Emotionally numb on Pristiq

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
amberlee

Emotionally numb on Pristiq

Post by amberlee » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:37 am

I have been on Pristiq (anti depressant) for 16 days now and I have had a lot of side effects at first including locked jaw, sweating of the hands and feet, increased heart rate, decreased appetite, insomnia, dry mouth, increased anxiety, tiredness, and headache the first day only, but now I have been feeling very lethargic and apathy. I don't have any emotions, most of the time I feel very calm and like I am just existing, lazy, no energy or motivation.

Has anybody felt this way on this medication? Does it get worse? Better?

Pauly J

Re: Emotionally numb on Pristiq

Post by Pauly J » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:16 am

That seems to be an awful lot of side effects! Talk to your doctor about these side effects! He may switch you to something else! If you can tolerate these side effects for a while longer, you may be able to see if the Pristiq will show improvement! It can take from 4-6 weeks to feel the full effects of the med! Side effects tend to go away after awhile! Some people get increased anxiety when starting a med! Some of these symptoms maybe from your anxiety or it may not! Only you would know! With the variety of symptoms that you are experiencing, I would definitely talk to the doctor about this! Good luck!

pauly j

sparechange

Re: Emotionally numb on Pristiq

Post by sparechange » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:56 am

I would also recommend talking to your doctor about decreasing the dose a little. I'm not a big person, and my doc tried to start me on a large dose of Zoloft a few weeks ago. I thought I was going to die. I'm now taking 1/4 the original dose, and that made all the difference. He actually mentioned to me the first time that too large a dose can make people very lethargic or "numb" to their emotions. Anyway, it's worth a shot. Or if it's really bothersome, try something else. There are tons of options, and everybody metabolizes medicine differently. I know it sucks having to wait for this stuff to kick in, but you don't want to stay on something that makes you miserable. Been there, done that.

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”