tell you to do until you are comfortable to do so. I think it was mainly because someone was telling me to do it and I wasn't just taking the initiative and doing it on my own. When she starts doing the exercise do your own version. I don't get anxious about breathing but I admit I have trouble with her counting part. I just take my own slow deep breaths and exhale when i need to. You should just try practicing taking deep breaths on your own throughout the day and don't worry about the counting.

I've been here too and I promise you will eventually be fine with it! It takes time, it took me like a year to get over the whole breathing thing. Keep up the great work!!

Jacqueline7

Post by Jacqueline7 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:51 pm

I just started this program yesterday. I also got anxiety with the breathing exercise. I have asthma and I can't take a really big full breath sometimes. Then I start thinking I'm going to go into an asthma attack or something else bad will happen. It's stressful....but I find it helps to stop and just think "i'm fine, this is just my anxiety tricking me." It does help.

dwhess504

Post by dwhess504 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:47 pm

You have to go through it the Belly Breathing to me really helps! when I get an attack thats the first thing I do, then the panic is like "oh you trying to get rid of me take This" and then it comes stronger. After a few times though the relaxation tape does help. especially contracting and letting go the muscles

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”