sudden blood pressure spikes

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
lisalulu

Post by lisalulu » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:19 pm

Please go ASAP and have your ADRENAL glands checked !

98 % of women who have panic attacks have either too low or too high cortisol levels - this produces panic attacks and mimicks many auto immiune and chronic fatigue symptoms

GET TO A DOCTOR and get checked !!!

I was MISDIAGNOSED with 6 different diseases before they did one simple blood test for adrenal insufficincy.

If a doctor won't take the time to do this test and puts you on zoloft or and other panic meds- tell him to screw off -

Make the doctor treat you and not push meds.

CHECK YOUR THYROID AND ADRENAL GLANDS LADIES !!

telfords change

Post by telfords change » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:10 am

blood pressure and pikes is an interesting phenomena. I don't think anybody knows why they get worse with time. one reason is of course your blood vessels get clogged up with deposits and hence the heart works harder to pump through. thinks i like to mention that was not said in any of the above. 1) first is sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is when you stop breating at night when you are asleep. of most of us will not see/feel it. some do, when they are force to wake up, when bereathing locks up for too long. The body has a remionder to wake you up, but you go back to sleep unnoticed or some will wake up enough to know they were woken up. People can stop breathing for as long as a minute and more and for more than 30 times each night(in my case). Snorers are a good first indication if you are likely to suffer from sleep apnea. sleep apnea can raise your blood pressure during the day. Lets face it anybody with a bad nights sleep is going to be 'pressured'the next day. another is all you fatties out there, the chances are you will suffer from sleep apnea. you are allowed 5 times of no breating during the night. anything more is adnormal. Sleep apnea is caused by your tongue and the soft palatte at the back of your mouth falling back and shutting the breating passage during sleep. Fatties will have lots of fat tisue to fall back. but this is not a fatties only problem. The design of your inner mouth can be responsible for it. Sleep clinics will tell you after a nights test if you suffer from sleep apnea or not and how many times during the night you actually stop breathing. to correct this: 1) you dentist can help you make a 'gadget' that is used at night in your mouth when you sleep. this is the cheaper verion. also you can get CPAP machines, that will blow air down your airways while you sleep, keeping the breating passage open. You correct your sleep apnea, the next day your blood presure is dowm. But actually i would also like to point out that this will also correct your depression, anxiety and is the 'magic pill' that corrects everything. A good uninterrupted sleep at night is the wonder 'drug'. I don't know why the design of our sleep phase was done so badly during the evolutionary process. you can check all this in the net for more information. This is my contribution to the future of mankind. My next point i was going to make, i have forgotten. oh yes, i think, it was that some of your blood pressure tablets also creates depresion and anxiety. some are banned in certain countries, like amlodipine is banned in holland. (They gave him a thorough examination, found out that he was on Amlodopine and, because that drug is apparently banned in Holland, took him off it and put him on something else. copied from another site). so you see why your blood pressure tablets have to go with these depresive tablets. one creates for the other to exists. OK i hope i have added something new for you to think about. bye for no.

GainesVAman

Post by GainesVAman » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:35 pm

I have high blood pressure and I also sometimes have spikes in blood pressure. When I have a bad episode I am awoken from my sleep. My heart rate is elevated but not racing, but I feel it thumping in my chest. I get my monitor and check it, it 180/115. This has always frightened me. I've been to the ER several times in the past couple of years, admited twice, all to find nothing on ekg or blood work or anything.

From what I've read on these posts I'm leaning toward sleep apnea for my case. Some you other out there might want to check for food allergies. I hear Monosodium Glutumate can cause these symptoms. I have these episodes only on nights that I have had chinese food or buffalo chicken wings. I don't know if there is a correlation. I'm been to the doctor, had stress echo and found nothing. They just prescribed high blood pressure meds. I'm on lisinopril. I have fixed my diet, exercize some, and take my meds. I have only had my latest spikes when I've eaten chinese food or chicken wings that night and went to bed. I am awakened with pulse high and blood pressure high. Also important, I tend to slouch. When I take my blood pressure slouching its is 10-15 points higher than when I lean all the way back in my chair. I think i'm constricting vessels or something. I'm still overwieght but I think the combination of food (diet), and poor sleep habits and posture and anxiety all play a factor. I hope this helps, you all have help me, thank you and good luck!

poet BTG

Post by poet BTG » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:39 am

Good suggestion. I have been going to a Chiropractic nutritionist, the first thing he did was check my adrenals and said they were in terrible shape. With a special diet and detoxification, I have cut my bp meds in half (not good enough but on the way), adding this program in has been a huge help -- have not had a bp spike in a long time.

rkg33

Post by rkg33 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:08 am

i was told for 10 years or so that i was having anxiety. i had and have bp spikes, palps, racing heart, weird feeling in my chest. long story short last year i woke up with my heart racing/thumping. went to the er and ekg finally picked up atrial fib. all this time ive had an arrhythmia. anyone whos told they have anxiety and you feel as if you don't (as i did) please know arrhythmias mimic anxiety. they are hard to diagnose because they must be caught at the moment they are happening.

poet BTG

Post by poet BTG » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:52 pm

good reminder that even if we're sure it's anxiety that we do need to check and make sure nothing else is wrong as well

Toeshoes

Post by Toeshoes » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:37 am

This is the nature of the beast. And a traumatic event as I will describe has made it worse. I have been monitored in the hospital after suffering from a stroke when I took the H1N1 vaccine and within 24 hours was paralyzed so after this experience there was a lot of post traumatic stress.

I am fine and walking now which is amazing in and of itself but one doctor gave me Zoloft and it created such severe burning and blood pressure problems that they have me take Atavan on really bad days. They took me off the meds and what I didn't realize was now I have withdrawal symptoms from thst. I started the program in March but am off to a rocky start by this second event. I was working through post traumatic syndrome with the stroke as it was. Here is what my neurologist talked to me about the BP spikes: he assures me they are part of the panic attack disorder and that they will not cause the stroke rather there are other underlying conditions that cause heart attack and stroke. The problem is when you take your blood pressure it scares you and then it just gets worse for you as the day or night goes on. Use the blood pressure cuff to gauge how panicky you are and take it again when you feel really good. Realize once that adrenaline releases you won't get a good reading for awhile. I have learned to just say OK I am panicking and put the cuff away. Not an easy thing to do and live with is it? Last night after a day of adrenaline from earthquake rumblings in Calif- I woke with a panic attack of 198/120 and my pulse was 130. Even with the Atavan in my system and blood pressure meds. So I thought I give up- I am going back to sleep if I can and each panic after that was a little less. It makes me feel comfort to know that I am not alone- getting up and watching television helps - that is how I found Lucinda one night in the throws of a panic attack. I said a prayer for help- I never channel surf and there she was- interesting and I am hopeful these skills will help me even if my sensitivities cause the night terrors. It just may be I say they can't hurt me and that in and of itself will make them go away. I feel for you all!!

psl10spro

Post by psl10spro » Sat May 22, 2010 12:48 pm

You must know your blood pressure is high because your checking it, I learned to stop checking mine, the more I checked it, the more often it would spike. Stop checking it :) I also thought that high blood pressure was dangerous, meaning if it spiked right now to 160 / 105 that I should consider going to the hospital, my dr said it would have to be like that for months before it harms you. So dont worry, the more you check it, the worse it gets. Let the dr check it during your regular scheduled visits.

Ammy

Post by Ammy » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:55 pm

Blood pressure spikes in which related to anxiety. Water pill used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension) for the symptoms.
Diuretic medication such as Esidrix helps to treat hypertension as well as prevent heart attacks, kidney problems and strokes. Hope to come back normal.

NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:11 pm

It really sounds like the blood pressure is a big concern for you.

One thing with blood pressure is it does tend to spike and that is fine. Your blood pressure goes up for many reasons. Smoking can make blood pressure go up, plaque in the arteries can increase blood pressure, dehydration can affect blood pressure, exercising, drinking coffee, excitement can even increase blood pressure. I'm going to quote something from a website
Does Blood Pressure stay the same?

No. Your blood pressure varies all the time to meet your body's needs. The pressure will be different when you get up in the morning, to when you are relaxing, exercising or sleeping. Blood pressure is usually at its highest when we exercise, and lowest when we sleep. Blood pressure can also rise due to anxiety, excitement, activity or nervousness. In general, blood pressure remains fairly constant throughout the day.

Its only dangerous if your blood pressure is consistently high.

Ask and doctor or check it out on several medical sites, when does it say is an appopriate time to take blood pressure?

What you are doing (which many of us do in some context or another) is scaring yourself with your thoughts. Each time you check you are reinforcing your worry and fear and it really is not helping your condition one bit. This is one of the things keeping you stuck in the condition.

However say you are right that you need to be concerned with the blood pressure. What steps can you take to reduce it? Could relaxation reduce blood pressure? Maybe you can do an experiment whereas you use a guided relaxation and then check your blood pressure. Give it a try and let us know what happens.

Mike
Here is the link to the Letting Go thread which is designated for venting
http://forum.stresscenter.com/viewtopic ... 52&t=25087

You can follow me on Twitter, same username or check out my blog

http://ninjafrodo.blogspot.com/

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”