Does anyone get arm and leg numbness?

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
arcrocks129

Post by arcrocks129 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:22 pm

HELLO, MY NAME IS ROSE I'M 27YRS OLD
I WAS PRESCRIBED CLONAZEPAM FOR ANXIETY YRS AGO, WHICH I DONT GET OFTEN AND WHEN I DO GET ANXIETY I ONLY FEEL MY FINGER TIPS START TO TINGLE AND SHORTNESS OF BREATH AND THAT IS WHEN I TAKE THE MEDICATION, HOWEVER THAT HASN'T HAPPENED IN MONTHS, UNTIL YESTERDAY EVENING I WAS JUST SITTING ON THE COUCH ON MY LAPTOP WATCHING OPRAH. AND ALL OF A SUDDEN MY LEFT ARM, I STARTED FEELING IT GO NUMB AND IT SPREAD THROUGH OUT MY ENTIRE ARM QUICKLY AND I NOTICED MY HEART PACING OUT OF CONTROL. I WAS DOING NOTHING THAT COULD HAVE CAUSED THIS.UNLESS IT WAS OPRAH. I IMMIDIATLEY STARTED TO FEEL LIKE I WAS GOING TO PASS OUT AND QUICKLY WOKE MY HONEY TO RUSH ME TO THE ER BECAUSE I THOUGHT I WAS HAVING A STROKE OR HEART ATTACK BEACAUSE MY ARM WENT COMPLETELY NUMB . ON MY DRIVE TO THE ER I WAS VERY SCARED AND THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO DIE, I STARTED SHAKING, MY ARMS, LEGS WENT WEAK AND I WAS SHAKING AND VERY SCARED, COULDNT BREATH, I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO DIE. BY THE TIME WE PULLED IN THE ER I WAS PUT ON A WHEELCHAIR BECAUSE I DIDNT HAVE MUCH ENERGY TO WALK NORMAL AND THEY TOOK ME TO A ROOM GOT MY VITALS DID A EKG AND BLOOD WORK. THEN DRS CAME BACK SAYING IT WAS A REALLY BAD PANIC OR ANXIETY ATTACK. THEN GAVE ME A MUSCLE RELAXER VIA i.v. AND QUUICKLY I FELT NORMAL AGAIN. I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE HAD THIS KIND OF EPISODE WHERE MY LEFT ARM WENT COMPLETELY NUMB, I SERIOULSY THOUGHT I WAS HAVING SOME KIND OF A HEART ATTACK. I GAVE MY HEART TO THE LORD THAT NIGHT. I ASKED HIM AND TOLD HIM I WASN'T READY TO GO AND I HAD SO MUCH I WANT TO ACCOMPLISH. I'M ONLY 27 NO KIDS, AND DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY THIS HAPPENED TO ME? PLEASE IF THERE IS ANY ONE OUT THERE WHO HAS BEEN THROUGH THIS WHAT CAN I DO TO PREVENT OR HELP MYSELF WITH THIS? CAN I JUST LAY DOWN NEXT TIME IT HAPPENS AND LET IT PASS? THERE IS A SAYING THAT GOES'IF YOU THINK IT, YOU WILL BRING IT' and this refers to negative and the positive... so i try not to think of what i went through because i am likely to bring another panic/anxiety attack. THANKS

The Hall Kids Mom

Post by The Hall Kids Mom » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:30 am

Girl, I had the same thing happen to me on the 13th. I was in the truck with my husband having a normal day. I all of a sudden felt weird and my heart started jumping around in my chest. I felt like I was going to pass out. My hands went completely numb and tingling. He took me to the ER where I just knew I was having a heart attack or something. It was an attack alright...a PANIC attack and the worst one ever. They to did an EKG on me and chest xray and blood work and all was normal. They wanted to give me Adivan and I refused. I was so scared. I dont know what caused that but I prayer I never have to experience that gain. I hope you dont feel alone cause trust me your not. I will check back to make sure you are ok. I am hear for you to talk to. Take care and God bless you and I hope this will ease your mind some. WE are both gonna be ok..panic will not kill us.

doozyj

Post by doozyj » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:29 pm

Originally posted by arcrocks129:
HELLO, MY NAME IS ROSE I'M 27YRS OLD
I WAS PRESCRIBED CLONAZEPAM FOR ANXIETY YRS AGO, WHICH I DONT GET OFTEN AND WHEN I DO GET ANXIETY I ONLY FEEL MY FINGER TIPS START TO TINGLE AND SHORTNESS OF BREATH AND THAT IS WHEN I TAKE THE MEDICATION, HOWEVER THAT HASN'T HAPPENED IN MONTHS, UNTIL YESTERDAY EVENING I WAS JUST SITTING ON THE COUCH ON MY LAPTOP WATCHING OPRAH. AND ALL OF A SUDDEN MY LEFT ARM, I STARTED FEELING IT GO NUMB AND IT SPREAD THROUGH OUT MY ENTIRE ARM QUICKLY AND I NOTICED MY HEART PACING OUT OF CONTROL. I WAS DOING NOTHING THAT COULD HAVE CAUSED THIS.UNLESS IT WAS OPRAH. I IMMIDIATLEY STARTED TO FEEL LIKE I WAS GOING TO PASS OUT AND QUICKLY WOKE MY HONEY TO RUSH ME TO THE ER BECAUSE I THOUGHT I WAS HAVING A STROKE OR HEART ATTACK BEACAUSE MY ARM WENT COMPLETELY NUMB . ON MY DRIVE TO THE ER I WAS VERY SCARED AND THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO DIE, I STARTED SHAKING, MY ARMS, LEGS WENT WEAK AND I WAS SHAKING AND VERY SCARED, COULDNT BREATH, I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO DIE. BY THE TIME WE PULLED IN THE ER I WAS PUT ON A WHEELCHAIR BECAUSE I DIDNT HAVE MUCH ENERGY TO WALK NORMAL AND THEY TOOK ME TO A ROOM GOT MY VITALS DID A EKG AND BLOOD WORK. THEN DRS CAME BACK SAYING IT WAS A REALLY BAD PANIC OR ANXIETY ATTACK. THEN GAVE ME A MUSCLE RELAXER VIA i.v. AND QUUICKLY I FELT NORMAL AGAIN. I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE HAD THIS KIND OF EPISODE WHERE MY LEFT ARM WENT COMPLETELY NUMB, I SERIOULSY THOUGHT I WAS HAVING SOME KIND OF A HEART ATTACK. I GAVE MY HEART TO THE LORD THAT NIGHT. I ASKED HIM AND TOLD HIM I WASN'T READY TO GO AND I HAD SO MUCH I WANT TO ACCOMPLISH. I'M ONLY 27 NO KIDS, AND DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY THIS HAPPENED TO ME? PLEASE IF THERE IS ANY ONE OUT THERE WHO HAS BEEN THROUGH THIS WHAT CAN I DO TO PREVENT OR HELP MYSELF WITH THIS? CAN I JUST LAY DOWN NEXT TIME IT HAPPENS AND LET IT PASS? THERE IS A SAYING THAT GOES'IF YOU THINK IT, YOU WILL BRING IT' and this refers to negative and the positive... so i try not to think of what i went through because i am likely to bring another panic/anxiety attack. THANKS
Hi Rose
You have to remember there are alot of powerful chemicals that your body releases when you panic plus muscle tension can feel like you body is numb but totally normal when you are in the state. Best thing to start to end panics is proper breathing. I don't have panic attacks anymore due to this. Sounds like BS but try to breathe how the relaxation CD teaches you. I have been through this many many times and know how you feel.

ES

Post by ES » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:27 am

If you sit for hours without stretching your arms & legs you can develop deep vein thrombosis. This can be deadly.Learn more at http://www.flyinganxiety.com

psl10spro

Post by psl10spro » Sat May 22, 2010 12:52 pm

Originally posted by lgtru:
i actually had my husband drive me to the hospital about a month ago. i was so worried that the arm numbness had something to do with a heart attack. it turned out its actually been muscle tension. the arm numbness is gone but now i have such pain in my neck, shoulders and back. this really stinks! my hope is that since the arm tingling/numbness went away after a couple of weeks that this will too. feel better soon!

I went to the ER 6 days ago because I was having chest pains and my left arm started to go numb. I swore I was having a heart attack. The dr said it was pleurisy, which turned out to be wrong, but at least it wasnt a heart attack, mustve been part of the anxiety...

faby

Post by faby » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:18 pm

hi maria im new but i wanna share that i get that numbness on my arm and fingers and scares me a lot

creamcheesepuff

Post by creamcheesepuff » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:52 pm

Faby, Being a RN, there are many questions. But have you talked to your doctor if this is just happening all of a sudden. I dont know your history and are not at liberty to ask you for that personal information but in my experience I have had injuries from falls to my shoulders and such and have very bad muscle tension in the neck area. I know this is my problem for my numbness because when I change position it goes away. I also have been checked by many doctors including a Neurologist. So this is where you should start first. Good luck and welcome to the site. We are all here to help you out.

faby

Post by faby » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:29 am

well Ive had surgeries one on my neck and one on my chest i never had that before till i get a doctor's app i get so nervous its not like numbness is more like lil aunts crawling on my arm & hand then when im not thinking of it it goes away so does the palpitations and nausea i have does episodes very often cus im scared of going to the doctor and getting sick again

creamcheesepuff

Post by creamcheesepuff » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:40 pm

Faby, Is this a recent surgery you are speaking of? IF so, within the last 3-6 months you should be still following up with your physician. I cannot diagnose. I know my problems are from tension in the neck and shoulders. If this is really upsetting you, you should return to your physician to be safe. It may be something very minor.

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”