Facial flushing with attacks

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
nrsesarah

Facial flushing with attacks

Post by nrsesarah » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:01 pm

Hi everyone, This is my first big post. I just joined the program and am waiting for the cd's and dvd's to show up. I am a nurse and I work in a trauma hospital in the surgical ICU. Feels good to tell people that but it is a huge source of anxiety. It scares me sometimes to think that peoples lives are in my hands. I have been doing this for about four years now, me and my old roommate did traveling nursing, we left upstate NY and went to the big apple and then LA. It was a great 6 months but when I came back to my bf and old job in upstate I immediately started having anxiety. A lot kind of happened at once.. I moved in with my bf restarted my old job and bought a puppy. The first time i realized i had a panic attack was when I was at work and one of the doctors i knew from before asked me how my trip was... when I started to tell him I felt my adrenaline pumpng and my face feeling hot. The doctor looked at me and said "Why are you turning red? Did I say something wrong?" I was sooo embarassed. I had to walk away, I couldn't calm myself. This was the first time this had ever happened to me and the more I thought about it the more red I turned. I went into the bathroom and splashed water on my face. I knew I had to face the doctor again because I WORKEd with him... I was preparing for that conversation in my mind and it made me anxious all over again. Later on when I saw him again, he appologized whch made me feel like crap because he didnt do anything. I ended up just making a joke and said I was having a hot flash at age 26.
This situation has happened many times after, especially with that doctor, I think he knows I have anxiety now and it makes me more nervous when I am around him. Now he makes jokes to lighten the situation, when all it does is give me more anxiety and reddness in my face. Has anyone else experienced flushing of the face when not embarrased just anxious?

Thank you for listenng
Sarah

LisaS

Re: Facial flushing with attacks

Post by LisaS » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:57 pm

I'm not sure if my face flushes (no one's ever told me) but it sure feels like it when I get an anxiety attack and sweat pours off my forehead. I also get really light headed and it feels like everything's kind of humming. I've definitely felt like I'm going to pass out and a lot of times it's only with certain people like my brother-in-law.
Hopefully this program works. Anxiety's taken most of the fun out of my life :(
Lisa

nrsesarah

Post by nrsesarah » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:34 pm

Yes it definitely has. .. Hopefully once this program is over I will feel more confident about talking to people. I can't wait until I can say what I want to people. It's strange even casual conversation makes me nervous. It stinks...

polkadot

Post by polkadot » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:00 pm

Hi sarah!

I don't think I get red I think I look the opposite, super pale and sickly and I know I definitely have a worried look on my face. Have you thought about confiding in this doctor about your situation. If they aren't the type to make you feel bad then you should. I have confided in several people and it helps. At first it made me nervous, i think because I was making myself vulnerable, which lets be honest I think makes everyone nervous. But I think you should, especially if you work with that doctor a lot. To be honest you don't have anything to lose. Once you take that first step of telling someone it gets a little easier I promise!! Also if you do tell them, just let them know but don't unload on them or apologize for yourself or anything.

Best of luck! You will overcome!

Nate4192

Post by Nate4192 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:00 pm

That happens to me sometimes. At awkward moments, when someone is staring at my face, it turns red. As they stare at me, it worsens until I feel like my face is on fire. I feel like I want to crawl into a hole.

seniyajw

Post by seniyajw » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:36 am

I need someone to talk to. Problems in the recent development of panic for me. I did not even go to the store anymore. So I have no idea if I talked too much here. If I lose. I think I remember reading that we are not supossed to go to a depth of our things. All about gold:Tera Gold Tera Online Gold

drea296

Post by drea296 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:54 pm

I totally understand. One of my first panic attacks happened in my early 20's. I was at a family get together and someone I didn't know very well came up to me and was talking to me and she made a joke. I was fine, and out of no where I wasn't. I could feel the blood rush to my face like a million little pin prickles, I got dizzy, my face felt hot. She asked if I was ok and she said "I was just kidding, I'm sorry." She must have thought she embarrassed me. I'm assuming my face was red and I didn't look very well. I just had to walk away so I could just be alone. It passed quickly but It wouldn't be the last time I would feel that way again. At the time not knowing what was happening to me was scary. But, at the age of thirty it's been years since I had an actual panic attack like that one. I'm just trying to deal with some anxiety and getting over my fear of having another another panic attack. Isn't that kind of funny? I haven't had a panic attack in years, but what's holding me back from doing certain things like driving and being too far from home is my "fear" of having one again. Anyways, I'm right there with ya :) One chapter at a time

dwhess504

Post by dwhess504 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:42 pm

drea296 wrote:I totally understand. One of my first panic attacks happened in my early 20's. I was at a family get together and someone I didn't know very well came up to me and was talking to me and she made a joke. I was fine, and out of no where I wasn't. I could feel the blood rush to my face like a million little pin prickles, I got dizzy, my face felt hot. She asked if I was ok and she said "I was just kidding, I'm sorry." She must have thought she embarrassed me. I'm assuming my face was red and I didn't look very well. I just had to walk away so I could just be alone. It passed quickly but It wouldn't be the last time I would feel that way again. At the time not knowing what was happening to me was scary. But, at the age of thirty it's been years since I had an actual panic attack like that one. I'm just trying to deal with some anxiety and getting over my fear of having another another panic attack. Isn't that kind of funny? I haven't had a panic attack in years, but what's holding me back from doing certain things like driving and being too far from home is my "fear" of having one again. Anyways, I'm right there with ya :) One chapter at a time

HA! Im with you on the Fear thing. I actually havent been having a lot of Panic. then recently I had one. Boom back to me thinking and worring about them more. Yes I get the Flushed face and sweats too. Feels like my face is on fire, Dizzy, want to run away, then I get depersonalization. I bought this program about a year ago and have decided to get back on it.

I have been pretty bad with panic since i Restarted the program, but I know it will work this time. I just keep telling myself
"what if I were panic free" it would be crazy. There is so much I want to do, but Fear holds me back.

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”