Social Anxiety Help!!!

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
Ottoman

Social Anxiety Help!!!

Post by Ottoman » Thu May 19, 2011 1:23 pm

Does anyone have any specific advise for Social Anxiety?

I realize now that I have had this since I was younger - I'm now 44 and after a recent move and job change my anxiety hit the roof. I have had many many unbearable days and several attacks where I thought I'd rather have died.... I was in meetings where I coudnt move or talk .... I was paralyzed, my mind went numb and I was so embarrased.

I find that at least 1/2 of my days are in fairly intense anxiety - i am always exhaused as a result and really needing some help.

Paisleegreen

Re: Social Anxiety Help!!!

Post by Paisleegreen » Sun May 22, 2011 7:27 pm

How are you doing now?

Ottoman

Post by Ottoman » Tue May 24, 2011 10:33 am

I have definately improved - I still have a constant low level nervousness that seems to peak at times. The six steps in week 2 really helped.

Knowing that I dont look weird when I feel wierd helped, and also knowing that I shouldnt fear or hide from the anxiety but experience it - this was a revelation to me.

I am working on turning my negative thoughts into positives now - I find that quite challenging but I am determined to work through this to victory.

I am tired of getting trampled on!

James

Ottoman

Post by Ottoman » Tue May 24, 2011 10:35 am

along with the course - what is really helping me is memorizing scriptures from the Bible and prayer

MsLavender

Post by MsLavender » Tue May 24, 2011 3:31 pm

I am proud of you!!

Changing jobs and moving into the unknown is scary for anyone. The courage to take that move is awesome!

I am praying with you..... some days I don't even leave my house at all. Get some perspective about your situation...sounds to me like you're almost there! :)

mslavender

Ottoman

Post by Ottoman » Wed May 25, 2011 11:52 am

thank you -

I appreciate your support and prayers very much

James

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Wed May 25, 2011 5:56 pm

That's great, James! I have found changing negative thoughts to positives is challenging as well, but I can tell the difference in how I'm feeling when I do. Yippee! I memorize scriptures as well, as well as hymns. Just recently, it helped me to calm down after a very anxiety producing event where I felt so sick to my stomach, etc. that I finally turned to my piano and started playing some hymns. I started to experience that by playing the piano and then concentrating on words and singing the hymn, it calmed me down and I felt better. Not only because the words were comforting, but the physical act of playing the piano, and the breathing process of singing helped calm me down and feel better. :)

I hadn't played the piano for quite some time...so it felt great and I definitely got a workout on body posture! LOL! When I'm at a computer I can sit back into the chair, not so while playing the piano! :) Paislee :mrgreen:

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”