help! antidepressant medication worries

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
anonymous27

help! antidepressant medication worries

Post by anonymous27 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:02 pm

I was recently prescribed celexa by my psychiatrist. I feel like I need to be on an antidepressant. I cry a lot and feel down on most days, but I am worried about side effects. I didn't start taking it yet. In the past I have tried many antidepressants but would quit before I gave it enough of a chance to kick in 'cause I was so worried about side effects. I'm not sure what I should do.

Maybe the benefits will far outweight the side effects. but maybe not, and then I'll feel like I'm wasting my time and money jumping from one medication to the next because none of them are helping.

Should I take the meds or not?

Hellosully22

Re: help! antidepressant medication worries

Post by Hellosully22 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:29 pm

You will start seeing some benefit after a couple weeks and even greater benefit thereafter. Side effects usually take a couple weeks to go away. I would stick with it. Exercise helps me get over the bumps at the start.

anonymous27

Post by anonymous27 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:01 pm

Thank you for the reassurance. That was all I really needed. I think I will give it a shot and try the meds.

Pauly J

Post by Pauly J » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:17 am

You may not even experience any side effects from the medication. Not always does one experience side effects with taking medication. If you do, it may not be too bad, and will mostly disappear in a short time.

I have heard of many who have stopped taking a medication due to side effects and not really giving it a fair chance to work for them.

I, personally have benefited greatly from medication use. Main side effects for me were dry mouth, some blurriness, and weight gain. Not bad for a medication that has stopped my panic attacks, greatly improved my anxiety levels, and lifted my depression. Oh and not to mention, it helped me to sleep once again after experiencing insomnia for 3 weeks.

Do the benefits outweigh the costs? It sure did for me. It can for you, too.

pauly j

anonymous27

Post by anonymous27 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:22 pm

Thanks for the comments. It is very reassuring to know. Thank you pauly for putting things into perspective for me. It's true. I'd rather deal with a few side effects (which may not even be so bad) and feel better, then to continue feeling stuck and down in the dumps. I have hope.
I know I waited longer than I should, but at least I started. Today was my first dose of the celexa. I know it could take several weeks to feel the benefits, so for now, I'm just gonna try my best to do things that will make me feel good and have patience while the medicine does its thing.

katielynnew

Post by katielynnew » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:02 pm

i had a really bad reaction to lexapro and now the doc prescribed buspar, but i am so scared to start taking it that it makes me nervous just to think about it because i dont want the adverse side effects. i had side effects that werent even listed. woke up at 1 am feeling like i had acid running thru my veins and i paniced (thanks lexapro >:( )

cardave

Post by cardave » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:24 pm

I have been on several antidepressants for the last 15 years...I have suffered with anxiety and panic all of my life..and was doing okay before meds..my husband left me and I went into a bad breakdown...the doctor put me on prosac and it really changed my life...I no longer had panic attacks and the black cloud over my head. I had the attacking anxiety course before the meds and it really helped..but I need medication when I was so ill. Prosac stopped working and then I went on Paxil..gained 40 lbs and then switched to celexa which I have been on for quite a while..I recently weaned down to 5 mg and was doing okay until I got another bout of Interstitial Cystitis which spiraled me into severe panic attacks again..I have lost 14 lbs because I cannot eat...it is horrible..5 days ago I upped my celexa to 10 mg and will up it again to 15 mg. I dont know, but I dont want to live like this and I dont like taking meds...but it seems that I need them...it is discouraging to have to take them....but my quality of life is so much better when I am on them...

any comments?

Carol

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”