Side effects from weaning off Klonopin

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
hope11

Side effects from weaning off Klonopin

Post by hope11 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:36 am

I am trying to s-l-o-w-l-y wean off Klonopin but keep getting sick with flu-like symptoms. My skin hurts to touch, my body aches, joint aches, etc. In the past few weeks, I have had shingles, a cold, and now fever and flu-like symptoms but was checked and not the flu. This may be coincidental but I never have had this many bad colds in one winter. This is the 3rd time since trying to wean off Klonopin. I believe it lowers the immune system. Has anybody else had this happen? Being on this medication has literally driven me up the wall but I had no choice but to take it and have been on it for four years now for anxiety. The anxiety is much better controlled but the physical problems are getting worse.

FloridaBelle

Re: Side effects from weaning off Klonopin

Post by FloridaBelle » Thu May 28, 2015 12:43 pm

Hi Hope11, How are you feeling since this post? It's been awhile since your post but I just became a user today. I have experience with Klonopin myself. I am wondering how you are doing now.

hope11

Post by hope11 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:26 am

Hi FB: I have been doing much better since this last post. I am still weaning really slowly off the klonopin. I have some calm days and some really jittery days. Do you do that? If so, what do you do for it? I feel like I have something just crawling inside me and it is bad while I am sleeping but also during the day some too. My life has gotten more back to "normal" if there is a normal anymore but I have to live around this every day. What is your experience with the Klonopin? Would love to hear from you. I'm glad the forum finally came back up as it was down for so long I was afraid they had done away with it and it is so helpful to everyone to talk to someone who understands. Hope you have a great day!

FloridaBelle

Post by FloridaBelle » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:18 am

It's great to get your reply,hope11. YES! I have experienced the feeling you described as "I feel like I have something just crawling inside me." Especially in my arms,shoulders, and upper body. In addition, I was very sensitive to being touched for a year. The difference is when I got on the maximum dose of Klonopin of 2mg 3 times a day. The feelings stopped along with my restless legs.The only side effects is it sometimes makes me sleepy. I usually take 2 a day because I have also been on it for 4 years and I do not want to build a tolerance to it. After 4 years of taking it my immune system is pretty good. I tried to lower the dose before and my main feeling was I just have a feeling of great agitation. If discovered if I take it morning & night with my Lamotrigine I feel so much better. My family has noticed I am better. If I forget to take it they notice. So I know it makes a huge difference to take more of it for my body. I try to only take the 3rd pill on days that I get the "jittery feeling." It works wonders for me. Yes, I have calm days when I take my Rx. If something triggers me to get upset is when I have a hard time. I went through the program in 1996 and got off Xanax. ((I wrote to you in more detail about how I did it through the program but it was a super long message so I saved it but took it off this message because it was so long)) If you want to know how I got off Xanax which is in the same family as Klonopin. Just let me know. I overcame a lot in 1996 but I didn't realize I needed to keep doing the program for life. I received the new program yesterday and may eventually, try to get off my Rx but for now. It is best for me and my family to stay on what I am taking. When the forum was gone. Did they let you know ahead of time?

FloridaBelle

Post by FloridaBelle » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:57 am

TIPS: For your muscle aches and joint pain a hot bath with Epsom salts works wonders for me. Epsom salts are said to pull toxins out of your body. I feel it does. Any kind works but my favorite brand is Dr. Teal's Lavender Epsom salts. Just keep the water hot or warm as you like. As hot as I can safely be in works best for me.
Then doing Lucinda's relaxation tape when she does muscle relaxation and takes you on an Ocean walk is nice because she also talks about getting out of a warm bath in the tape from 1996. It is my favorite of the two relaxation tapes she has.
To lessen colds Emergen-C Vitamin C Fizzy Drink Mix (find a flavor you like) has done wonders for people I know. I take it when someone around me is sick so I don't get sick.
I also use Gold Bond lotion hand sanitizer, it makes my hands soft too or any sanitizer when I am out. It helps me not to get sick. I clean grocery carts with sanitizer. My husband use to laugh at me for doing it until I remind him of the germs and remind him how people get sick from touching carts. Some stores have cart anti-bacterial wipes.
I hope something I wrote can help you. I can get sick at times but I know it's not from Klonopin for me. I am so sorry you are going through this. I have been there. If you try these tips. They just might help you a lot. I hope to hear back from you on the other post. I Hope You Have A Happy Tuesday!

hope11

Post by hope11 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:19 pm

Hi FB. Was hoping to hear from you. So you have been dealing with anxiety for a long time? I keep thinking I will be healed and get over it completely but not yet. My worst problem seems to still be the very bad jitteriness and I am trying to reduce the Klonopin but it was this bad or worse when I was on twice as much. My hormones are also really messed up and they think it could have started from a hormonal imbalance. Do you have any idea why you started having anxiety? My story is written on here on various posts and since my story is so long, you could go back and look to read what I have been through if you like but I won't try to repeat it. It is like a "book". I really would like to get off this Klonopin if possible but it is really a slow process. The doctors seem to think you can just get off so easy but apparently they have never had to personally try it. What is the Lamotrigine for? I hate that you have these nervous feelings but it is good to talk to someone who has them to get tips for helping. I would love to hear lots more about your story if you would like to share it with me. I haven't used the PM to talk to anyone on here in such a long time, I really don't know if you can still even do that. But if you know how, send me a personal message and we can talk more. I met a very dear friend on here by doing that 1 1/2 years ago and we have emailed each other 2 to 3 times a day and even talked on the phone some. We share so much of our every day lives and miss each other when we don't talk as much. We have tried to encourage each other and it really helps. We both believe that God puts people in our path for a reason. Hope to learn more about you. And, no, I didn't know the website was going down and neither did she. We had almost given up on it coming back, but thankfully it has. I enjoy it. How old are you? I will soon be 57 although it doesn't seem like it. I assume you are from Florida maybe because of your name. What happened to you after you got off Xanax to get started on the Klonopin? Very interested how you got off. P.S. I have become somewhat of a germ freak myself. I wipe the carts off at the store now too! lol No need to get sick if you can prevent it. Talk to you soon.

hope11

Post by hope11 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:22 pm

Hi again FB: Just saw the PM on the right side of the page. Couldn't find it for looking too hard! And also thanks for the tips about the muscles. I have a really hard time with my arm muscles especially. Maybe that would help me. Will have to try it.

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”