New to the program

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
Beckajane

New to the program

Post by Beckajane » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:32 am

I have recently started the program. I have had occasional panic attacks for over a year and a half. In December I was hospitalized after fainting at home-all tests led to NeuroCardiogenic Syncope. My primary care physician put me on Lexapro and I had terrible side effects along with more panic attacks. I have recently been put on Zoloft (25mg) I still have panic attacks in the morning and am now experience them in the middle of the night. I take Xanax (o.5mg) whenever I have these attacks. My dr. office told me to increase the Zoloft another 1/2 pill a day. When I did that I experience more anxiety and more side effects...this is very scary...I am currently on disability from work and I feel like my life is worthless. How quickly can I get through this program so that I can be back to "normal" again?

shimdan

Re: New to the program

Post by shimdan » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:21 pm

I believe each person is different in their rate of progress.

Amy74

Post by Amy74 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:00 pm

Hi Beckajane,
Welcome! I can tell how scared and frustrated you are from your post. I know, this stuff is so scary. And starting meds can be so frustrating too, because the anxiety symptoms and medication side effects intermingle and can exacerbate each other. You are not alone. I've been suffering from on and off panic and anxiety since I was a child. I went through the program two years ago without meds and it was amazing. I felt the best I have ever felt. I supplemented the program with meditation, yoga, self-help, etc. which helped even more. Unfortunately, once I started feeling so great, I kind of got lazy and let everything go and let my stress level build and build and ended up recently in another episode. I was also hospitalized in October for a dizzy spell, which turned out to be nothing (i.e. probably severe anxiety). I recently (3 weeks ago) started Lexapro to help take the edge off while I rework the program and change my lifestyle to promote my health and well-being (exercise, meditation, yoga, etc.). I am really sensitive to meds, as many of us are, and am having all sorts of side effects (agitation, tense, nervous stomach, early morning waking, etc.). I'm trying to stick with it until they subside as it seems from reading other's posts, they do. I was on Celexa for 7 years and it worked really well. I had bad reactions to Prozac and Paxil. It's a balance of finding a med that you can tolerate while your body adjusts. I think all meds have initial side effects and you just have to figure out what you can tolerate and what you cannot. You just have to be patient, which I know is the hardest thing when you feel this way. Recovery takes time and you can't rush it. But your life is not worthless and you will feel better. One thing I might recommend to supplement the program is working through the Panic Attacks Workbook by David Carbonell. I have found his approach very helpful. Good luck, and keep posting and using the community -- it can be really helpful. Hang in there. You are not in this alone!

Toni Louise

Post by Toni Louise » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:43 pm

December 26, I had a major episode.It was so bad that I was afraid to get on the interstate. I called 911 because I was so afraid that I was having a heart attack. It was the strongest wave of fear I have ever felt. All of sudden I felt the uttmost fear and felt as if my whole body was cold. I was dizzy, short of breath and felt as if I would pass out. I wanted to run. I wanted to be near someone in case I was going to die. My thought was this, I am going to die and it is going to happen any second. This is it! Early in the winter on the first snow storm of the year, I h ad a near accident that put me in the path of a moving 18 wheeler. I was sliding into his path and I cried out to GOD to help me. I slid out of his path, he just missed me, I just missed him.I was so stunned that I could not move. As my car slid out of control in the paths of three cars and then the truck, the thought came to mind, This is it, this is how it is going to be. It again was the extreme fear, the cold all over feeling...everyday in my job I travel 50 miles to get to my first patient.
I had another spell yesterday. I woke up not feeling up to snuff, kinda down. The night before, I had a dessert and a glass of wine.I just started my prozac again (2 weeks) now. I have not exercised in a very long time. I had waves of anxiety all day, if I just started feeling overwhelmed. I felt scared that I was going crazy and I felt like I wanted to be safe somewhere where there were professionals. A negative thought would bring on a wave. It was so nice out, I went outside and started cutting bushes in the yard. I felt tired but better,This morning I went for a walk. I am drinking half and half coffee for now. I am also thinking about looking for another job. I work in Hospice, I like my job, but am feeling very bored with it. I spend too much time on the road. 2.5 hours of driving, 150 miles per day. Too much time to think and over think things over. Mulling in my mind. I have this time to stew, time I dont need. I need to be busy, I have to be stimulated and I am not. It is a drudgery to me. It is depressing me. Thank goodness the snow is over. Anyhow I am trying to be more mindful of me and what I am doing.

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”