Staying off of Xanax

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
Ammy

Re: Staying off of Xanax

Post by Ammy » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:55 am

Day by Day, your symptoms to be hide. Take care.

ohio77

Post by ohio77 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:06 am

Hello LMH2011,
I am on Zoloft and also have Xanax for those times that I cannot calm myself down. Even on Zoloft, I am still getting panic attacks. I just started this program in hopes that I can get some control (ha ha) over my mind instead of "uping" my dose or switch my meds. I do not want to do that. I do not take Xanax everyday because I was given the RX on an "as needed basis" so I have never had the withdraw symptoms. I will say that if I didn't have it to get through some of those times that seemed impossible I don't know what I would have done. Have you talked to your dr about how you are feeling? I totally would love to be off all meds, but right now I know it is not possible. As my mom says, "These medicines are there for a reason." Just keep telling yourself that these episodes will pass, I know it is hard when you are in the middle of an attack. I have found that the relaxation cd had already helped me. It makes you relax and teaches you to control your breathing to make yourself calm down. It is something I have used without listening to it! :) I hope you are doing well! :D

rymorg2

Post by rymorg2 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:11 pm

I used to take Effexor but it was AWFUL to get off of (it took a long time) and now just have a prescription for xanax I use in a pinch (0.5 mg that I cut in at least half or less than that if I can) that I only take once or twice a week. My eventual goal is to not need this either. I went to my doc recently and he actually wanted to put me on a daily medication...I refused. I'm not going through that again.

You're not alone.

d1adsl5a

Post by d1adsl5a » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:52 pm

Xanax has to be the biggest mistake I have ever made. I have had insomnia, anxiety, depression for the last few months. I am going through a horrible divorce going on 2 years. I met a wonderful woman and i freaked out because I wasn't sure she was the one. I was a planner and I always knew my future. With her I don't. This happened 3 years ago with my then wife. It lasted a year. My wife at the time wasn't supportive. This girl is very supportive and understanding. I just got alot of anxiety about managing my life, my kids, the relationship, her 4 kids and I imploded. I tried antidepressants and my body rejected them. I was on Celexa before. This time I was getting tremors and couldn't do it. My ambien wasn't doing the job. After 2 months, I caved and got the xanax. I was on ativan 3 years ago. I had forgotten how hard it was to stop the medication. The first week was fantastic. I slept every night. Was taking .5 at bedtime with a little ambien. Then it started...A little anxiety in the afternoon. Couldn't be in same room with people without feeling anxious. So i started to taper..Got down to .25 and the rebound anxiety was getting worse. My Psychiatrist said to try a low dose of seroquel to sleep. So I started that as i am tapering the xanax.

July 19th: Had bad anxiety all day even though I had slept well the night before taking the seroquel and the .25 xanax. It wouldn't end. Finally, about 10pm I felt calm.

Last night, only got 4-5 hours of sleep when I took about .20 xanax. Today, 1pm. Full blown anxiety attack. Wanted to jump out of my skin. Was shaking... Had to leave office. Finally ended an hour later. Plan on tapering down to .125 tonight. Tomorrow could be hell again with the anxiety. I cannot believe I actually asked for this drug. It had to be one of the worst decisions I could have made. I hate taking medication to begin with. I am a VP with a large company. I have to pay $5,300 net to my soon to be ex wife every month. I have a great girlfriend that I can't seem to make a committment to because I am scared to death of making a wrong decision. I did break up with her for 2 months hoping that was the answer, but the insomnia and anxiety continued...God I hope this all ends soon....

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”