How long before buspar kicks in?

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
tvgirl

How long before buspar kicks in?

Post by tvgirl » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:36 am

My dr prescribed buspar. Its been a week, & while I'm generally ok during the day, I have been waking up in the middle of the night with panic attacks. Xanax seems to be the only thing works.

coachchris

Re: How long before buspar kicks in?

Post by coachchris » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:24 pm

Hi TV,

This is Coach Chris from the coaching team here at Stress. Do you have the program?

I would be using your relaxation cd, making sure you are minimizing caffeine/sugars and getting light exercise. I too had to take xanax to help with the night-time anxiety. It will get better as the adrenalin levels lower.

Keep us posted.
We are here to help.
Coach Chris

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:17 pm

I have been taking Buspar for the last few months. I had never been prescribed it before.
At first I did not even know what the Buspar was for. I thought it was for depression.
The only anxiety medication I had been on before the Buspar was Clonazepam.
I honestly do not know if the Buspar is working or not. I suffer from Depression AND
Anxiety. The depression seems to be way less now-a-days, but the anxiety seems
way up. I think the anxiety is way up there because I was isolated for a long time and
now I am finally leaving my apartment, going to support groups and meeting people.
I am having to make way more choices and decisions now than I ever was. I would
really like to ask my Psychiatrist about this the next time I see her. I know all about
relaxation techniques and all of that, but sometimes the anxiety becomes too much
for even THAT to work. I sure like that Ativan and Clonazepam. I know there are
addictive and they are controlled substances, but they sure make you feel good
and they work :o .

LyndaLu :)

jannymac

Post by jannymac » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:49 pm

I was told it takes about three weeks to kick in. I really can't vouch for it, as my period of panic attacks never went on for that long, and, at that point, I just wasn't willing to take meds. I still deal with depression every day, but the anxiety seems to have left altogether.

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:11 am

Hello Everyone:

I am still taking the Buspar. But recently I have been agitated, irritated, aggravated,
frustrated and just plain pissed off. Something DID happen in March 2014 that
MAY have triggered this change in mood. I recently talked to my Psychiatrist about
the increasing anxiety. I was taking the Buspar as prescribed and I was using
all of the coping skills I had learned along the way but I was still anxious. So she
prescribed me some Clonazepam. I am just taking a very small dose, 1 pill a day.
I take 1/2 a pill in the morning and 1/2 a pill in the afternoon. I actually have noticed
a change and my anxiety has lessened. I have not been pissed off lately, so that
is a good sign that the Clonazepam is working.

Lynda Lu

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”