Has anyone weened themselves off Lexapro, or your doctor took you off Lexapro?

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
Brandi Menifee

Post by Brandi Menifee » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:57 am

I've been taking Lexapro for 7mos., and someday I would like to get off of them. I haven't had to take a xanax or anything like that since Feb. However at times I still have those horrible body symptoms that drive me crazy, and I start to worry! I want to stay on Lexapro for at least a year, which will be in Feb. 2010. I'm getting married in June 0f 2010, and would like to be off by then. I can't drink if I'm still on them right? Not basing it off of that, but haven't had an alcholic beverage since I've been on them, too scared to mix. Anyway, has anyone taken Lexapro, and successfully gotten off of them, and stayed off?
bloveholt

Lollipop

Post by Lollipop » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:55 am

Hi Brandi,
I've been on Lexapro for about 15 months now and it has helped me a ton. I'm trying to ween off now because my husband and I want to try and have a baby next year, and I want to see if I could do med free or not. Anyways, i'm weening off SUPER slow, like 5mg lower each month. Right now i'm stuck at 15mg and my symptoms have actually come back a little bit so I might go back up to 20 and stay there. Not sure yet. BUT - just so you know, I drink occasionally (once every other wknd or so) and mixing with the Lexapro has never been an issue for me. I have never noticed it. Let me know what you decide to do and how it goes!

7of 9

Post by 7of 9 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:25 pm

I went into the Hospital with Diabetic shock, then to the Cardiac ward, then sent home with
Lexapro. It really helped and I thought I would
(and wanted to) be on it for the rest of my life. I didn't know when I was in the hospital that they could see chemical imbalances on tests. Was news to me I was depressed. I thought I was just p/o all the time.Lexapro helped.I am off it now cause now that I know what is going on, I want to work on the needed change. It's working, takes time though.Baby steps.

I just started 1 week ago on the program, I really wanted to rush the 1st week of cd's... play 2-3 times ? Come on..... Glad I did. EVERY time I MADE myself follow the recommended program... listen to the cd 2-3 times.. I heard what I ignored, or 'didn't hear' the 1st time, or the 2nd time, or the 3rd time. I encourage everyone to follow this program as it was intended to be followed. If it's too confusing to figure out, hey, call them and ask them to help you. No big deal. Hope we all stick to the program.

Brandi Menifee

Post by Brandi Menifee » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:46 am

I appreciate your comments. Thx. I have done the program once, but I feel like I need to do it again. When you guyz were on the Lexapro, even after being on it for awhile, did you guyz still get those weird body symptoms? Even though I have the body symptoms, I still want to be off of the pills by nxt Feb. I have not had any panic attacks. However I ofter worry, there's that word again, that if I get off my pills, and it's the day of the wedding, that I will have a bad panic attack from being nervous. Anyway, did you guyz still get body symptoms at times while you were on the meds? Did they completely go away before you took yourselves off the meds??
bloveholt

maria k

Post by maria k » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:44 am

UPDATE: Just an update to help those who are new to this.... Last year at this time, I was soooo worried the lexapro wasnt working on my second go round. Well, after 5 MONTHS of weaning up in total and 2 FULL months at 20 mgs, it FINALLY kicked in and I felt like myself again.

I felt great and continued on it for 6 months, but being the personality of not wanting to be on any meds, I slowly weaned down after 6 months at 20mgs. I was absolutely normal and myself after being off it for 6 more months but alas, these last few weeks, it has slowly crept back in.

Both times with Lex, after feeling good (first time only needed 15mg- 2nd time needed 20mg), I only stayed on it 6 months (obviously not enough time). Sooo, I am going to start it a 3rd time, but this time will stay on it longer. Also, before I start, I am going to try to remember that the anxiety gets worse (at least with me) with these meds BEFORE it gets better, so I HAVE to take a benzo during the process and not sweat taking it because it does help. I have seen too many people (myself included) afraid to take it for fear of getting hooked. But once the AD kicks in, you will slowly get off it. I did every time and never had an addiction or withdrawal problem.

Good luck all and Im sure Ill see you on here when my anxiety kicks up and I start panicking Im never gonna get better again. lol. At the very least, this anxiety nightmare has educated me tons and I wanted to pass it on to those who are frightened.

But my point of all this is dont get off too soon. Weaning up is like 4 months of hell for me and why do it again if you dont have to. Oh and I drank socially with Lex once I was stabilized and it was never an issue. try a small glass of wine first just to see for yourself.
Take care, Maria

Mrs. Strong

Post by Mrs. Strong » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:52 am

I was on Lexapro for 8 months and the doctor weaned me over a 6-8 week period. I had no withdraws from it. I was actually surprised at how smooth it went.
Kathy Strong

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”