Hi everyone!

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
Steven_2000

Hi everyone!

Post by Steven_2000 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:23 pm

I just started the program last week and look forward to working through these steps and lessons with you all.

A little about my problem(s) and why I am staring the program:
I have always been a bit of a worrier but for about the last year it has completely taken over my life. I have also always had a fear or problems with public speaking but have always managed to work my through those situations. But now I have the same extreme worrisome feeling about all looming high pressure situations. In my career I am frequently tasked to give presentations, work with auditors, and make convincing arguments to our executive staff. Unbeknownst to my employer and most everyone else in my life just knowing the likelihood that I will be put in these situations sets off a chain of events that almost always leads to me persistently looking for a way out and even questioning my career path.

A couple of years ago, I contacted our confidential employee assistance program for assistance with my problem with public speaking and was referred to a therapist. Throughout the first two sessions with this therapist she had me using a technique called, “Emotion Freedom Technique (EFT)”, I did not feel like this helped me at all. At the end of the second session the therapist urged me to attend a toastmaster’s meeting with her the following week to see if this technique was successful. I told her I would think about it. I never saw this therapist again and could not bring myself to answer the phone when she tried to call. Just the thought of the toastmaster’s meeting coupled with what I was already dealing with at work was too much.

I feel now that I have the fear of fear itself. I fear the physical evidence of fear becoming obvious to my coworkers in these situations. This leads to more physical effects. I now spend a great deal of time just trying to avoid these situations all together.

Again, I look forward to our discussions as we progress through the program.

Steven

teepee58

Re: Hi everyone!

Post by teepee58 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:11 am

Hi Steven.

Best of luck with the program.

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”