Weaning down to lower dose of citalopram

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
MirandaLey

Weaning down to lower dose of citalopram

Post by MirandaLey » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:33 pm

Hi everyone! :D

I've been on 40 mg of citalopram (which is the highest they like to give) for about a year (before that I had been off of it for a year and before that had been on it about two years). I've moved down from 40 mg to 30 mg a day.

At first I didn't notice a difference but about a month into the switch I was hit with some stress and depressed feelings. It got me scared at first, because last summer my anxiety and depression was pretty bad, and I was worried it was happening all over again. But I talked to my GP and she told me it was pretty normal to have some days where it feels like the "old" bad times are back, but that if it got out of hand to let her know.

Well I'm proud to say that I worked through a couple of hard days and now I seem to be handling things well. I think it helped that I've started the program again (going through it the second time). The meds really help but I really believe it is the skills I learned in this program that saved me from fear, despair, depression, feelings of hopelessness and panic and anxiety and obsessive thoughts. I finished the program for the first time many months ago and have been doing really fabulous for about a year now -- I travel (though I haven't flown yet), I run my own business, I take risks and purposely put myself into situations that will make me a bit anxious so that I know I can do it.

My advice to anyone who wants do go down in their meds is to make sure you're really ready, and then be patient with yourself, you will have some bad days but that's all it is. Bad days pass and good days come again, and there are an overwhelming amount of good days rather than bad days in my life -- this despite the fact that I've struggled with anxiety, OCD and depression for 9 years!! I'd say only 1% of my life has been really difficult because of it, and the other 99% is pretty darn good, yes I will have anxiety and depression -- everyone does, but thank goodness for this program -- and for medication!

I feel like I don't care if I have to be on it for the rest of my life, no big deal and it's no worse than someone being on insulin for diabetes. I've never taken an anti-anxiety pill which I'm happy about, because I know I can control and alleviate my panic. I'm happy to be moving down in dosage of my anti-depressant but also am not going to push myself to go any lower just now as there's a lot going on in my life!

So for those of you on meds, starting to come off, or thinking about going on, I am sending prayers and love your way. Give the program everything you've got and be wise about your meds and you will be content and happy and anxiety free. :)

forever young 06

Re: Weaning down to lower dose of citalopram

Post by forever young 06 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:48 am

I am on 20 mg of celexa and I have good and bad days. I used to not think twice about about taking anti depressant. I started on imprimane for 30 yrs and they got me out of the house. I decided to try the newer ssris. I took Zoloft but seemed to have break thru anxiety. then went on Prozac it worked and took it for almost 2 yrs. I went off for 2 months and started have weird spells I still don 't know what they are. I went back on Prozac but had terrible side effects and insomnia. I then went on celexa and have been on it since july. I am hoping it will work . I have been told it is hard to get back on anti depressants. It has been that way with me. I am still have the spells.

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”