Venlafaxine and weight gain

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
Satu

Venlafaxine and weight gain

Post by Satu » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:41 am

Hi,

I've been on Cipralex 20mgs (Lexapro is the same and escitalopram is the ingredient) for a year and a half now and have a problem of having gained a little bit of weight (10lbs) and have a very hard time trying to lose the weight. Taken how a healthy diet I have and that I do competition dancing, yoga and horde riding, losing a few lbs should not be a problem, but the medication just seems to make it impossible. I was even without sugar for 3.5 months and almost nothing came off. Cipralex didn't cause weight gain at 10mgs, but only after it was lifted to 20mgs.

I've been on Venlafaxine (brand name: Effexor and Efexor) in the past for half a year and I don't think I gained any weight. However the dose was lower. Does anyone have experience on weight gain with Venlafaxine and what was the dose if yes?

Thanks.

AshleyZ

Re: Venlafaxine and weight gain

Post by AshleyZ » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:15 am

I didnt gain any weight and i've been on 135mg for over a year daily.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:56 pm

I gained weight after being on Effexor, I've lost weight after I got off of Cymbalta, I was put on Cymbalta when I wanted to be off of Effexor. But have always been on Wellbutrin, where I didn't gain weight that I can think of or remember. Grief was part of my weight gain I would have say.

Ammy

Post by Ammy » Mon May 09, 2011 6:30 am

Venlafaxine works well and restoring the balance of serotonin in the brain. It can cause side effects such as dizziness, headache, loss of appetite, nausea, and weakness

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”