Cutting down on Klonopin

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
AliButtons

Cutting down on Klonopin

Post by AliButtons » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:51 pm

I've always had a prescription for Klonopin (well... not ALWAYS, but for over 5 years or so), but I only ever took one if I knew I was going to be doing something really stressful. After the severe panic attacks started 3 months ago, my doctor eventually got me up to taking 3 MG a day. After reading many posts on this board, I feel like this is WAY too much. I've been seeing weird things when I close my eyes, and recently I started getting really angry. I'm having awful mood swings, too. Just a lot of unwanted side effects.

They've only been up to 3 MG for about 3-4 weeks now, so I think I'm going to try and decrease them down to 1 MG per day - .5 in the morning and .5 at night. I'm super worried about becoming addicted, too. I am on no other medication for anxiety because all others have interfered with my Bipolar medications.... so I'm feeling really antsy and nervous today. The last few days have just been absolutely awful and I really think the Klonopin has a lot to do with it, so I think this will be better for me.... but I'm scared! I am absolutely terrified of dropping dead and I'm feeling weak and shakey, which isn't helping.... but I know I need to do this. I've contacted my doctor, btw.

I just know I'll get addicted if I keep going like this, but I hate feeling so shakey and nervous. I don't know what to do.

Peace1217

Re: Cutting down on Klonopin

Post by Peace1217 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:15 pm

Hi AliButtons. I just read your post. How is it going? I'm glad you contacted your doctor because you should always be under their supervision, preferably, when you start to taper down. Klonopin has the opposite effect on me. It zones me out. I was up to 4mg a day and my cognitive skills really suffered. I feel like I can't and I don't remember anything for the past 10 years...(it may be less than 10). My doctor had me taper down by .5 mg....He wanted to do that every week but I did it once I was comfortable. He was ok with that. I managed to get down to taking .5mg a day. I do find myself more anxious now that I used to be but I'd rather not be addicted either. I take .25mg in the afternoon for my evening commute on the train. I can't stand the train.

WB and let us know how it's going.

greneyes13

Re: Cutting down on Klonopin

Post by greneyes13 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:10 am

ive been on a reccomended 4mg a day for at least 3 years...my cognative skills also suffered, but when i started feeling better....and im still reeeeallllly having to work at that.....i just take one when i feel antsy. i tried quitting for a week and had a seizure. kolonopin is seizure medication so you cant just stop or cut down very quickly. ask your doc what to do.

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”