obsessive thoughts and body symptoms

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
camp11

obsessive thoughts and body symptoms

Post by camp11 » Wed May 11, 2011 2:54 pm

hi all,

I'm new here. For about 5 years now ive been suffering with anxiety and it seems as though it will get a little better, then get progressively worse. Ive read all the books and been to the er and a few other doctors for checkups. nothing. I'm told its anxiety. The thing that is most depressing to me is that I was a standout athlete throughout high school and college. If i wasnt on the baseball field i was in the weightroom or playing basketball in my spare time. I just feel as if everything has been stripped of me and I am a prisoner of something that i know doesnt really exist. Ive had every symptom from the dizziness to difficult breathing to tingling in the hands and nervousness. I hate driving because i am scared of having a panic attack on the road. My biggest worry right now are the palpitations that i have that throw me into a full panic. I now constantly worry about my heart and if i have a problem. I dont exercise anymore because i feel like im going to die. Its made me somewhat agoraphobic, and if i do make it out of the house i am always thinking about if i will have another attack. I hate living like this. its made me into a cold person. I look at what I used to be and look at what i am now and it brings tears to my eyes.

please respond

ac

luvu4u2003

Re: obsessive thoughts and body symptoms

Post by luvu4u2003 » Thu May 12, 2011 12:16 pm

OMG! I completely understand what your saying! I developed panic attacks after my brother died last year. I used to rock climb,kayak,hike, and bike. I too, used to work out regurlary. And I loved my life! The big jolt of change from my brothers death gave me PVC (heart palpitations). I lose my breath and feel like im looking through a glass ball when I go outside(among other things) I will elaborate more if you would like. I felt this crazyness like I was literraly going to die soon from heart attack or breathing difficulty. I spent thousands on cardiologists tests. You have to know this... The week before last I became slightly suicidal. I knew in the back of my mind that I was way to chicken shit to actually do it so I just freaked. When I had that moment of thought, I decided, Im going to bite the bullet and run my wierd little butt off, and if I die SO BE IT! I just felt like I would die doing what I loved... or die alone on my couch. So I put headphones in my ears, got dressed (which took me a hour b/c I was scared of what to wear) and I ran and ran...and ran untill I couldnt anymore. When I stopped I felt like my heart was pumping out of my chest, so I slowed my breathing into 2-4 second per breath. In 2 hold 1 out 4. After 3 minutes my heart felt great and I found myself laying in the grass smiling at the sky. I decided to walk home, I started to feel super wierd again and went into panic mode, so I started running and this time I focused on my breathing. I have been running and slowly inccorporporating my beloved activities back into my life. I almost feel free again. Everyday gets better. If you have any questions please dont hesitate to ask. Use your heart felt pain as your power! Grawl back at it and take charge!!! Best of luck to you sweet heart I feel your pain!

camp11

Post by camp11 » Fri May 13, 2011 6:35 pm

im sorry to hear about your loss. Sounds like you are going through the same thing. It's so weird to me to think that I never worried about anything health related before until i actually stopped playing ball and had too much time on my hands i think.

inspired2change1

Post by inspired2change1 » Sat May 14, 2011 12:48 am

Gosh I tottaly understand, I just started the program, But yesterday I was walking home from breakfast, and I started feeling all weird and dizzy and my heart was beating out of my chest, or so it felt like it..I was so feaked out by the time I got home I was a mess all day, wasted a hole day...

luvu4u2003

Post by luvu4u2003 » Sat May 14, 2011 10:40 pm

My doctor told me recently that when I feel like my heart is pounding out of my chest to lay down with my feet up. It allows even circulation to flow through your body, improving the way your brain and nervous system will react. Has helped so far..
ALl of a sudden my days dont get ruined, just about a hour does. Try it! :)

vickiesunshine11

Post by vickiesunshine11 » Mon May 16, 2011 2:16 pm

hi how are you i'm vickie. i am 28 years old and i have been suffering from the EXACT same things as you since i was 19!!!! trustttt me you're not alone! although i feel bad for your anxiety it makes me feel better that someone else feels the way i do.
i have gotten tests done, blood work, the whole 9.....and then when a doctor tells me i'm fine, i think the doctor is the one with the problem...lol it was reassuring to know someone else sees it as something that "doesn't exsist!"
but yet, it's so hard to train my brain to see things in a logical veiw point. i know just how you feel, if you ever need to chat please don't hesitate=)

AnxiousPanic

Post by AnxiousPanic » Mon May 16, 2011 3:07 pm

Vickie - I have the same problems; I worry that my heart is going to explode but my dr says I can't die from a panic attack. I have several panic attacks every day and the anxiety is SO uncomfortable. I feel like I can't breathe - and that spaced out feeling; I really never told anyone about it because I thought I was going insane!! I've had this anxiety forever and I'm trying to get help now. I've had years of anti-depressants all to no avail. The attacks started after a family member committed suicide when I was a child, and then I was better until we had two more suicides in our family (last one this past December). Now I just can't get beyond the panic; I stress out over everything and I always go to that dark place of worry and doom. I have to work full time - does anyone have any suggestions for these attacks while at work? I get them several times a day; they start right when I wake up. Thank God there others that feel like I do and I'm not alone. I think it's really hard for my husband to understand what I'm going through - it's pure torture. Does anyone else feel like they want to sleep all of the time? Maybe that's my sense of security but it's becoming problematic because I get home from work and just want to go to sleep.

badey

Post by badey » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:30 pm

Hi camp,

I totally understand. I was a high school varsity athlete. I also was very active in college. I had a panic attack with cardiac symptoms about 1 1/2 years ago, and all that changed. I have chest pain every day. It is sometimes associated with shortness of breath, dizziness, tingling in my arm, etc. I have seen many doctors, and have had many tests, but still feel little reassurance. I have become somewhat agorophobic, since home is the place where I feel the safest. I don't like to drive, especially with other people in the car, since it makes me feel trapped.

I'm looking forward to the program and hoping to start living life again.

fender

Post by fender » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:32 pm

You have a lot of company here. Let me ask... How many panic attacks have you had? Out of those, how many killed you? None, ok, how many just hurt you physically? None?! Exactly... None! Keep that in mind the next time you have a panic attack. The tapes say it and I have experienced it. As soon as you quit giving power (fear) to your panic attacks they will quit overcoming you.

camp11

Post by camp11 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:55 pm

I know in my mind that they can't hurt me and I've been dealing with them for years now. But I can't get that through my head, the symptoms still scare me. Recently my cousin has gone through the same thing with anxiety as me, he ended up in the er and had all kinds of tests. So I guided him through everything and coached him on what this is and how to approach it for recovery.....and he feels great right now. It's unreal how I can help him but I can't help myself. It's like I can't believe in myself or believe anything the doctors say.

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”