Weaning off Zoloft

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
Lola2007

Weaning off Zoloft

Post by Lola2007 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:01 pm

About three years ago I spent an entire year weaning myself (with my doctors help) off of zoloft 100 mg. Right at the time that I was completely off it my husband of 23 years left me and the anxiety came back and I went back on it. I am only taking .50 mg this time and often find that I will even go days without realizing that I have forgotten to take it. I am to the point where I am not even sure it is really helping me all that much and I really don't want to be taking anything for the anxiety anymore. Does anyone have any positive experiences weaning off zoloft that they can share with me? I really don't want to hear any horror stories but would prefer to tackle this on the POSITIVE side.
Thanks

Paisleegreen

Re: Weaning off Zoloft

Post by Paisleegreen » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:15 pm

I've weaned off of several AD's, not at the same time and not cold turkey. Since you are already here and have the program that will help you. And if you forget for a few days at a time, then you might do okay. Just gear yourself up to do a lot of aerobic exercise, walking, take Omega 3's or eat eggs, chicken, beef, tuna, sea food, almonds, walnuts, food with Omega 3 in it. Stay away from sugar, caffeine, drink milk...get some sunshine. Paislee :mrgreen:

meganlloyd6

Post by meganlloyd6 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:58 pm

Lola,
I am so sorry for the timing of your circumstances. I have been on Zoloft since I was 14 y/o for depression and I am almost 28 y/o now. I have struggled with weaning off Zoloft, but I am down to 25mg. I am in week two of the StressCenter.com program and I am very optimistic about getting completely off med. My plan is to complete the program, then consult with a psychiatrist and possibly a psychologist as well and slowly wean off the med. I have tried multiple times to wean off Zoloft and failed, but because I have taken it so long I never learned the emotional coping skills that I am learning now with the StressCenter.com program. I have also never received the help of a psychiatrist to wean off. I always did it on my own and learned I had to do it very slowly. This last time I tried breaking my 25 mg pill in half and taking that for one month, then one month of half a pill every other day, then one month of half a pill every third day. Is this how you do it? When I was younger I was on 100 mg of Zoloft for depression, I no longer feel depressed, but struggle with anxiety, especially when I am weaning. I am now down to 25 mg and I am more emotional, but that is good and bad. I was getting to were I didn't even care if my bf showed affection to me or not. I didn't care about anything and I was a zombie. Sometimes you need that to cope with things, but as you know, I think it is better to live life more fully even if your more emotional. I really like this program and hope it works for me. I hope you can get back to weaning again, because I think you just hit a wall with the things going on around you. That is normal and very reasonable. Don't beat yourself up about it, just try to do your best. I always think, "worst case scenario, you stay on it". You know what that's like, so it's not that scary. Hope this helps, I am relieved to hear someone else going through this difficult process.

jmb14

Post by jmb14 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:45 pm

I weaned myself off of Zoloft and yes it took some time, but I did it without any problems. I was on 75mg to start then I went every other day 75 to 50mg for a week, it I felt ok at the end of the week I started the next week at 50 and stayed there for 2 weeks, then if I felt good I did 50 and 25 every other day for a week, if at the end of week I felt good (I can't remember) I went to 25 for 2 weeks (or stayed at 50 -25 for another week), once I got at 25 I stayed there for a few weeks to see how I did. When I was up to the challenge, I cut my pills 50mg into fours and continue weaning down. It took me awhile to slowly stop taking any, but I did it. That was almost 5 years ago. I did not have any bad side effects or problems, but I was on Zoloft for 6 years and went through a lot of therapy.

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”