Hello Everyone

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
MaryKlick

Hello Everyone

Post by MaryKlick » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:44 pm

I always thought I was strong, assertive and in control. At the early age of 17, I made the tough decision to keep and raise a daughter, almost entirely on my own, for the past thirty years. In my early 20's I beat drug addiction, depression, anxiety and panic attacks which stemmed from the prior addictions. And at 33 I beat breast cancer which at the very same age had taken the lives of my mother and many other women on her side. I had been working ever since the age of 17, and have always maintained a steady source of income and what I thought was a great life.

Then over a period of a year, my life and all I had worked for began to deteriorate. I lost my job, my health and life insurance, my credit status, my unemployment benefits, my boyfriend, and my cell phone. My daughter had a miscarriage, my savings pretty much depleted, and my car died on the way to a job interview. I knew this was depressing but I tried to keep busy and not let it consume me. I went back to school to earn a degree, and began taking certification courses to help enhance my resume. Then one day a fire broke out in my apartment building and although I was barely affected, throughout the ordeal the very thought that I could potentially lose my cats, my home, and all my possessions was so extreme that my hair actually turned white. Within 48 hours of this event, while out performing errands, I experienced a full blown panic attack. I lost complete control of all of my mechanical functions and although I pressed on and finished the errands, I became very concerned.

From that day forward I found I could not focus on school or anything for that matter, I was losing sleep, and I began to feel symptoms of Fibromyalgia which, I know from past experience, is pain most often triggered by depression. The last time I experienced those symptoms I turned to self medication through alcohol which cost me to lose nearly three months of my life. I vowed that I would not let that happen, but found it harder and harder to deny my desires to begin the self medication.

Luckily, I saw the commercial for Stress Centers, made the call, and received the program. After listening to a few of the tapes, I could not believe how very much I related too many of the scenarios which were discussed in the sessions. I now feel that I have more control and a better grasp on reality. The relaxation tape along with the first few sessions really helped me to get some sleep without the use of any prescription or over the counter medications. I am looking forward to learning more about myself through these tapes and how best to overcome my anxieties.

Regards,
Mary S. Klick

garyhermesch52

Re: Hello Everyone

Post by garyhermesch52 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:34 pm

You seem to be a pretty good 'fighter', so that should give you a pretty good chance of 'success'.
My disappointments and struggles in life seem to have had the effect of getting me to get more interested in religion.
If nothing else, at least having something 'religious' to do or think about can serve as a distraction when things seem
really bad.

finallyhere

Re: Hello Everyone

Post by finallyhere » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:19 pm

Day 3 for Finallyhere. Very tired. MK hope you got my PM. Hope everyone is coping for the minute. Later. :|

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”