Which Medication should I take for Panic attacks?

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
LEOM

Which Medication should I take for Panic attacks?

Post by LEOM » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:18 pm

Hi Guys I am new .

I get Haeart racing and Excessive Swalling . when I Public Speakign/
Then I get scary thoughts when I am flying

What anxiety med should I use? :arrow:

d1adsl5a

Re: Which Medication should I take for Panic attacks?

Post by d1adsl5a » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:03 pm

DON'T DON'T TAKE A XANAX OR ANY BENZO. Initially, you will think it is the miracle drug. Then you will find your body craves it. Then the cycle begins... Don't do it. If you feel you need to be medicated, go to an SSRI or SNRI. Don't go for a quick fix. It was the worst mistake I made. The second time I made the mistake in 3 years.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:29 pm

That is what happened to me when I weaned off of antidepressants. Never had been on Xanax and was put on it to calm down a rubbery leg feeling, instead of an explanation as to why they were feeling that way. Anyway, due that and other things, is when I did have my first panic attack after I weaned off of the Xanax.

Now if needs be, you can use a Beta Blocker for stage fright..only for a short time. Don't start taking them for anxiety, you cannot go "Cold Turkey" off of them and it was difficult to wean off. They make you "drag" anyway, very tired.

Xanax is only good for a full blown panic attack until you can get your situation figured out. But I would stay clear of them as well, because there are withdrawals. You can sooth anxious moments by eating almonds, walnuts, tuna, trout, seafood, chicken, beef, and eggs. Stay away from caffeine and too much sugar or chocolate. I do take Temazepam to help me sleep, but if you can sleep without anything and have a quiet household, don't start taking that either. You will have to go cold turkey on that, meaning a night where you can't fall asleep. Paislee

Lola2007

Post by Lola2007 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:15 pm

My advice is to avoid any prescription medication for anxiety and do the attacking anxiety program instead. My doctor gave me a Rx for xanax two years ago and I have taken one 0.05 mg tablet twice in those two years. I take medication for anxiety and it doesn't really make that much of a difference and now I have to go through the hassle of weaning msyelf off of it. WIsh I had never started to begin with.

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:55 pm

I agree, don't start taking any medication for panic attacks unless it is absolutely neccessary !

Work on the program here through StressCenter or some other CBT based program,

it will help you out more than you think. There are some great books to read out there too.

Are you seeing a psychiatrist or psychologist?

I have been on anxiety meds and antidepressants for several years and I am sick of them, and

they become highly addictive too. I was on Paxil back in 2003 and that was a terrible drug to

be on. I am currently taking clonazepam for anxiety and working on weaning myself off of it at

this time.

Lynda :)

angelafal

Post by angelafal » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:01 pm

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting anything and I really hope someone out there can give me some advice.
I've been anti meds my whole life and up until just recently I haven't really needed them. I've always had mild anxiety when flying and speaking in front of people but after I lost my job last year and had a miscarriage shortly after, my anxiety and panic attacks have been fierce! Even just going out to dinner with my husband creates a panic attack. Because of the more intense anxious thoughts, I've become depressed and I've had insomnia for the past two weeks. I've never had trouble sleeping. I also just finished a cycle of fertility medicine called Clomid, which could be the culprit of the insomnia as well. My doctor told me to try Wellbutrin which I've been on for a few weeks but I haven't noticed a change in behavior. I'm also taking Vistaril for anxiety when needed (which I don't think does anything) and Ambien to sleep. I think my biggest concern is not sleeping and after taking Ambien for a few nights, it's only giving me about 4 or 5 hours. I'm thinking about quitting the Wellbutrin and Vistoril but does anyone recommend a good sleeping drug for anxious peeps like us?
We ended up not being pregnant this month but I'm okay with that. I think now is the time to work on me, instead of stressing about getting pregnant again. Of course, when you've been trying for over 3 years, you are subconsciously thinking about it. I'm seeing a psychologist on Tuesday so hopefully he will give me some insight on a good sleeping aid for anxious people.

Please let me know if you have any recommendations.
I need a good night's sleep.

Thanks!
Angela

lilzpk

Post by lilzpk » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:32 pm

I have been suffering from anxiety and depression for years and have been on a lot of different meds. My counslor wants me to try L-Tryptophan has anyone tried it?

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:23 pm

Angela:

I have been taking Lunesta for sleep for 5 years, but I started with some other medications before

that, like trazadone, remeron, and Ambien. I don't recommend any prescription medication for

sleep because you can get addicted to them and they have morning side effects.

I heard that Lunesta was only to be taken for short

term use and I have been using it for 5 years! I have had a sleep disorder for

years and haven't slept well for a long time. I would love to have 5 hours in a row of

undisturbed sleep. As far as over the counter pills, I have heard about Melatonin to help for

sleeping problems. And I have seen something about Sleepy Time Chamomile Tea to help a person

relax.

Lynda

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”