Quitting Buspar

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
CourageousKris

Quitting Buspar

Post by CourageousKris » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:55 pm

So today is my first day of tapering off Buspirone (Buspar). I have been taking 20mg/day in four doses for 2 months. I am really scared of the side effects of coming off the drug...even though I'm doing it slowly which I know will help. My Doctor told me to reduce 5mg per week until I'm done. She also prescribed GABA to help with the withdrawl. GABA is an amino acid which help with neuro-receptors, same as Buspar. Anyway..so far today just feel spacey and have a headache. Hopefully that will go away within a day or two. I'm really praying that coming off of it doesn't trigger a panic attack. I'm been doing really well the last month or so. I am on week 7 off the program, so will just keep working it and pray for the best.

Anyone else have any experience with quitting Buspar? I could use some reassurance that it will all be okay.

Thanks!! - Kris

CourageousKris

Re: Quitting Buspar

Post by CourageousKris » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:34 am

Update....I'm now taking 6 weeks to wean off the meds, with 2 weeks between each step down on amounts. This is what my therapist (person who prescribed it) said to do. I guess that will almost eliminate the side effects of quitting.

Doing okay, I'm feeling the nervous stomach, general anxiety a bit more, but my steps and tools from this program are working. YEAH!!1 :D

Thanks all...Kris

lulu42983

Post by lulu42983 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:58 pm

I was on Buspar for a little over a month and it didn't do a whole lot for me so my Dr. told me I could stop. I slowly came off it and didn't notice any difference. Like always, everyone is different so it may be a different situation for you. But just wanted to let you know I was there and didn't know what the effects would be coming off of it. Luckily I was fine and don't miss taking a pill several times a day! I wish you all the best!

drodaniel

Post by drodaniel » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:27 pm

I just started buspar. not sure if it's helping or not. I do not feel as anxious or depressed but still pretty tired. Is fatigue one of the effects? Also, I may have OSA...

pepsilover

Post by pepsilover » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:36 pm

I've had panick attacks for 4 months then started Busbar. I've been on it for 2 1/2 months. Love it!!!! My doctor says it's ok to be on it and the normal length to be on it is 1 year then decide if it's time to wean off. I have been told it takes up to two months to get the full level effect of the drug. And atleast two weeks for the fatigue side effects to wear off. You can always call and talk to your pharmacisit, mine knows best. I take mine in conjunction with 3-4 mg. of valium per day and 5 mg. of lexapro. Why, if I may ask, are you stopping so soon?
pepsilover,
Lynne

CourageousKris

Post by CourageousKris » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:33 am

The Buspar took about a month to really start working and then it worked really well, so that wasn't the issue. I just hated the tired feeling, especially in the morning, and it was tearing up my stomach. Lots of throwing up and just general stomach pain and interruption with my digestion. All that started reducing as I lowered the dosage and since I've been off it totally the last 1-1/2 weeks, it's all gone. I really don't want to have to go back on it, but it's nice to know it's there if I ever need it again.
If it wasn't for the stomach pain, I would probably still be on it.

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:35 pm

What is buspar and is it for anxiety or for depression. I have never heard of it before.
Is buspar a generic name for the drug?

Lynda

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:39 pm

The internet said that buspar should only be taken for 4 weeks :shock:
It said it is a short term medication.
Lynda

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”