Staying off of Xanax

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
LMH2011

Staying off of Xanax

Post by LMH2011 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:47 pm

I was prescribed Xanax after the birth of my son for my anxiety (he is actually turning one tomorrow!). This is not the first time that I have taken any anti-anxiety medication - about 3 years ago, I tried Klonopin for about 2 weeks. Boy, did that stuff make me feel great - I didn't have a care in the world and loved life, but I stopped using it because I was afraid to become dependent on it. My anxiety over the years was not constant, so I didn't feel that I needed medication. But over the last year and a half, I've started to suffer from daily anxiety symptoms. So my doctor gave me Xanax after the birth, to help during the times that I'm anxious. Well, it seems that the more I take Xanax, the more anxious I feel and the more often I need to take it to feel normal. I don't like that at all. I was given .5mg tablets, but I cut them in half. The only time I take a full tablet is if I have to go to the doctor or am going through some other stressful event related to doctors/hospitals/anything medical. Anyway, I want to stop taking Xanax, but when I don't take it, I start to feel woozy and kind of light headed, then it builds some more and I feel like I'm going to fall over, then it builds more until I feel like I'm going to pass out. That's the point where I can't stand it and I take one. I have 3 children - I can't be feeling like that when I have to drive in the care with them and take care of them! Somebody please tell me.....how do I get these feelings to stop so I can get off of this medication? I only take about .25mg a day - there was a 2 week period where I didn't take it at all and each day I felt a little better, until I had yet another stressful event in my life and ended up taking more Xanax. Then I remembered how good it made me feel and I run to it every time now. I don't even know if the program is helping me because any time I get stressed out, I try using the techniques in the program. When that doesn't work, I take a Xanax. I am getting so disappointed in myself. I know I can do this, I just need some help getting out of this vicious cycle. Any advice on how to curb this wooziness/lightheadedness even slightly, just to make it manageable so I can stop taking this med?

John61

Re: Staying off of Xanax

Post by John61 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:46 pm

First I would try getting you Doctor to switch you to Klonopin since it is less addictive and it lasts longer. Then after everything calms down you can go off the Klonopin alot easier.

LMH2011

Post by LMH2011 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:13 am

I actually had a much harder time getting off of the Klonopin after only 2 weeks of use. My husband used Klonopin for a year and I watched him go through hell getting off of that. I don't take Xanax every day. I could get through any anxiety or panic attacks without medication, but my thought is why suffer through it? I have the medication here, so that's the only reason I take it. I'm looking for tips on how to come off of medication all together, not switch to something else. It seems that the medication has only made my anxiety worse over the last 6 months. When I didn't take medication, my anxiety was much more manageable. I'm trying to use the steps in the program, but they don't always work. I'm very stubborn and it's difficult for me to get rid of these negative thoughts that feed the anxiety. Can anybody else offer any advice on how they came off of medication....and stayed off?

yeattabake

Post by yeattabake » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:36 pm

hello you all! i recently detoxed from zanax. i was on it for multible years. My life is better now drug free. benzo withdrawl is worse than opiate withdrawl for i have been through both.Of course wiening down is the safest way to prevent seizures etc. when you 1st get off just accept that you will have panicky feelings and some rough days but they will pass. Work this program honestly to the best you possibly can. i have had anxiety almost all my life and the zanax ended up being a foolish nightmare. I am 31 days without that poison and my body and mind are getting better litteraly day by day. Thanks yeattabake 8-)

yeattabake

Post by yeattabake » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:10 am

John! No disrespect but please dont tell people that klonopine is easier to get off. thats extremely false. You must understand about benzos before posting false Info on something you obviously no little about! klonopine is a stronger benzo sorry!
yeattabake :shock:

LMH2011

Post by LMH2011 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:41 am

Thank you yeattabake! It's nice to hear that someone has come off of xanax and is actually feeling better! I have herbal supplements that I can take instead of xanax, so I'm hoping that they work well enough to get me through the rough patches!

yeattabake

Post by yeattabake » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:58 pm

Hello LMH. let me know your progress and i will help you all i can. Im not a know it all but i have been through the benzo nightmare. I have a strong desire to help people get through the withdrawls. I realize all i can do is share my experiences with others and hopefully benefit them as much as possible. Working with others is the best thing a human can do. I get a thrill from helping other people. I picture them smiling and living a drug free(addictive meds) life. yeattabake 8-)

THH

Post by THH » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:15 pm

LMH,
I only have a limited time 2 months straight with taking Zanax. I only took 1/2 a .25 - 2x day.( 1-.25 daily) I did feel shakie about the same time I would normally take it.( That only lasted for a few days while I was weaning off them. ) I would suggest mix up your times a little. If you took it at 10:00 maybe wait till 11:00. Also do it slowly, over weeks or even month depending how long you have taken it. Maybe even less per day and go to every other day.

Keep doing the program too, learn to recognize those thoughts and to float with the scary symptoms. Good Luck to you!

yeattabake

Post by yeattabake » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:54 pm

Hello LMH. Sounds like your grabbing the bull by its horns. I have been off for 32 days and im getting better. Im exercising and eating as much as i can. I have lost a lot of muscle. My stomach is nervous for half the day so i have to focus on getting food down for that time. I still have anxiety and numbness. Keep in mind though i have been on them for a long time so the withdrawls are really intense. Anybody on them for a long or even a short time will have mild to severe withdrawl. anyways may you be blessed with all good things! 8-) yeattabake

LMH2011

Post by LMH2011 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:26 am

HI everybody! Thank you for all of your replies! I made it through the whole day yesterday without giving in and taking a xanax, but I am having a hard time today. I know that this is my anxiety acting up and not withdrawl symptoms - I'm not even sure that I have true withdrawl, because I don't take more than .25mg a day, if I need it. I'm trying to float through the symptoms today, but I feel like my head and ears are going to explode! The pressure in there is crazy and then I start to "what-if" all of my symptoms! I know it's my anxiety, because yesterday it happened as well and I was able to distract myself by going out with my family, so it would go away for a few hours. Then when I thought to myself, "hey, i'm feeling pretty good!", that nasty feeling came back and I'd have to start all over with reminding myself that I'm OK and it's OK and everything is OK, but I did it.

Today I'm at home, trying to do some work, and it's hard to get fully distracted. I feel so good when I don't think about my anxiety or worry. Lately, I've been worrying that this anxiety is doing damage to my body, causing stress on my heart and I will end up having a heart attack by the time I am 40 (I'm going to be 33 in a few months). I have a hard time dealing with what prolonged stress can do to you and then I stress about that! You hear all of these things about how stress is so bad for you and xanax helps me forget about all of those terrible things and keeps me focused, but relaxed. I love the way I feel when I take those stupid little pills - so carefree and NORMAL!! But I need to learn how to do this on my own! It's just so hard....

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”