Does weight come off after weaning off meds?

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
Brandi Menifee

Does weight come off after weaning off meds?

Post by Brandi Menifee » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:58 pm

Hey guys! I've been taking Lexapro for a little over 2 yrs now, and it has worked wonders 4 me as far as my anxiety goes! Unfortunately since I've been on them I've gained at least 40-50lbs!!! Not saying it has all been the meds, cuz i have been w/out a job really since July 2009. I've exercised off and on, and watched my eating off and on, never consistant. Under my doctors care, I have been trying to wean off Lexapro very slowly. I'll prolly b completely off of them in another month or so, depending on how it goes. So far, so good. However, I was jus wondering if anyone's gained alot of weight taking antideppressants, cuz I've heard that some ppl do? If so, if anyone that has gained weight, and then weaned off, after feeling better that is from the anxiety/depression, has the weight come off? Is there anyone out there that has gained weight on their meds, weaned off, and then the weight went back down? Anyone?? I'm jus wondering cuz I have always been slim, never skinny, but slim all my life. I have NEVER been this big!!! I am a 6ft tall female, I think I should b slim, and of course it matters!!! I'm tryin 2 get back 2 watchin what I eat, and exercise a little EVERYDAY! Don't get me wrong, I'm no longer in my 20's, but I am only 31yrs old! Has my metabolism slowed that much??? I've has blood work done 2 make sure its not a medical issue, and I'm fine on that end, PRAISE GOD! Jus wondering, let me kno please????

Paisleegreen

Re: Does weight come off after weaning off meds?

Post by Paisleegreen » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:32 am

Yes, you will lose weight after you wean off of anti-depressants. :)

johnny77

Post by johnny77 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:59 pm

Hello, yes I too have experiance weight gain in the past and even now from antideppressants.

The first was with Celexa. I gained 35lbs. I never gain weight. after being off for about six months my weight gradually decreased in fact went under weight for ahwile but I think that was poor eating habits maybe.

So is this normal to gain weight? I know so from experiacne and if your labs were normal then it's gotta be the meds.

Fyi, I am now on Lamictal 300mg and the same problem. I went from the 150's to 176! Ive never been that heavy in my life. I'm 5"7.

I do weight lifting so the one benift I get is im bulking up, turning the fat into muscle (kinda of unintentially cheating, J/k)_however I have added more cardio and ab work to my regimen to see if I can slim down a little. We'll see.

I would suggest consistant exercise and unless your trying gain major muscle mass as some women do, I would focus more primarly on cardio as many times a week as you can maybe 30minutes and day and definatley watch what you eat as you may not burn it off as easily while on this medication.

talk to a professional healther expert also on how to accomplish this.

Keep in touch, and take care.

gardengirl1531

Post by gardengirl1531 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:10 pm

I have gained 40 lbs over the last two years being on Celexa. For Lent, I am doing the HCG diet drops and low calories. I truly pray that my body doesn't get chemically unbalanced and trigger a downward spiral in my depression. Has anyone trirf HCG? My MD wouldn't comment on it and my Pharmacist thought thrtr wouldn't be any adverse reactions. I'm doing it--my clothes don't fit :o

shimdan

Post by shimdan » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:58 pm

I always gain weight on depression meds. Looking at photos I can tell when I was on meds and not. Last was Celexa and after I went off I joined weight watchers and lost the weight. It has been a year since meds. and really feel my brain is in overdrive but just dread the weight gain of depression meds. Of course some people do not gain but I don't all into that group.

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”