Worrying About Zoloft

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
brittneyyabs

Worrying About Zoloft

Post by brittneyyabs » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:53 pm

Hey Everyone,

I have had anxiety since I was eight and am now 21. I always dealt with the obsessive scary thoughts, anxiety attacks, OCD, panic attacks, and Depression alone. I was doing okay when I would keep myself constantly busy, but my parents thought I should try a medicine to help. I was prescribed Buspar and it was working partly, but made me so tired I felt like I needed to immediately lay down a half hour after taking it.

I quit Buspar cold turkey after being on it for only a couple months and I was anxiety free for about 10months. Then I had to make a huge change in my life and move from what I was used to. When I moved, I felt like everything came down on me again so hard. I felt my anxiety was easily influenced by what people would say about certain issues and I started getting scary thoughts again and a lot of anxiety.

I gave in and started taking Buspar again because that was all I had. I really hate medication and would like to cope with anxiety without it, but at this point I felt like I needed immediate relief. I went to a new doctor and the prescribed me Zoloft. Today I have been taking it for one week and have been experiencing some side effects.

I have been nauseous, loss of appetite, feeling nervous, having headaches, trouble sleeping, and a burning/prickly skin sensation when I feel an anxiety attack coming on. I hate feeling not "normal" when I am on a medication, so it scares me to have the side effects.

I don't know if it would be better to stick it out and try to see how I do, or quit now before I get a lot in my system and it is hard to get off.

I almost feel that the Buspar was more comfortable, because even though it was working ALL the time, I still felt like I had enough concentration to use my coping skills. The Zoloft makes it hard to concentrate on positive self talk.

Does anyone have an opinion? I just want to get back to functioning normally and not dwelling on the negative things.

Thanks! <3

candid

Re: Worrying About Zoloft

Post by candid » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:55 pm

I was on Zoloft also. Withdrawal is really tough (for me, mostly crying). I am in week 3 now. Sometimes dizzy, but on the good side, I am sleeping so much better. The reason I chose to go off (with my docs guidance) is because the longer I was on it, I realized I was feeling numb to things that would normally make someone laugh or cry or whatever. I want to know what I am feeling, knowing that even when times get tough I have learned resources/responses that will help me get though it. Hang in there...

brittneyyabs

Post by brittneyyabs » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:32 pm

That's almost how I feel; "numb". I noticed today I just didn't really care about much and I wasn't even really engaging in conversation as I would usually. I don't know. I am going to have to wait and see what my doctor says. If the withdrawl is bad, I'd rather get off sooner than later.

Thanks!!

candid

Post by candid » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:36 pm

Trust yourself more...move your muscles (walk, bike, swim, run) and be consistent with it. You will be amazed how much better you will feel.

brittneyyabs

Post by brittneyyabs » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:40 pm

Thank you!!

Mrs. W

Post by Mrs. W » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:53 pm

I have been on the lowest dose of xanax and take it as needed for years. It isn't helping, but I am so afraid of medication and side affects. My therapist and my doctor both want me to try zoloft. My 17 year old daughter just started taking it on July 1st and has no side affects. She's taking 50mg. The doctor prescribed me 25mg and I picked it up from the pharmacy, but still haven't taken it. I am so fearful of the side affects or weaning off eventually. Do you think it's worth a shot? I can't stand feeling this way anymore! My daughter's doctor said it's for anxiety, panic attacks, pms and depression. When I heard that, I thought "Wow! That's me!" Even though I don't think I suffer from depression. I am thinking of biting the bullet and starting it tonight based on what my daughter and doctors are saying. Any opinions?

brittneyyabs

Post by brittneyyabs » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:10 pm

I think you should try it if your doctor said so. It works different for other people. It didn't work for me, and I quit taking it and haven't really had any bad side effects for being off of it except being dizzy and a little nausea. I think you will be fine :)

Good luck and let me know how it goes!

I think I am getting back on Buspar. That seemed to work pretty good for me.

Mrs. W

Post by Mrs. W » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:11 pm

Thanks for the reply. I started the zoloft last night.I feel anxious this morning, a lil dizzy and nautious. But I feel that way with anxiety, so I'm not sure if it's anxiety over taking the meds or side affects from the zoloft? I'm a bit of a mess this morning!

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”