Eye contact

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
jwill@01

Eye contact

Post by jwill@01 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:11 pm

I have had anxiety for a year. My anxiety has went through phases and I now have added afear of eye contact. Has any one had this problem and does any body have any solutions.

Pauly J

Re: Eye contact

Post by Pauly J » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:37 am

Do you have social anxiety? If not what do you think brought this about? What is the "meaning" that you give to making eye contact with someone? Also how long have you had this irrational fear?

pauly j

DJ Anxiety

Post by DJ Anxiety » Thu May 12, 2011 2:38 am

I have that issue, ive come to find out that im already in an attack when this happens, and it always seems it happens when people want to talk. and its just so hard to keep eye contact i find myself struggling with that, a not listening to what they are telling me or asking me.

luvu4u2003

Post by luvu4u2003 » Thu May 12, 2011 12:03 pm

I also have this issue. For some reason that I have not yet figured out, I go into panic mode when Im stuck talking to someone I dont really want to talk with. Eye contact really sets me off and I feel like I need to run away so I can catch my breath. It feels so strange to me. Have you been having panic attacks?

chris001

Post by chris001 » Tue May 17, 2011 10:49 pm

Whenever I have been in an audience and I feel like the speaker is looking right at me I look down. It's like they're reading something in my eyes.
I went to see an audience participation play of Romeo and Juliet and felt like the comedian on stage was looking at me. I tried to ignore it or think it was my imagination but a few minutes later he came into the audience of about 100 people and I was picked to be Juliet. The play was a comedy and I am 5'2" and Romeo was over 6'. He was staring at me!
This also happens when I go to church. Somehow I feel like the minister is staring at me. To me he is an authority figure I wouldn't want to disagree with and it makes me nervous when he keeps looking at me. I have stopped going to church.

luvu4u2003

Post by luvu4u2003 » Wed May 18, 2011 10:13 am

Chris, I think you should call your pastor and just explain to him what you are dealing with and try to work it out that way. Most of the time church is there to help. Im sure your Pastor would you help you out with this.

alic7725

Post by alic7725 » Wed May 18, 2011 3:29 pm

I have always this issue too, but it is less of an anxiety issue for me now. I just feel more comfortable talking to someone side by side and not face to face. My mind gets distracted when I keep telling myself I must look this person in the eye and then wondering when to look away because I don't want to stare at them. Then I get concerned I am boring them if their eyes wander or they yawn. I think some people are just less comfortable with eye contact, but it doesn't have to ben an anxiety thing. Sometimes though, when I'm feeling self conscious, I will feel uncomfortable that they are judging how I look.

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”