Switching from Lexapro to Zoloft

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
Mary B.

Switching from Lexapro to Zoloft

Post by Mary B. » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:55 am

Hi,
I have been on Lexapro for over 1 month and feel very tired and weak so I am switching to Zoloft since it worked for me on 2 separate but many years ago. I am so torn between trying another newer med but afriad of side effects. At least I am experienced with Zoloft but it seems like docs don't use it as much anymore bc there r so many new ones. Any advice. It's such a big deal to me bc I hate meds and change. Any advice would be appreciated. Thx

forever young 06

Re: Switching from Lexapro to Zoloft

Post by forever young 06 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:59 am

If you have taken Zoloft before I wouldn't be afraid to take it. really when it comes to sideffects they are almost the same with all anti depressants. They work pretty much the same way. But some make a person more sleepy or more tired. I was told by my aunt that Zoloft had the less sideffects of other anti depressants. she takes 200 mgs has taken this much for yrs now. I took it for a while myself for a while I am on celexa it is a cousin of Lexapro. I do at times feel tired but I am trying to exercise and watch what I eat. I was having weak spells and they have gotten better but they alarmed me. Do you have weak spells with out anxiety feeling? I would try the Zoloft if it helped you before.

Mary B.

Post by Mary B. » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:07 am

Thanks for responding! Yes, I am trying the Zoloft now. I just get anxious with any change but I remind myself that I have been on it 2xs before and probably should have started with this since its worked for me. Why reinvent the wheel. But I guess doc r using the newer drugs now. Wish me luck. Hope you are doing well!

forever young 06

Post by forever young 06 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:33 am

Do you still have the weak spells, do you have them with out being weak? I have had one this morning and it feels mostly in my chest and I really can';t explain it but I am feeling better. how long have you been on Zoloft before. I feel like sometimes I should have more test run on my heart but I am afraid they will find something wrong and then I would be scared.

Mary B.

Post by Mary B. » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:50 pm

I have been on Zoloft 2xs before and both times it helped me overcome my panic and anxiety disorder. That was over 12 yrs ago so the doc wanted me to try one of the newer meds (Lexapro) but not happy with results. I'am just starting Zoloft (day 3) so hopefully it will work as it did before. As for the tired and weakness issues I still feel very tired and the weakness is on and off. It does feel like an inner weakness as if my heart was weak as you described but my cardiologist says my heart is strong. I'm beginning to believe that it is another symptom of anxiety/depression. Our psychological state of mind is very much manifested in the physical body. It is amazing how they are so connected. Hope you are feeling better.

forever young 06

Post by forever young 06 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:02 am

I guess the Dr thought the new one might work better but some times it is better to stay with what works. Prozac worked the best for me I took it for 1 yr but when I got all the physical symptoms I tried to get back on it but it caused me to not be able to sleep at all. I had to try something else I am on celexa it is working but not as good as Prozac I am taking 20 mg could go to 40 mg but am a little afraid to . I keep hoping it will get better. I have gone for a week with out symptoms but then I have a day of feeling off. I have aches and pains all over my body sometimes . I am being sensitive to every thing. I try not to worry about it and keep busy most times I am on the computer when I need to be doing other things.

falconea1

Post by falconea1 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:02 pm

Hi Mary B,

I have been on Lexapro 5 mg for 2 months now. I'm feeling great, but very tired as you mentioned. Anyway, against my Dr's will, I have started to slowly taper off Lexapro. I decided to start taking the 5 mg every other day. I'm scared of withdrawal effects, etc. So far though, I have the smallest headache since tapering off. Right now, every other day on Lexapro has given me increased energy - so far. I just hope to be med free soon and live a calm / happy existence without it.

Just wanted your input because, like you, I hate meds!!

Thanks!

-A.J.

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”