Need a buddy!

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
gogators

Need a buddy!

Post by gogators » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:41 am

Hi everyone -
I am starting my first week with the program. I would like a buddy to work with from day 1 to the very last day of freedom! I am very determined, so I need a strong determined buddy. I am 49 years old, female, college professor, married, Christian, love sports, love family, love life, love humor, and strong-willed! I love old Doris Day movies and Disney World. Now for the good stuff. I have been suffering from anxiety all of my life. I had my first panic attack in 1989 and thought I had cured myself through Claire Weekes book "Hope and Help for your Nerves." I started have bladder pressure in March which escalated to other symptoms and the panic attacks started again. I keep my pelvic muscles so contracted all of the time that it causes these strange sensations all over my body. Especially, my bladder. Weird, huh! I began to obese about these symptoms and WHAM, the anxiety is back! With a vengence! After hearing Lucinda, I realize that I never really got over my anxiety. I just learned to deal with it. Now I have obessive thinking, depression (I'm also going through menopause), racing heart, "tight muscles," crying spells, I'm not interested in anything, and I am afraid to be alone sometimes. I can still drive, work, shop, etc., but I am still pretty miserable in my own little world. I just can't seem to run from my thoughts. I can't shut my brain off! I start a new teaching position at a new college in 3 weeks. Wow! I have been teaching for 4 years as a part-time college instructor and now I am taking the leap to full-time college professor of reading. I need to get this process started before I start my new job. I would love a new attitude to go along with my new job. I need a determined buddy who would like to correspond through this forum daily for support, laughter, sharing stories, etc. There are many layers to my anxiety, but that could take up several pages. If anyone is interested, I would like to count the days one by one. Just like the movie Julie and Julia.

Paisleegreen

Re: Need a buddy!

Post by Paisleegreen » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:38 pm

I will be your buddy! I pretty much have the same interests, one being Doris Day movies, married, Christian, Menopause, and more.

gogators

Post by gogators » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:10 pm

Yeah! I have a buddy! I have just finished listening to the CD for Lesson 1. I "cured" my panic attacks before through relaxtion exercises. I plan on doing them once after lunch and once before dinner today. I also walked 20 minutes this morning. I am having a lot of anxiety today. My pelvic symptoms are driving me crazy. I have pelvic floor dysfunction due to my anxiety. It is terrible. It drives my anxiety. My family basically tells me it's all in my head. Tell my body that! I am trying not to obsessively think about my symptoms today, but it is so hard when they never go away. I know that if I will trust God, trust this program, and most of all try and RELAX, all of this terrible "stuff" will fade away. Welcome my buddy. Day 1!

suggy

Post by suggy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:15 pm

Last edited by suggy on Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:29 am

Way to go, Gogators! I'll respond more later. Just got home from the waterpark where I get great exercise and it releases stress. Plus the sunshine makes me happy. :D Paislee :mrgreen:

gogators

Post by gogators » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:48 am

Thanks paisleegreen! I love sunshine too! Today is a new day. What ever happened yesterday is in the past and today will be a great day! Day 2! I had a min-meltdown yesterday afternoon, but realized it was the result of negative thinking. I WILL do better today. Going to get breakfast, do relaxation, work in my workbook, and see my mom. I hope you have a great day!

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:13 pm

Hi go gators, How are you doing so far? You'll find doing the pencil work and using the relaxation CD is really going to help. And if your Mother is a supportive one, then you are all set for feeling better. I get to see my Therapist today. I might not continue seeing him for the rest of the summer since I'm feeling better and I need to put my money elsewhere. He was very good at diagnosing me with G.A.D. which was a new term for me and definitely explained what I was going through last year. I'm going to enjoy the rest of my summer days since this is when I feel my best. I've been seeing him about twice a month since last August or September, something like that. Very helpful, but his office waiting room and office help give me the heebie jeebies. :P

I'm not sure if it is the color or atmosphere, as my other Dr's office was more relaxed, and personal. It didn't appear to be so "clinical" and it only had two Psychologists and the Psychiatrist who is a sweetie pie. A really wonderful sweet man who is such a good listener, but would miss his appointments due to ill health. So I switched over to a new Psychologist in a fancy med center, because the other Psychologist I was seeing before for Marriage Counseling was on Sabbatical. Anyway, it worked out to see the new Therapist who specializes on CBT. Well, enough of my rambling. ;) Paislee :mrgreen:

gogators

Post by gogators » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:01 pm

Hi Paisleegreen. I have GAD too. I have for a long time. I worry about EVERYTHING! Family, travel, health, etc. If my twin doesn't answer the phone, I automatically think she has been in a car accident. I hate feeling that way. My sister tried to talk me into seeing a psychologist friend of hers, but I really think I can recover using this program. My Day 2 is going pretty good. My family continues to pull me in 7 different directions as to how I need to recover from this "thing." Since I have suffered from anxiety before, they are thinking "oh no, here she goes again." The thing I struggle with most is going through this alone. I am at home all day by myself and sometimes get anxious doing the relaxtion by myself, reading, etc. I WILL keep going, though. My coach from StressCenter is calling me tomorrow morning. I am very excited to share some of my concerns and fears. Hope you are having a great day. We can do this! :D

crusader

Post by crusader » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:47 pm

How do you get a coach or someone to call you??? Im new to this. I have had anxiety off and on since i was 15 and im 29 now. It just recently came back again with a lot of new symtoms... my anxiety attacks can last up to 4 hours at times and sometimes it takes days afterwards to feel somewhat normal again. my biggest fear is that it will come one time and stay forever. im hoping this program helps me relize that cant happen and teaches me how to relax and just live life! I to am christian and have a strong faith in God. I also felt this was bringing me closer to God. Which I am thankful for but I need to live my life and my anxiety is holding me back. If anyone has any information that may help me please e mail me. christymerrill2011@yahoo.com thank you!!!

crusader

Post by crusader » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:16 pm

also you should look up joel osteen on youtube he is great! it really helped me a lot. expecially the thing he says about the ingrediants in your life that God is adding... that made so much sence to me.

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”