Generic Wellbutrin (bupropion)

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
Annalyzer24

Generic Wellbutrin (bupropion)

Post by Annalyzer24 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:43 pm

I haven't posted in a long time here but felt this very important to tell you guys! The generic wellbutrin has turned my world upsidedown!! I have been in a living nightmare since I was switched! I have never been suicidal but it hasn't sounded like a terrible option lately... It has had absolutly the complete reverse effect that this medicine is suppose to have! My anxiety has returned worse then ever and I have ben severely depressed! I found endless stories on the internet of the same thing happening to many... Just wanted to warn you or just even make you aware that Wellbutrin and the generic are NOT the same!
Anna

LyndaLu

Re: Generic Wellbutrin (bupropion)

Post by LyndaLu » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:29 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the generic.
I have been on the generic for a while now.

Holly J

Post by Holly J » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:30 pm

Indeed the generic of wellbutrin in like a whole different evil drug than the brand name. I advise anyone who takes wellbutrin to always take the brand name. The generic does some serious mental damages to you while taking them. Doctors may say its the same thing or pharmacist but NO. Actually my psych wont prescribe generic of wellbutrin she only prescribes the brand name because she knows the bad effects it has done to people.

indiekid

Post by indiekid » Wed May 01, 2013 9:19 am

My psychiatrist prescribed Wellbutrin to me when I told him I was feeling a lot of depression and anxiety. I ended up feeling even more anxious and couldn't eat at all. The next time I saw him, he told me to stop taking it as he didn't realize how bad my anxiety was.

I do NOT think this is a good choice for anyone dealing with anxiety. From my understanding, it helps to give you energy which is not what I need when I have anxiety as my body is already in overdrive. I have a friend who takes it for depression in which she is very tired all the time and sleeps a lot. But for anxiety - I don't think it's a good idea.

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:36 pm

I was off of all of my psychiatric medications for a while. But now I am on some of them again.
I am taking the generic for Wellbutrin. I have not had any ill side effects from this medication.
Many people are taking the generic drugs because this is what their Insurance companies will
pay for, it all depends on the formulary table they refer to. I have been on name brand drugs
before for physical conditions and the costs were very high. I was taking Nexium for a while a
few years back and that medication was very expensive, even WITH prescription coverage from
my Insurance company. I cannot afford to take a name brand medication if my Insurance company
does not cover the costs. I live on a fixed income now and every penny counts.

L.L. :)

FloridaBelle

Post by FloridaBelle » Thu May 28, 2015 1:21 pm

I did well on Wellbutrin with no problems until they switched to generic! I was excited at 1st that the co-pay for my Rx would be much less. However, I had the oddest reaction they had ever heard to the generic. The best way to describe it was it felt as those there were tiny bubbles in my lungs popping 24/7. I hung in there with that horrible side effect until about 5 days. The problem remained until it was all out of my system. I went through it twice to be sure it was from the generic and it happened again until it was out of my system. Therefore, I know there was a difference in the two medications. I couldn't afford the $300.00 or more they wanted at that time for the regular. I think I was on the extended release but had tried both before the generic was available. It's been a very long time as I mentioned but I have always wondered if anyone else had an issue like mine with the feeling of bubbles popping in their lungs due to the generic Wellbutrin.

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”