Slurred speech??Kind of ..Plz help..scared

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
sjp416

Post by sjp416 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:15 am

Hello,
Not sure if anyone has ever felt like this but I feel like my tongue is slightly swollen and I can't get my words out properly...It feels like if you drink something cold and your tongue feels funny and when you try to talk it feels weird...Am I making any sense...
Also my left side has been feeling weak..I am able to do everything it just feels weird> I also have been having muscle twitches...I am so scared it's god-forbid ALS and not anxiety....Anyone feel this way????

-Shannon

hope4peace

Post by hope4peace » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:26 am

Hi sjp,

I have had the swollen tongue feeling, almost like my tongue was heavy and I wasn't able to get my words out right. Have you been diagnosed with anxiety? If yes, it is most likely an anxiety symptom. There are lists and lists of symptoms anxiety can produce. I also get muscle twitches....very annoying yet harmless. Try and do something calming, take a walk, take a warm bath, listen to a relaxation cd/tape. I know it's scary. Trust that you will be fine and underreact to the symptoms. The more you fear them, the more they persist. Best wishes,

sjp416

Post by sjp416 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:33 am

hope4peace,
Yes I have been diagnosed with anxiety...I just keep on thinking the doctors missed something....I hate it I am a internet look up symptoms junkie..I need to stop.....
Thank you for letting me know that others have had this symptom and it was just anxiety related...I get myself so worked up....I have been to my primary doctor and a neurologist,had a MRI done and they all tell me I am fine. I can be fine for a few days and the wham I am back on the worry treadmill.
-Shannon

Mho

Post by Mho » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:45 pm

Hi Shannon,
I think you (and I) are in the right place. You will be helped by this program. Look at it this way, If anxiety is causing it, this program will help you fix that. If it is a real disease, then you will elliminate anxiety as a possible cause. Hope this gives you the motivation to stick with the lessons.
I have alot of problems that are food allergy/sensitivity related. Or maybe they aren't. I motivated myself to get the diet under control by saying that, a controlled diet will prove how much of my problems are due to allergies. One way or another, I'm closer to the solution.
Meanwhile. pamper yourself and listen to the relaxation tape.
Maureen

Sirius

Post by Sirius » Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:28 pm

I have had slurred speak for the past few days. I get it when I am the most tense and trying to rush but have woren my body out enough that it isn't responding correctly. I end up feeling really embarrased, but I am trying to tell myself that I am tense and rushing..."I need to slow down".
~Sirius

dragonfly

Post by dragonfly » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:44 am

ve also been worried about this as of late, and have convinced myself of 1000 different diseases it could be via the Internet. I sometimes have problems getting a word out or slur my speech. I also sometimes forget the word completely. But, I realize the more that I think and worry about it the more that it happens. If I'm not worried and just having a good conversation with a friend, it doesn't ever seem to happen. Mine does seem to be linked with anxiety, and if you've had a dr check everything out. I'm sure that yours is as well.

Thanks for your post, I was worried I was the only one with this symptom.
===============================

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint."
Mark Twain

lil123

Post by lil123 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:54 pm

I've had the slurred speech and heavy tongue feeling as well. I've already had my physical and I'm fine so I laugh and chalk this up again to the many faces of anxiety. Sometimes I sound like I've been drinking but without the drinks! Last year I would have worried that something was wrong - not believing what my doctor told me - because of course I knew better! Now, I'm grateful that I can take this in stride. Once again, positive talk and stopping the "what if" thinking is so important!

windycity37

Post by windycity37 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:12 pm

you are sooo not alone. I have felt the funny tongue feeling too and like i'm slurring my speach. i haven't had this symptom in well over a year but i thought i was the only one until now. like my tongue felt weird, the inside if my mouth felt weird. like almost gritty like? it was strange. but yes i chalk it up to being an anxiety symptom yet again. its so darn weird the things anxiety can do. I now wonder having read and posted this if the symptom will return. anxiety is weird like that... i'm sure you can all relate. anyone else get the funny weird feeling in the mouth, like your tongue is swollen? do reply if so... peace to all

WhatIf

Post by WhatIf » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:51 am

Hi everyone. As I am typing, I am feeling exactly the same weird feeling for the first time, as a new agly face of my anxiety. My tonque feels heavy and as if I will become speechless. I am greatfull for all of you because you are opening my eyes. O.W. my thoughts will take me too far..
Keep up everyone, Let us fight together.
Anxiety is Killing my Dreams

bragi

Post by bragi » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:13 am

Oh yeah; I have felt this for sure.

I've never described it to myself as having a "heavy tongue," though. I'd say it's more just a conscious, laser-honed, powerful awareness of my mouth, and a constant attention to the words that come out of it. Everything I say wrong, I freak out about.

This first started a little over a year ago, when I tripped over a word. It just blossomed from there. It's so awful. I started worrying about tripping over words, and then it happened more, because I worried about it.

Then I started getting muscle twitches, and I started worrying about those, and so of course those got worse. Then I started worrying that I had some terrible disease like MS or Parkinsons or something (even writing it out now makes me nervous!).

After a while, I'll realize I don't have a terrible disease, and then the fears will go away. Then they come back in some new flavor; some new aspect that gives my brain something logical to latch onto -- like, no matter how remote, this new thing "might mean" I have some awful illness.

Lately it's come back, even though I've defeated it so many times, and I hate it so much. The new variant is that I worry about my typing: I worry that maybe I'm not as good at it anymore (out of the blue, of course!), and that my brain is messed up, and I can't form words correctly anymore. I don't even think there's a disease that causes any of these symptoms! And yet I worry....

The thing that makes this all so awful is that speaking, typing, etc., are not conscious processes, so when you apply conscious awareness to them (e.g. if you think and pay attention to your speech), of _course_ you screw up. Have you ever consciously thought about all the things you have to do to ride a bike or tie your shoes? Give it a shot next time, and see how well it goes.

All that being said, does anyone have any tips for overcoming this fear?

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”