Will starting a medication help me in this program?

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
gildamb

Will starting a medication help me in this program?

Post by gildamb » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:04 am

I went on Effexor for 3 months and am now almost completely off it - I didn't tell my doctor about the reaction I was having because i was embarassed/anxious and when I recently did finally tell him, he told me it was an allergic reaction and to get off it slowly. Last pill taken 2 days ago. I am on some natural vitamins/supplements as well (naturopathic). Do I need to start on another antidepressant to help with this program or just try it without any meds? Will the program be as effective or more effective without medicine, as I can feel all the anxiety now?

Ravenfan

Re: Will starting a medication help me in this program?

Post by Ravenfan » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:51 pm

Hi,

I am in week 13 of the program and found about three weeks ago I needed to be back on meds to manage my anxiety, depression, and panic attacks. The program helps in so many ways, offering me tools for reducing stress that can lead to my panic attacks which were coming at least three times a week. I couldn't exercise away my anxiety, nor sleep it away, (nor really sleep much at all) and I lost a lot of weight because I just couldn't eat and was so hyped up, my metabolism burned off all my good muscle tone and all my fat. Which you may say is a good thing, but I was very weak and it made things worse!
I have been on many different meds over the years, but found Zoloft to work best for me right now. I tried going off all meds for a year and started this program in February when I realized I needed help. I did not want to take meds but it became clear I needed them as I just was getting more anxious and upset with myself because I was not getting better. The week 11 program? about taking meds helped me not feel ashamed about having to take the meds. My Mother has anxiety and depression and it runs in my family. So I decided for the welfare of myself and my family to go back on meds, under a doctors care, go to regular christian counseling, and also do the program. It has not been not easy but I am MUCH better than I was just six months ago.
So I hope my experience helps you make your decisions.
Best,
Jill

gildamb

Post by gildamb » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:25 am

Thank you so much Jill. It's what I needed to hear. You sound so similar that I believe the Lord directed you to answer me. I am also going to Christian counselling. My mother and father also suffer from anxiety but they have never been able to face it. I will try this without meds for a bit - do what you did (similar thinking) but if the exercising/self-talk etc doesn't help then I will try an antidepressant again. I am in week 3 and the thoughts I have are very hard to shake off. It takes a lot of exhausting work, as you know. Were you able to succeed in the thought area? Was it easier even before you went back on the meds?

Ravenfan

Post by Ravenfan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:52 pm

Unfortunately no. In fact, during the first half of the program, my thoughts were worse! My thoughts, especially if I woke up in the night were always overwhelming. Now that I am on the meds, the thoughts still come but I am able to let them drift in and out of my mind without obsessing. Whereas before I would try and stop them, then rationalize them, then beat myself up for not being able to let them go...it was a vicious cycle.
I learned a lot though trying to do it without meds and now use the skills I gained from the program to help me when I get anxious, which I still do since I have only been on meds for 4 weeks now. But, it is so much more managable now. And people have noticed the change in me. They say my sparkle is back and that is wonderful to hear.
Keep on doing what you are doing. Listen to your therapist, run the program and have a doctor in mind that you trust to help you should you determine they are necessary. Yes, I believe God wanted us to connect. I pray you will find a new improved self with his guidance and the help of caring people he puts in your path.
Best,
Jill

dlep1234

Post by dlep1234 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:34 pm

this was very refreshing to read. in fact I feel like god directed me to read this :) if you guys don't mind I'd love if you read my story and gave me any advice or suggestions :)
I have been doing the program for about 5 months but I wasn't really sticking to it and only did it when i felt i had time. my anxiety/depression had been good but then it got so bad that I couldn't hardly drive anymore and in my own house I had been feeling quite depressed and still anxious. I started doubting the program. Then, I just started taking zoloft 4 days ago. (first time on meds finally) The first day was very bad cuz obviously the pill hadn't kicked in and I had been having my worst week ever. Possibly the worst days of my life anxiety/depression wise. I was always scared to take meds but I knew I had to do something now. Luckily the night of my first day on the meds I said to myself "I need to just go all out and stick with the program for the first time. between that and the meds i will get better." This made me feel much more hope than earlier in the day. In fact I felt great. The 2nd day I already felt more calm when I had to drive into town and back. That made me feel great but later in the day I felt very dizzy and strange and had a bad night of sleep. The 3rd day I was very tired and noticed the meds seemed to be having a side effect that made it so that I would wake up earlier in the morning than usual and not be able to fall back asleep. This made me tired and I felt very anxious, emotionless and depressed the 3rd day. the 4th day is today and I slept a bit better and am feeling positive which is great. It's nice to hear you guys talking about how the meds can allow you to drift through your obsessive thoughts/feelings because that's what was getting to me the most the past few weeks. I noticed today despite the fact that I feel kind of out of it, I do feel calm and not depressed like yesterday. I'm really hoping when the meds fully kick in in a few weeks that I'll be able to sleep longer in the mornings, have more of an appetite(barely any lately), and feel alert. I am very confident that the meds will help me be calmer and not let obsessive thoughts get out of control which is great. But I still feel quite tired today and don't wanna always feel like this. And I hope my appetite comes back. Thanks for reading! best of luck to you guys!

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”