Panic Attacks During Sleep

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
Ezra

Post by Ezra » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:22 am

Hey everyone, I am going through this program and I am about half way through. I have been doing so good, but yesterday was a pretty stressful day and I was excited before I went to bed that I did well. But I had learned some fairly diheartening news about a couple of students of mine (I'm a teacher) and about a half an hour after I went to bed I was in a deep sleep and I woke up with the energy surges of a panic attack. I have PVC's with my panic and I had those also. This has only happened to me like three times in the two 1/2 years I have been suffering. The problem is that I get so dispaired in my heart because I don't know what to do about those. I was able to calm myself down in about a half an hour, and didn't let my thoughts race like I used to, but the temptation to see a doctor, AGAIN is so hard to withstand. Has anyone else had this problem?? I haven't come across anything on tapes about this. Does anyone have any guidance for me? I just worry, although I have had a battery of tests that there is something else wrong. Thanks for your time.

Chilloutcathy

Post by Chilloutcathy » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:20 am

Ezra,
If your asking about PVC's yes I have them. I don't believe there is anything you can do about them except take inderal. I have had them for years. I have learned not to drink much caffeine and I don't use sugar very much. I get so scared when my heart flip flops, it must just make it worse. My friend at work has skipped beats so bad sometimes they last for hours. I guess I am lucky my heart flip flops for a few minutes and then goes away. I used to wake up in the night with extreme panic, it would just wash over me over and over. I started taking prozac and that has all stopped. Sometimes when I wake up at night I can feel the panic trying to wash over me but the prozac seems to keep it from happening. It's like when you think you're going to sneeze but you don't lol.. I think if you already had your heart tested and it was ok, then besides taking inderal you pretty much will have to let them happen. Just steady your breathing and relax the best you can. Good Luck,
Cathy
Cathy (Chill out)

Dodger

Post by Dodger » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:40 am

I do wake up almost everymorning feeling poopy....so I can relate...there are times I wake up in a panic and feel that sweaty, heart palpitations, nausea, lightheaded.....the list goes on and on....

I unlike the other person dont like to turn to drugs...that would give me an entire new set of issues to deal with....I like you muddle through the feelings and with the help of this program I now know that I am not the only one and thats reassuring that its a reaction not a condition. We are super sensitive people and we take on the pain of others....it sits in our heads even when we arent aware that it is. And then in turn causes us to have these overwhelming sensations of anxiety....Dont beat yourself up because you are a sensitive person....dont get angry with yourself for feeling this way....more people should be sensitive the world would be a kinder place. These feelings and sensations will get farther and fewer as you and I gain confidence in ourselves that we are strong!!!!!!

I like to try natural methods to ease my anxiety so I take my B-vitamins (they are the stress vitamins), calcium and magnesium are good too...calcium is a calming vitamin and most women need extra calcium and magnesium is great for good heart function.....Of course check with your doctor if you have any questions.... and I drink lots of chammomile tea when I am stressed...even when I wake at night a warm cup of soothing tea helps calm me and brings me back to reality.

I dont know if any of this is helpfull to you but its just what I do and it might help you.
Hang in there...togther we will overcome this anxiety and we will be stronger more postive people ready to face the world and all it has to offer!

Dodger.

Deb 45

Post by Deb 45 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:43 am

Hi Ezra,

I've been running to the ER a lot lately and someone said something that really helped. What's the worst thing that can happen if you end up in the ER? For me it was fear of embarassment. If I was really sick, that would be the best place to be. If I get embarassed...so what? They don't know me, I don't owe them an explanation of why I'm there, and who cares what they think? The worst thing that can happen is feeling a bit drained for a day or so, then back to life. I've done that enough times to know it works out. Make sense?

Take care,

Deb

Zoomy

Post by Zoomy » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:27 am

oh, My..I know what you mean..I actually just woke up in a panic and got on here to relieve some of it by reading to settle myself down. I actually do it quite often, I suppose mine is from drinking pop and eating licorice last night at a concert my husband and I went to..BLAH..I hate it!!! but, I take comfort in knowing that I'm not alone and I'll be fine..I guess that's a lesson to me to not drink pop and candy before bed!!

Chilloutcathy

Post by Chilloutcathy » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:07 am

I don't feel guilty for taking prozac to help me through this hard time in my life. I did not make the decision lightly, but I could see I was affecting my children by my behavior, so in some cases medication is the right thing. I have managed my anxiety with this program alone for the past 2 years but due to extreme stress over losing my mother in law in a horrific way I was unable to handle my feelings. If you need medication to get you through the rough spots don't let people make you feel bad about it. It's a decision UNIQUE to each persons situation.
Cathy
Cathy (Chill out)

Ezra

Post by Ezra » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:28 am

Thanks for you help. It really helps me to know that I am not alone. It truly does. And I also believe every situation is unique but it's great to get ideas from everyone.

StacyD

Post by StacyD » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:02 am

Ezra,
Waking up with panic.... UGH! Been there! I have been on meds in the past for this and it was helpful at the time. I now am able to handle them, if they come, without meds. I am working through this program and they are much farther apart. So like Cathy said, every situation is unique and everyone has to do what works for them! In my case I did both!
Hope this helps and I hope you have a good night sleep tonight!
Stacy D

*Francesca*

Post by *Francesca* » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:58 am

I used to wake up with panic attacks just about every morning until I found out what was causing them and what to do so it would stop.

Brooke.T

Post by Brooke.T » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:18 pm

<A HREF="mailto:brktynr@yahoo.com">brktynr@yahoo.com</A><span class="ev_code_PINK">I rarely have them in my sleep but from time to time I do! It is very scarey I know. I'll wake up and feel like I cant handle being in the dark. And even sometimes I even scream. I turn on some sort of light and splash water in my face and then try to go back tosleep. Most of the time it happens right before I have to get up for work and it makes me mad as hek !</span>

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”