New to program have lupus and heart disease

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
janetweis

New to program have lupus and heart disease

Post by janetweis » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:02 am

I was diagnosed with lupus thirty years ago and have had a few bouts through the years but all in all was feeling pretty good. Took NSAID daily to control inflammation. Recently started having "angina" attacks which sent me to the ER but each time they would find only a slight rise in my troponin levels and would send me home saying I was fine and it was 90% stress. After five such attacks in the space of four weeks a doc finally looked at my ekg and sent me by ambulance to John's Hopkins for an immediate cath. They found two completely blocked arteries and three others already showing evidence of atherosclersis. They told me that lupus and genetics were the probable cause and I was told that most lupus patients die from this type of heart disease which is 50 times more prevalent among our group than the general population. I'm 58, which probably sounds old to some but when you get there seems pretty young - so I opted for a double bypass operation and am currently at home recovering. The pain is more than I expected and I don't think I'll ever do this again so in hopes of keeping my remaining three arteries open I started this program as I know that stress only makes my condition worse and I've been told I'm not a type A personality but a Type AAA. Anybody else out there have a similar experience and/or some sage advice to offer?

mcshope

Re: New to program have lupus and heart disease

Post by mcshope » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:10 pm

I am sorry to hear all that has happened. I am sure that you will find the help you need for the stress.
There is a section for people with chronic disease. Check those posts. http://forum.stresscenter.com/viewforum.php?f=566

We also have a group that is starting the program together. You are welcome. http://forum.stresscenter.com/viewtopic ... 96&t=25080

Hope

janetweis

Re: New to program have lupus and heart disease

Post by janetweis » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:10 pm

Dear Hope,
Thanks for your reply -I have already checked out the links you suggested and I'm feeling less alone in my plight. I guess the old adage, "Misery loves Company", is true. Janet

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”