Is medication-free really possible?

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
maryk0505

Post by maryk0505 » Sun May 10, 2009 3:43 pm

I was diagnosed with panic disorder in 1986 and have been taking Nortriptyline since that time and Prozac was added in 1994. With a lot of determination I have had a marked improvement in that now I am living a near-normal life. I say near-normal as I still have some fears of flying and being in large buildings like theaters and churches. I haven't seen a therapist for ten years and my internist prescribes the meds now. I really wonder if I can live without the meds at this point. I lost my job in 2002 and was unemployed for nine months with no insurance. I had a three-month supply of meds at that time and tapered myself off of them. When I got a new job I was so anxious that I went back on them. But I think that was partially withdrawal and partially the new job, and I probably should not have gone back on them. Now I am wondering, after all this time, are the meds actually really helping me or am I just helping myself now that I am living a normal life? If I went off of them would my panic disorder recur or have I basically "cured" myself?

Post by Guest » Sun May 10, 2009 5:02 pm

Hi MaryK:
I started taking antidepressants in the early 80's. I was suffering from depression and I also had a lot of anxiety. I'd also been abusing alcohol (self medicating).
I took medications for many years.
I weaned myself off them last summer and fall.
Actually I started tapering off early on in 2008. It took a long time as I had to go so slowly. I was totally off them by last October 2008.
But I had a single mastectomy in early January this year. And I went back on a small amount of the med for awhile in February. I guess I used a small amount for about a month. Then I reallized that the side effects wasn't worth it.
So I let it go.
I am totally off that kind of medication now.
And I think that I am doing okay.
Yes, I do have a little anxiety ocasionally.
It is not too bad and I just don't let it cripple me. The anxiety happens now because a lot of my vision faded and sometimes I have to depend on a relative to get out and about.
So it is kind of relationship related. I have macula degeneration.
I do think that I'm living normally without the meds.
Of course I take diabetic meds ,etc. But no psychiatric meds.
I have much less stress than I did in those depressed years. Even with the hassle of depending on relatives.
It can be done.
But I think you know that you have to get off them very slowly.
I think I feel better without them.

I don't advise anyone to go off their meds. But you asked and I'm glad to share that I have gotten off them and that I am happy that I did.

I realize that there are many people that really need the medications.
I think that there are natural helps that might serve just as well or better. And I think that a good diet helps very much. In the days of my anxiety I had no apetite at all and had trouble forcing myself to eat.
I think that a good healthy food plan is essential. And vitamins also.

I wish you so much success.
MJ

Post by Guest » Sun May 10, 2009 5:07 pm

P.S.
I see that you've just registered. I hope you have the program. The program will aid you so much. It has helped me so much.
And also the use of this forum has been so helpful.
Welcome aboard.
MJ

acorn2oak

Post by acorn2oak » Sun May 10, 2009 8:29 pm

Hi Maryk0505,

I went off in the middle of a break-up and moving, and I had my mother nearby at the time for two weeks. So, I told her and she watched over me - and I haven't had to go back on again. If I may just say this.... If you do go off, please make sure your internist knows you will try and you will try in a safe way. By that I mean, I would choose one other person in your life to tell about going off, someone who is willing to support you and to tell you if you are acting unsafe.
Either way, with meds or without, I agree too that the programs is super helpful. I have found it so, and I'm coming back to it for a little refreshing since I'm having some trouble with insomnia. Best wishes in your own growth! Congrats on the job... that's great!

egriff

Post by egriff » Sun May 17, 2009 6:00 am

My understanding is that meds are more like a band aid than a cure. I am med free now but it took a lot of hard work learning coping strategies. I don't think it is a good idea to go off meds without first learning ways to cope with and counter your anxiety producing thoughts.

maryk0505

Post by maryk0505 » Mon May 18, 2009 3:12 am

I appreciate all the responses. I did a lot of hard work with behavior modification to get to where I am now. Now I just swallow the meds every morning and night as force of habit. Since I am living a near-normal life I was just wondering how much of that was due to the meds and how much of that was due to the extremely hard work I've done. Most of the time I don't think about anxiety or panic for weeks or months at a time. Before it was constant. That's why I think maybe I'm ready to get off the meds. I just wanted to know if it was POSSIBLE to live without them. Thanks.

egriff

Post by egriff » Mon May 18, 2009 5:22 am

maryk,
thx for the additional info. My first answer is yes it is possible, however I think you would be smart to lower your doses extremely slowly and also make sure and counter your thoughts on paper in a TEA form etc everyday for a week or two before you start reducing your meds and continue until some time after you are completely off as insurance. I try and counter my thoughts in a TEA form at least four or five times a week just to reinforce the new ways of thinking and to keep from slipping backwards.

JR5

Post by JR5 » Tue May 26, 2009 9:04 am

Originally posted by egriff:
My understanding is that meds are more like a band aid than a cure. I am med free now but it took a lot of hard work learning coping strategies. I don't think it is a good idea to go off meds without first learning ways to cope with and counter your anxiety producing thoughts.
This is my understanding as well. I had to learn how to counter and interrupt my thoughts using the TEA forms and the wrist counter before I got off meds.

clearsky27

Post by clearsky27 » Thu May 28, 2009 1:24 am

I stopped taking my meds because although I felt like they worked I didnt want to take pills for the rest of my life and felt like it was just a band aid. Not to mention the paxil made me gain 60 pounds( While I was working out and eating right). When I asked my doctor(not the one who prescirbed it)he called it pack it on paxil. Now dont you think 60 pounds would cause someone who already has an anxiety disorder evenmore anxiety.

Mary Wargo

Post by Mary Wargo » Thu May 28, 2009 6:14 am

I went off any and all medication I was taking for anxiety at the same time I started this program over a year ago. I have been med free since that time. I was told at one time that I would most probably need meds for anxiety for the rest of my life. They were so very wrong. I'm not against taking medication if it's needed but it's certainly worth a try to learn coping methods and skills to find out if the meds really are needed.

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”