Being Too Aware of My Emotions

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
MsLavender

Being Too Aware of My Emotions

Post by MsLavender » Sat May 21, 2011 8:14 pm

Hello,

I was just reaching out to my fellow friends. We are all friends because we all share a common bond, we are all human. We live in a world that teaches us not to ever express our feelings or show how we feel. Emotions are thought to make you "weak." The things that I have been through in my life have been traumatic....verbally abused as a child and still have problems to this day with my unsupportive parents. I'm finally confronting how I feel. I have two children and I don't want to be unable to attend dance recitals and school plays b/c of my anxiety and depression. I would love to have a friend that I can converse with.

The first step is to take this condition seriously. My mom was on xanax for 10 years and I don't want to be like that. I want to learn to be my own "safe person." I am ready to get over this anxiety and depression to become all that God has called me to be. I'm tired of never participating in activities and never being able to do things alone. My panic attacks make me feel like I'm literally losing my mind, like reality is closing in on me. But I know that it's not real but in the heat of the moment, it feels very real. I will continue to go through this program and pray to God for guidance and encouragement.

Ms. Lavender

SeekingTheCalm

Re: Being Too Aware of My Emotions

Post by SeekingTheCalm » Sun May 22, 2011 7:32 pm

Hi MsLavender!
I can relate to what you said about living in a world where we're taught not to express emotion. I feel that being a man I experienced this first hand. It's difficult but I'm hopeful this program will help.
I'm in my first week right now. We just need to stick with it and do our best everyday.
Good luck!

mmwillie928

Post by mmwillie928 » Mon May 23, 2011 1:38 am

Ms Lavender,
i am impressed by your awareness of what has happened in your life and of how you want to take control and be your own safe person. you are awesome!
i am taking a second time around on the program. the more i work on it, the more i understand and the better i become. i have to be patient with myself though.
i am sorry to hear about the verbal abuse. i can kind of relate to you guys about it being hard to express yourself. i am a gay man and i grew up in a very conservative church plus im never sure who will be friendly to me or not, and i am sensitve by nature. so put all that together and i fly by people afraid to act like myself or show who i really am cause i am embarrassed or ashamed of myself if a person is someone who might not like me. i know that is a whole self esteem thing. and i am still reminding myself that i should be myself, and more people will like me than i think, but not everyone will and those who don't...oh well. it's self esteem and taking chances issues i guess.
do you think self esteem is the issue with you guys as far as expressing yourselves or allowing yourselves to feel your feelings? that is what it sounds like, but i am guessing.
just as encouragement, this program does help with self esteem A LOT! has been helping me.
if any of you want to write me ever, feel free :)

MsLavender

Post by MsLavender » Mon May 23, 2011 10:53 am

Thank You Mmwillie928 & Seeking the Calm!

I am happy that you all replied to my post. We do have to be patient with ourselves but we must never become stagnant. We have to take this serious like we are getting a grade. The harder we work, the more freedom we will have. It would be a shame to die knowing that we never reached our full potential. I definitely believe that low self-esteem is one of the main culprits! Self-Esteem opens doors and gives you a presence that's undeniable! I will pray for you both, believing that God will heal you. Please pray for me as well. God loves us unconditionally, no matter what the "world" may think. He created all of us with a specific purpose to fulfill, and often because of our own issues we never fulfill them.

I would encourage you both to go to church and bring your problems to the ONLY one who can help you to help Yourself.

oh and don't forget to exercise, it helps a ton!
oh and no downer people that make you feel bad about yourself! eliminate!

xx

MsLAvender

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”