Help need answers!

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
grandma loves arielle

Help need answers!

Post by grandma loves arielle » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:30 pm

IM on lexapro 6 weeks and using ativan .5 morning & .25 afternoon daily. should I still need the ativan? IM using ativan to get through side effects and increased anxiety due to new med.I still need it and wonder if I should give it more time or call my Doc? I feel great on both meds but the ativan is only suppose to be temporary. HELP im worried.

Paisleegreen

Re: Help need answers!

Post by Paisleegreen » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:02 am

Grandma, How are you doing? Paislee

grandma loves arielle

Post by grandma loves arielle » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:09 am

Thanks for asking Paislee, Im seven weeks on Lex & still needing the ativan. Today I tried not to use it but then got shakey so I took it and now feel fine. I saw another post that said it took 8 weeks so I thougt Id wait & see. I feel great on both meds but my Doc doesnt want me on ativan daily only as needed.I hope IM not already addicted to the ativan since I was using it quite a bit before starting the lex. only small doses 3 or 4 x a week. Now I take .5 morning & .25 afternoon where I use to take .25 a few times a week.What do you think? My name is Donna.

Loveslife

Post by Loveslife » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:20 pm

Hi Donna,
I take Wellbutrin and Klonopin (sp), which is an AD and an anti anxiety med. For me, I think I'm becoming too reliant on the klonopin. I think I need to learn WHY I need an Anti anxiety med to begin with. So, I'm going to focus on that on Monday in therapy.
So, to answer your question, I believe you need to find the roots of your anxiety to finally be rid of anxiety. Meds help relieve the symptoms, but insight is the cure.
XO

Pauly J

Post by Pauly J » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:45 pm

You can continue to use Ativan until the Lexapro side effects lessen to a tolerable level! Unless doctor states otherwise! Some people take tranquilizers for years, yours is only for a short while! I think you will be fine once the Lexapro reaches is therapeutic level!

pauly j

Loveslife

Post by Loveslife » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:12 pm

Pauly J's answer seems much more accurate then mine.
I would listen to his answer. I didn't realize that you were taking the ativan to lesson the symptoms of the other. I'm sorry for such bad advise.
XO

Stack28

Post by Stack28 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:52 am

Grandma,
How much Lex are you taking? I also just started on Lex and need xanax because -for right now at least- the Lex seems to make my anxiety and panic attacks worse. Did that happen to you also? I took Lex for 7 years and took myself off about 6 months ago I remember it being hard to get on last time but I don't remember it being this bad. Only been back on for 2 weeks so hopefully it will get better. And I truly hope it will get better for you also. Maybe we should try not to worry about when we get off the other med. maybe it just adds to our problem. What do you think?

grandma loves arielle

Post by grandma loves arielle » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:20 pm

Thanks everyone for your support! To Stack Ive been on the lex 10 mg. for 7 weeks. It did increase my anxiety alot but from what Im reading on here its normal until your body gets use to it. It seems to only be that way when using for anxiety. People using primarily for depression dont seem to go through the same side effects. I guess its since our nervous system is so sensitive. Today I took less ativan and felt ok but I also had off work. If you read the posts on here on lexapro and there are many, you will see many people experiencing the same effects. It helps me to read them and learn from them. One person said it took 4 months to feel better but most say 2 to 8 weeks. I feel great and wish I had tried this years ago. It is so worth it to feel normal again. Also its just been clinically proven that lexapro works for menopause. Good news for women who cant use hrt. Good luck and hang in there its worth it!!!

Stack28

Post by Stack28 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:03 pm

It took me four months with xanax last time I went on Lex which was seven years ago. Hand in there it will get better.

grandma loves arielle

Post by grandma loves arielle » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:29 am

Hi Stack, you said it took 4 months on the zanax? How did you finally get off it? Did you wean down or just stop one day?Im 8 weeks on lex & still using ativan. Im trying to wean down but it scares me so I usually take it anyway.IM still using .5 in the morning and usually .25 afternoon especially when I work. I feel better knowing it took you a while longer I wont be as scared about it THANKS!

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”