My second try...

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
panicky13

My second try...

Post by panicky13 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:46 pm

Hi all. This is my second shot at this program. I started the first time several years ago. Was on meds, but went off of them and did really well for quite some time. Unfortunately, it has struck again...and I am finding myself once again asking the same old questions, why? how can I live through this? how long will this last? how can I feel so bad?
I have GAD and I guess a little depression. Today has been a much better day for me, just starting to listen to the tapes brings me comfort. Although I know I am not alone, I feel so alone in this battle, and I have such a great group of understanding and sympathetic people around me. I have to admit, the first time around I didn't finish the entire program. This time, I will. I hate the feelings of anxiety and panic and worry. My dr put me back on meds and I have adivant for emergencies, like right now. I am trying to just lay down and go to sleep, I didn't sleep that well last night, woke at 4 am till about 6 then slept till around 730. I want a good nights sleep, but I just get the rushing feelings coming over me and it makes me nervous and I can't go to sleep, so I panic. Took a pill, hope that will relax me enough to get me through the night.
I also feel really sick right now as I haven't had an appetite or ate much the past few days. Really, probebly longer, I somehow lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks (not good for 5'7" and only 125 to start). I feel weak and tired, yet sleep does not come easily.
I am just so fed up with these feelings, and I am committed to making it through this program so I can lead a life. Any life free of this would be fine.
Any suggestions on getting over this not sleeping at night? (without pills)

Paisleegreen

Re: My second try...

Post by Paisleegreen » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:50 pm

Hi Panicky! Glad to see you here! :) I meant that in a good way! :D This place has helped me a lot! Now for not taking medication, this program will help you. I was able to wean off of Anti-depressants before I heard of Lucinda by using David Burns, 10 Steps to Self Esteem workbook. I was already motivated before I even heard of his workbook, but I had heard of him and had a Psychologist. I do take Temazepam to help me sleep at night. I would prefer not to take that, but it helps me to sleep through my husband's snoring and other noises.

I suffer from GAD and a little depression as well. I would be on anti-depressants if it weren't for the side effects. I was on them for quite some, but also had been okay with life without them as well. So I figured I could manage without them. It is a struggle, but as I work on what I put into my stomach and my "problems" and get exercise. I'm able to function fairly well. I no longer get panic attacks, but still get anxiety when I worry too much about the future.

So I hope we can help you along your way. Paislee :mrgreen:

badey

Re: My second try...

Post by badey » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:28 pm

Panicky,

I have found that listening to some relaxing music, or a good audio book helps me fall asleep without meds. It sounds trite, but that is what has worked for me. It didn't work right away, but over a couple of weeks, it helped me to relax without Klonopin (which is what I have been given for panic/anxiety). Despite feeling anxious, I am able to sleep well due to the relaxation techniques that I have learned.

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”