Psych Med's

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
Laur22

Psych Med's

Post by Laur22 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:24 am

Hi Everyone,
I am having a hard time with anxiety. I have suffered from this for 14 years, med free. Well now the physical symptons are just getting worse and more frequent so my doctor's have put me on different ones. I had a REALLY bad panic attack 2 months ago and went to the E.R. in an ambulance(because I was all alone) and they prescribed me Xanax. I had never taken it before and was very hesitant. I ended up taking it 3 days later because I felt another one was coming on. I liked how it relaxed me, but it would also make me sleep for about 4-5 hours, which was pretty inconvenient in the middle of the day. After speaking with my Psychiatrist, she prescribed me Celexa. I took 20 mg of that. The first 2 days were fine, but then from day 3 to 8, I had daily Panic attacks. My body was so worn out from all of that, that I just stopped taking the Celexa. After numerous visits to E.R.'s, my doctor, they told me I need to get ahold of my anxiety. I spoke with my doctor and she prescribed me Lexapro. I have not started it yet because I get SOOOO scared of the "possible" side affects. I dwell on these things and that makes it worse. I am obsessed with my medical well being and run to the E.R for everything. They just prescribed me Klonopin as well to take on a as needed basis. Well I read the side affects and got scared. It says it's an anti-seizure medication....why would I need that??
If anyone has any opinions or can help in anyway I would greatly appreciate that!

Thank you!

Laur22

Re: Psych Med's

Post by Laur22 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:38 am

I see alot of views,but noone has replied. I would love your input.

d1adsl5a

Post by d1adsl5a » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:44 pm

I didn't do well on the ssri's lexapro or celexa. I was on celexa a few years ago and it took a long time for the side effects to go away. Three years later, I started have alot of anxiety as my divorce was coming to an end and my insomnia came back. I tried celexa again, and my body just wouldn't tolerate it again. My recomendation is to stay away from the benzo family. Xanax, Klonopin(read stevie nick's story) and ativan. Your body becomes addicted fast and you need more as the rebound anxiety comes back. I made a mistake and was desperate for sleep and I asked for xanax. I had great sleep for a week and then the rebound anxiety started kicking in. I started tapering for a month. Even though it was a low dose .5 to .25 mg that I was taking, I had a horrible time coming off of it. If you can avoid it, you should. They are dangerous. There are other alternatives than the ssri's. I was put on a low dose of seroquel to sleep which is helping. There are others ssri's that your body may tolerate. I felt like I was prescribing myslef medicine when i went to the psychiatrist. Mediation helps. Look a Dr. Kabat. He has some good meditation CD's. Good luck..

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:16 pm

I know it is 2012 now, but I will put in my "two cents". :)

I too was a "frequent flyer" at my local hospital emergency room. It was almost
ridiculous how many times I was there. I never went to the ER in an ambulance,
but came pretty close to it one time when my heart was beating out of my chest
for two hours straight. Of course, I did not know at that time WHAT a panic attack was.
If I would have known what a panic attack WAS I would have been able to handle
the whole situation differently. At the ER they just gave me an Ativan and then sent me home. :shock:

I, too, would not recommend some of the medications that are out there at this time
for anxiety. My meds HAVE helped me along the way and they did really save my life
at a time when I needed it to be saved ( I was hospitalized three times ). I am still
taking my antidepressant / anxiety /mood disorder drugs, but I am sick of them and
I want to be able to control my behavior by working with my psychiatrist to
wean me off of the drugs, working on a CBT based program, and reading some great books
that are out there, and maybe a little spirituality along the way wouldn't hurt either. :?

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”