Weaning and scared

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
cosmogurl

Weaning and scared

Post by cosmogurl » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:58 pm

I am weaning off my Effexor that I have been on for quite a few years and I have been on anxiety meds for about 8 years. I am doing it with the help of my natural-path doc and he is going to put me on something natural based but I am so scared of the withdrawal symptoms because this med has been said to have some nasty withdrawals. My system is very sensitive and I am so scared has anyone else dealt with weaning off of Effexor before and how did it go?

Catty

Re: Weaning and scared

Post by Catty » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:49 pm

I went off Effexor a few years ago because it just wasn't doing it for me anymore. I was weaned off it for a period of about 3 weeks and was slowly put on Zoloft. It was a slow going and I did have to lean on Ativan but I got through it, as will you.... Be patient with yourself and think positive :D

cosmogurl

Post by cosmogurl » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:10 pm

Thank you Catty. I am doing my best. I am hoping that I don't run into to many side effects from withdrawals I am on 75 now and it has been a week. I know my doc is going to want to lower me again for this week. I am a little afraid but trying to stay positive. It is hard when depression is in play you know. Thank you for your support and if anyone else has any other suggestions that might help me get through this Don't hesitate. Thanks!

HopefulDreams

Post by HopefulDreams » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:31 pm

i was on effexxor for 3 years and did great on it.. then.. i wanted to try for a baby so my doc started to wean me off... first lowered it for about 3 months.. then made it 37.5mg every other day for about another 4-5 months... I was too anxious though seeing i was doing great i asked to be removed... i did and did fabulous! BUT... 3 months after i had a MAJOR PANIC ATTACK.. that went on for too long and eventually needed hospitalization... (not to scare you .. but please make sure all your ducks are in a row before coming off this)... Now they put me on Lithium :-( because the severeity of the depression was too much to bare... lithium has side effects while your on it... so you have to be monitored closely.. but no side effects at all if removed at the right time...have a good relationship with your doc and therapist and be confident... I'm working on my anger b/c teh docs don't even think i'm bipolar just so angry that my anxiety escalates and looks like a bipolar depression... who knows its so subjective... Just remember do it for yourself first.. never mind teh people you love.. they will support you through this and love you anyway... e strong and carry on.. you'll be a better person because of all this

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:29 pm

I switched from Effexor to Cymbalta at the same time was taking Wellbutrin and Restoril to help calm down restless leg syndrome, (probably due to the AD's!) anyway, I weaned off of the Cymbalta then many months later went off the Wellbutrin with the help of Xanax. I was introduced to Xanax at the time since I was experiencing "rubbery or jelly leg feeling". The Dr didn't explain that that is part of weaning off a drug. That it was part of withdrawal symptoms. Anyway, through the help of a Psychologist and Dr David Burns Feeling Good book and his workbook 10 Steps to Self Esteem, I was able to wean off of the Wellbutrin and Xanax. But I did experience my first panic attack which can come when someone does wean off of a Benzodiazapine.

This got me all "excited" a nervous wreck because I wasn't use to feeling anxious like this and some Physician Assistant put me on Beta Blockers and Remeron. I finally weaned off of those and discovered StressCenter.com and Lucinda's program thanks to my sister. So I was able to wean off of the meds with the help of this program and being able to post here and get support.

I wish you good luck and mental health. We're here for you as you go through this challenge. Paislee :mrgreen:

cosmogurl

Post by cosmogurl » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:55 pm

Thank you guys so much for you posts. I am down to a little below 75m and I am doing pretty well, a little dizzy but otherwise not too bad so I am keeping positive. Plus I am going thru a lot of stress right now so the fact that I am not totally ' freaking out' is good. I am so excited and scared to get off the meds. All in all i think it will be good. I just have to keep on keeping on. Thanks again :D

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”