Jumpstart dvd question?

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
dargo

Jumpstart dvd question?

Post by dargo » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:41 am

Forgive my over analyzing nature but in the jumpstart video Lucinda often gave self talk phrases to help feel better quickly. Only the phrases highlighted on the screen when she is talking are slightly different than what she says. Simple question which are we to use? Example in the first lesson it is highlighted to to say to yourself - Don't run from the pani. Lucinda goes on to add - accept it. It's ok to be anxious. Are we to just repeat what's on the screen or what Lucinda says verbatim?

jhenry

Re: Jumpstart dvd question?

Post by jhenry » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:56 am

There is no perfect self talk phrase just what comforts you my counselor is always suggesting phrases but I have learned from experience that if I do not really believe it I don't get any relief out of it. Granted I don't really believe life will get better while still living but I do believe it will get better. So I say it will get better and I know that there is no where to run that my issues can't follow me so I realize this feeling stinks, there is not escape but it will get better. Maybe while I am "in a bad way" I don't make any progress but it is okay at least I can't guilt myself about not trying and when I can breathe, think, care and make sense to myself again then I can maybe make some progress. For me not getting worse then my worst is progress because if I don't try I know I will make it worse, so I guess I am always in progress and I know it will get better. Now you think about it for a while and really look at what you believe. Hope I helped.

ElectrifiedBrain

Re: Jumpstart dvd question?

Post by ElectrifiedBrain » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:59 am

just what comforts you[2]

You will have to make your own self-talk phrases because what works for her won't necessarily works for you, and what works for you now won't necessarily work for you later. Self-talk phrases aren't affirmations: You need to actually believe what you're saying now rather than relying on the repetition to make it true for you.
"It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that things are difficult." - Unknown

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”