Medication for flying

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
kchase731

Medication for flying

Post by kchase731 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:52 pm

Im about a month into the program. I have had anxiety for 10+ years. For 4 years i was taking xanax daily, a very small dose, .25 usually broken in half 2x a day. Last january, i sort of melted down and stopped taking it. I was determined to get better completely, and naturally. Im trying my best at the program, but it is very hard for me. I know that diet is one of the biggest keys for me feeling well. As long as i avoid, alcohol, caffeine, sugar, and most grains i feel great (easy, right?) but at least i know. This entire calendar year i have been great, no meds, no alcohol, very limited caffeine, and very limited sugar and grains.

I have a flight i have to take on thursday (there is no way i cant not go, and that alone makes me very nervous)...im already freaking out. i do not want to take meds! but im already in a state of panic. I know how safe flying is, but even typing this my palms are sweating profusely. My sister happens to be a psychiatry resident, and very holistic. she gave me options. my dad is a chiroprator, and he gave me his options. so what i have been presented with is .25mg xanax, 10mg propranolol from my sister for extreme panic (i am a ver sensitive person, so i know how small those doses sound, but i will have withdrawal and headaches from even that amount). my dad has given me kava, melatonin, and organic minerals. i also have access to basically every herb, and supplement made.

i think my biggest issue is ive been feeling very good, and im very nervous about getting "off my program" any help would be greatly appreciated.

coachjanine

Re: Medication for flying

Post by coachjanine » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:20 pm

Hello! This is coach Janine. Are you able to listen to Lucinda's CD's while flying? That would be helpful! The anticipation is always worse than the event, and Lucinda will remind you of this. Also Dr. Reid Wilson has written a book called, Achieving Comfortable Flight: Taking the Anxiety Out of Airline Travel . I highly recommend it, it conjunction with StressCenter's program to help you overcome your fear. There will be more flights! Whenever the negative thought comes up about flying, try to write it down and change it. Millions of people fly every single day, and the only way to get where you need to go :) You can do it. I am rooting for you!

kchase731

Post by kchase731 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:45 pm

i cant exactly pin a negative thought, however my body is in a hyper anxious state. i mentally know how safe/easy flying is, i know where im going is fun, its just the process. im seriously distraught over the process, and have been anxious for a while leading up to it, and its getting much worse as the date approaches.

i dont want to take meds, ive been off them for a long time 11 1/2 months but im really uneasy have been all week, and getting worse. i guess the question is do people with very bad anxiety use things like xanax as a bridge for things like flying and then go back to not using it when the very anxious activity is over? I really dont want to fall back into the daily use pattern and that also rather scares me and has me anxious.

Thanks

coachchris

Post by coachchris » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:25 am

Hi Kyle,

Great to connect with you again and thanks for the email I look forward to going over some coaching options when you return. I know you will do well.

Bridge is a great word and we use it often when thinking about meds and supplements. The key is to be able to have a positive relationship with the meds and keep your power. Keep it all in perspective. If you had an injured knee that you were rehabbing and you knew you were going to a special event and had to be on your feet for an extended period of time you would wear a brace for more support. Went the event was over you would go back to your normal rehab experience. We wouldn't expect to depend on the brace anymore because life was back to normal. Keep things in perspective. Be a truth-teller and always under-react. This is your next step, it's going to be a good weekend!

Talk soon.
Coach Chris

coachjanine

Post by coachjanine » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:40 am

Hi Kyle. You are only a month into the program and you are already pushing yourself to do what you are afraid of! Good for you! If you have the medication, do you think it would make you feel better if you just brought it with you? What is the worst case scenario? Getting on a plane was one of my biggest fears. I listened to Lucinda's CD's, did a lot of abdominal breathing, and took some magazines for light reading. Think of all the people who you know that fly. I am going to see my son in Germany this December who is studying there for a year. If I don't go, I will miss the chance to see him at Christmas. Decide to make it a good experience. The other choice is NOT to. It is a CHOICE! I can't wait to hear how your tip goes! Please let us know. Janine

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Sat May 10, 2014 2:35 pm

I am going to fly on a plane, probably, this September 2014.
I have not been on a plane since 2011.
I was much more confident back in 2011 than I am now.
I have gone through some psychological changes since 2011.
I experienced quite a bit of isolation in 2012 and 2013,
and I received a new diagnosis of Major Depressive Disorder
in October 2013. I will have to fly in September 2014
so that my sister and I can bury my moms ashes in a
cemetery in northern Minnesota. I will be gone at least
three days.

The flying is only one part of my anxiety,
the other part is that I will be gone from my apartment / city
for at least three days. I am quite worried about this.
I was in the hospital only 8 months ago and I am doing
the best I can at working on my recovery each and every day.
I have classes and workshops and support groups
that I attend. I try to use my coping skills daily.
But I am still worried about this trip in September 2014.

I will have no control over anything. I will have no control
over the airplane. I won't be driving my own vehicle.
I will be staying overnight at relatives houses.
I won't be in my familiar environment, my safe place.
My safe place is my apartment. I am not used to being
gone so long from my apartment. Right now, if I spend a whole
day on activities and errands, when I come home to
my apartment after that I am EXHAUSTED. I have no
idea how I am going to handle this entire trip. It is
not happening for four months but I am worrying now
because that is my nature.

I WAS going to ask my
psychiatrist for some kind of extra medication to
help me with the added stress ? I see my psychiatrist
next week. I don't want to be overmedicated for
the burial services, but I don't want to be freaking
out with anxiety around all of my relatives either.
They don't understand anxiety and depression.
I am also physically disabled, so this trip is not
going to be a fun time for me at all ? I guess I
need to start using that POSITIVE THINKING
right now !

Lynda Lu :shock:

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”