do we have a moderator for this program..ill explain

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
pepsilover

do we have a moderator for this program..ill explain

Post by pepsilover » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:34 pm

Im in an online support group and when we have questions a moderator replys to get us through the challenge of the program. So I wonder if there is one here? Were all asking each other and guessing, we need guidance. Well I DO! I'm having trouble with the program, there's so much to do and read and listen to. But I'm not sure what to do next. then she says give a worksheet to my family to understand what I'm going through but where is it? Do I do just session 1 for 1 weekonly. Then session two on the second week or daily? Session one today, session two tomorrow. etc... plus relaxation 3 x a day, go to the gym, change eating, drink tons of water so I spend my whole day reading listening writting and peeing!!! LOL :)
pleae read and reply.
pepsilover

finallyhere

Re: do we have a moderator for this program..ill explain

Post by finallyhere » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:18 pm

Hi pepsilover, I love my diet dr pepper but it has caffein. Can't have that. But will probably have a little once in a while. I can probably help answer some of your questions. First, I don't think there is a program mederator, but one guy did write and said he did talk to a coach once.. best bet there is to call the 800#, 1-800-511-8999, M-F, 9-5 EST. They might be able to answer your question or clear up some confusion for you. This is a self help program so a lot of the guidance could come from the peer support group. I just finished week 1 and it was extremely challenging to get through. I'm not nuts, but it stretched me to the limit. I'm the type of person who needs to know the big picture before I can break it down and start understanding the parts. But I decided to follow the program the way it was set up since I really want to be successful. Took too many shortcuts in my life. I finally committed myself to this method of self-help so I am taking it slow the way it's supposed to be taken. It's frustrating but that's part of what causes my anxiety, so I need to learn to deal with it. I don't think worksheet means to give anyone your Guidebook to read. There's a tape that came with my program for others who would like to support you in your efforts. Can't remember the exact title, gave it to my daughter earlier tonight so she could listen to it. I was very confused about the schedule, but I think I have it down. Session one is for the entire Week 1 and session two is for all of week 2. Relaxation should be done 3xdaily. At the minimum one time as the tape instructs you and then if time is tight, when you are doing something that you don't have to rush through at home, like putting groceries away or cooking a non stressful meal. But not when people are running through the space with a TV blasting or talking on the phone. I read that exercise helps produce a brain chemical that people with depression may not have enough of. Drinking the water is vital. Not so you drink and pee all the time, but I do drink tons of water and always have so drink and pee are already something I'm used to. Healthy body healthy mind is what I understand about the eating thing. When they say reduce sugar, I think they mean food processed with sugar cause it's empty calories and I do know personally about sugar high. I get way jazzed up and then crash to the rocks. If I eat too much sugar I really feel like crap and that's just me without anxiety and depression. I had a really good day today and let me tell you, after last week, (had 2 really tough days- notice I didn't say bad) and I made sure I did and am noticing how awesome it felt. I could never handle the concept of 1 day at a time. I find I can deal with 1 week at a time. I'll be looking forward to hearing from you again in session 2. Hang in there.

pepsilover

Post by pepsilover » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:26 pm

Doctor pepper,
Thank you for all the conversation. I called them today and they had me skipping around to different cds and chapters so I'm
confused like you. I've had it 4 days and am up to session 4 so I'm exhausted plus I work. My anxiety attacks are in the morning alone in my house. So I feel like I gotta get out of here. And that's not good and don't know where it came from. I saw a neurospychologist today who said it could be that my home it triggering a post tramatic event form the past in my home as a child , which I don't buy cuz why is it showing up now and not before? But non the less. I look forward to moving on and hearing from you more.
Pepsilover

finallyhere

Post by finallyhere » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:27 pm

This is an edit to my comment below. Session 1 is all 7 days of week 1. If this is your first week, you should still be on session 1.. you shouldn't be on session 4 until week 4. No wonder your stressed. TMI. I'm on day 4 of week 2 and I'm still on session 2 until the end of the week. With the pace your keeping up, you must be frantic. Please slow down.
On day 4 of the first week, you should be doing the session 1 homework lesson, and writing in your journal every day.

Hi Pepsi, I am really struggling right now. When I'm not on a schedule, my mind races. I start thinking I will start by doing one thing then the next, like a logical sequence, then more and more ideas, to do's, projects, start racing through my mind and everything becomes a jumble. So instead of even accomplishing one goal, I'm a wreck. I know this program is about slowing the pace. And in week 2 I am having difficulty. I am very stressed and the negative self talk is screaming in my brain. I can do positive self talk and have good results, but lose it when I become overwhelmed. Maybe we can work thru this together. It would be helpful knowing that I have someone to listen to and bounce ideas off. I have good ideas, but difficulty putting it into practise. When you're home in the mornings are your thoughts racing out of control like mine? I think maybe if we make a schedule of what to do with that alone home time, what order, in a realistic time frame and stick to it, we can work on your anxiety and my overwhelming myself, to anxiety. When I'm overwhelmed, I'm discouraged, and that leads to the negative thoughts and more depression about stuff in general. Please share what things you do at home in the morning. Maybe a schedule would help structure the time and make you more comfortable. I'm going to try. I need to do something and I'm going to have to make it a number one priority. It's too hard living like this.

pepsilover

Post by pepsilover » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:34 pm

Hey Finallyhere,
My mornings are worst, but I set my alarm for 4:30 take a valium and go back to sleep till 7-7:30, I am fearful of being in my home and there's so much to do so maybe a list is a good idea, a routined list including fun and happy things like:
7:15 wake up,pray, say outloud possitive affirmations, maybe write them down on paper, pray, get a drink,go back to bed do relaxation tape. Go to the gym for 35 min of cardio, go home eat a small healthy breakfast, take a refreshing shower, sit down with a to do list for the day, including fun. like run errands, get chores and work done, stop and get a treat, call a friend and talk about only good things for 15 min. say possitive things outloud, listen to a favorite cd. email a friend fun stuff. get some things done on list. do relaxation tape again, nap or watch a fav. show on tv. then do a meditation. start dinner, fix a fav. snack, love your dogs(me). text a few friends a possitive text. look in the mirror a few times in this day and say you are beautiful, you are smart, you are creative, talented, and for me talk to GOD alot. Plan something fun at night with family, like 1 hand of cards, game, movie, walk. And then go to bed do homework in book, journal, listen to tape and ZZZZZZ.

polkadot

Post by polkadot » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:50 pm

Hi there!

I had some thoughts for ya'll. As self-professed list lover and time management person, becoming scheduled with your life will not help at all. Take it from me, it will only make your life more stressful especially if you cannot follow it, which will eventually happen. I've learned that scheduling out the day makes you feel like your in control but if something does not happen or go your way, it definitely will not help your anxiety.

Regarding your home, do you think there are reasons why you get anxious there? Are you avoiding something, or does it remind you of something?

Something that I have realized is that it is necessary to at least be honest with yourself. If you can't be hones with yourself you will never fully be healed. There are still things I hate to admit to myself, but then I realize no one else knows these things about me or what I think except God. "For who knows a person’s thoughts except their own spirit within them?" 1 Corinthians 2:11. It helps to get at the root, that way the whole problem will go away.

I am a Christian myself and I thought praying all the time was the answer, it is but God wants us to take responsibility for our thougths and emotions and then admit them to Him. He already knows everything so you telling him what he already knows wont surprise him or bring down any unexpected wrath. He wants you to come to him with your problems that way he can help heal you. "Come near to God and he will come near to you" James 4:8.

I can first hand tell you, that confronting my past, even things I had long ago buried has helped. To deal with past anger and sadness and hurt and to admit that you were affected allows you to be human again. It allows you to take the next step towards freedom.

I don't know if this will help you, but I hope this truth helps someone else like it did me.

Keep up the great work! You can overcome this!! :)

finallyhere

Post by finallyhere » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:50 am

Hi Pepsi, This forum is helping me so much. polkadot has offered a view that is different from mine and I like that we can all express what we think and share stuff that works and didn't work. I like what she said about allowing the negative experiences to come out. I am finding that once they are written down in my journal, I am starting to be able to let things go that have been lifetime stumbling blocks. Yes, bad stuff happened to me. But that was then. It's the guilt and the pain that hurts now because a lot of that stuff just doesn't happen now and I have to let go of it. What is it that makes you so nervous at home? I think a lot of my problem was that I didn't like myself and thought I was bad. I have trouble with organization but I am starting to realize that it is definately tied into the racing thoughts. It's hard when you get mixed messages all through life like deadlines, then you hear advice telling you to slow down. Very confusing. You sound extremely busy. I think you have some good ideas. I think (hope I'm not stepping on your toes, polkadot) that maybe what p-dot is trying to get you to understand, is that you have to have alternate plans if something on your schedule doesn't go according to plan. Option A can turn to option B. Something like that. This way you don't have to worry about suffering a horrible let down when something doesn't go right. But you still have a basic map to follow, just know that there are alternate routes. It's wonderful that you have a spiritual base and strong faith. Just remember the message from the program that YOU are your safe person. I used to think I was just plain nuts for talking to myself all the time in my head, but what I am learning is to have productive positive conversations with myself. I always had insomnia, from birth. The relaxation tape is helping me by allowing me to use it as a tool to blank my mind when I lie down to go to sleep. Never tried Valium, but plenty of OTC sleep remedies. Now I am using herbal relaxers. Not sure if the stuff (herbals) work. Could be wasting my money, but my doc says OK just as long as I research them and take as directed. Said it won't hurt me, but may not help either. Thing is you have to take stuff over a period of time to really benefit. Question: Do you keep so busy to keep the panic at bay? Books? What about puzzles, any type. Hard to tell if you have time or not. Do you need to be so busy?

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”